Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #1
MrMeeks
Established Member

M.O.C. #18450
Trailer Brake Wsrning

My 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax sends a random warning message to "SERVICE TRAILER BRAKE". Has happened with and without trailer attached. Truck only had 15k miles but has been doing it for past 8k miles. Dealer is useless as we can't duplicate warning when I bring it in.
Usually after I shut engine down, chime won't return for a several hundred miles. YouTube suggests relay at rear could be problem, but I thought I'd throw it out to the Forum for some insight. Thx.

MrMeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
Kind of a known problem for GM brake controllers, could be a loose connection, bad relay, or somewhere where moisture is getting in. After crawling under mine from one end to the other more than once I finally ran a new "hot" wire from the plug under the dash to the plug at the rear under the bumper and got a regular brake control.
By running a new wire you are able to use the plug in feature on the new control. At least on mine that was true. Just trying to plug it in to the factory harness it wasn't working as I think the factory control was overriding the aftermarket one, if that makes sense to you.
I think the braking seems better with the aftermarket one than with the factory one, or at least on mine.
Not saying you won't find the problem but in my situation it started on rainy days and continually got worse, with and without trailer. Pulled every connection apart cleaned all contacts and put dialectic grease on all. Finally just bypassed factory and haven't had a problem since.
Hope this helps
cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote