Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2006, 02:04 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Direct Tv second receiver question

Good morning, fellow travellers,
When we had our Keystone Sprinter TT, I usually just unplugged the pile of Spaghetti-like wiring that I have on my Direct Tv receiver-Tivo-surround sound, in my entertainment center at our stick home, and put it in the TT, and then tried to remember how all of the wires and cables hooked up.
Now we have a permanent sat. dish on the Monte, and I do have a second Direct Tv sat receiver, we don't use, I want to install and leave in the Monte. Do I understand that it's a $5.00 a month fee for having Two? I also heard you just call them and they switch service from one to the other. When I moved the main one, I didn't have to call, I just moved it and it worked fine.
Any input for ole Ozz on this?
Thanks.

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:01 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Ozz. We also have direct TV in our Montana and in our home. We were told last winter that you need to designate a receiver for your RV to maintain a good picture. Since we upgraded one receiver to HDTV in the house, we then took the old one out in our RV. (we used to use the one in our bedroom last winter in Florida). The reason for the change in policy was in several locations, it was unlawfull to pull down local stations on Direct TV like we have in the house. So they went to the policy of designating a receiver for the RV. What that means is that I cannot get my local channels like i did last winter in the RV now. The good part is that you can call Direct TV and have that receiver in your RV turned on and off. They prorate the 5.00 charge for only the days you have the unit turned on. And yes, If your close to your home location, your receiver will work in your RV without telling DirectTV. Our problem was our home was in Virginia and we were in Florida for the winter. Different area and I had to call each time we moved to get a picture. The antenna is automatic on the roof, and I got a good signal, just no picture. A click of a switch at DirectTV and I was back in business. Now if that happens again, I won't get any static from Direct Tv since this receiver is designated for the RV in their files. Im sure this little note is clear as mud. Its another way to get your money and keep them out of being sued by cable providers in some areas of the states.

Ken and Velda
Mindy (Our spoiled cocker spaniel)
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana w/automatic satellite dome/dish
2005 2500HD GMC 4x4 Crewcab with Duramax/Allison and edge/attitude, 45 gal transfer flo tank, Air Lift air springs, and Doran tire pressure alert system.

ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:02 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tell you what Ozz Direct TV will give you all kinds of grief if you tell them you are going to put the receiver in a RV and what they tell you is all BS. We have 4 receivers in the house and the extra receivers over 1 do cost 4.99 each extra. We just take one or two out and transfer them to the RV. I would just call them and activate your second receiver,,they will ask your where it is located and just say...family room, kitchen, bedroom whatever. you will have to call because they will have to send you a card for the new receiver. We keep one receiver permanent in the 3400..no problem.. Just do not Mention the word...RV.. NOW. to deal with the wiring and cabling nightmare so that you can watch sat, switch to antenna ..and listen to FM without losing something...We gave up due to lack of time and frustration.Check your antenna reception on the low channels 2 or 3..if you have them in your area..if the reception is poor, wavy lines static, etc ..you have grounding/miss match problems..

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:08 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Tell you what Ozz Direct TV will give you all kinds of grief if you tell them you are going to put the receiver in a RV and what they tell you is all BS. We have 4 receivers in the house and the extra receivers over 1 do cost 4.99 each extra. We just take one or two out and transfer them to the RV. I would just call them and activate your second receiver,,they will ask your where it is located and just say...family room, kitchen, bedroom whatever. you will have to call because they will have to send you a card for the new receiver. We keep one receiver permanent in the 3400..no problem.. Just do not Mention the word...RV.. NOW. to deal with the wiring and cabling nightmare so that you can watch sat, switch to antenna ..and listen to FM without losing something...We gave up due to lack of time and frustration.Check your antenna reception on the low channels 2 or 3..if you have them in your area..if the reception is poor, wavy lines static, etc ..you have grounding/miss match problems.. Oh..Ken got his post in before mine...Local channels are "spot beamed" so you will NOT get your local channels outside of that "spot Beam" If we are in Tuscon , Arz we really do not care about the Clevelnad Local channels and you can pull in the Tucson local channels via your antenna. If your home town channels are not a issue when you are on the road..just move your receiver into the camper..

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 09-10-2006, 06:49 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We just take our receivers out of the house and put them in the Monty. Don't tell DirecTV anything. If we want local channels (for weather) we switch to antenna. This has worked for us so far. It might be different as we get further away but it worked in Flagstaff this summer.
Happy trails....................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:56 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sue, that's what I've been doing, but I want to have one in there permanent, especially since I have an extra.

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Old 09-10-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ozz, do what richfa said and get it activated to your house. We take the box from the den and when we get to where we are going, I just reprogram the zip code in That will give you the angles and degrees you need for that area. Just remember to program in the LNBs on your dish, 1,2, or three LNB and the Direct TV satalite finder will ping when you locate them or use a meter. If you are at a campground fumbling around with this setup. you will have help come out of the woodpile! I think after this whole summer of trying it I have finally got it working.(well sometimes!)

Steve&Patti 2004 model 3280
2002 Duramax 4x4 crew cab SB
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We have one in the house designated as RV; we use it in both places. It works well and not had any problems.

Native Tex

O.V. & Kathy Bonner
Miss Ko-Ko (Chocolate Lab)
Huntsville, Al
'05, 3400RL
'05 F250 Ford King Ranch, CC, FX4/4x4, 6.0L PSD

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/AL/Huntsville.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Huntsville, Alabama Forecast" height=40 width=467[/img]

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Ozz
So have it activated at home and tell them it is in the bedroom or bathroom or whatever. Unless you are full timing, there is no need to tell them anything else. My daughter has 6 or 7 in her house (big house - lots of rooms). DirecTV does not know where you are or what room you are in. When we first installed ours we were in the 5th wheel and they just came out and put it on the ladder. We then took it off the ladder and bought the tripod. Later we added another receiver and still no problem.
Happy trails.......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
Old 09-13-2006, 03:26 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Ken,
(Ken has his unit earmarked for the Montana)
Do you get those annoying messages stating your phone line is down, or something, while away, because you are not connected to the phone lines?
Also, if I am setting up here in K.C. Mo. and get a picture in my RV all tuned in, 'Break camp' move the Monte to Oklahoma for 2 days, then on to Texas for two days, then on to South Padre, do I get a signal all the way down, or do I have to call them every time we go to a different location?
I am still debating on where to tell them my receiver is. (We have the Winegard sat dish on the roof as well)
Thanks a bunch.

I like the idea of shutting off the service when we aren't using it, but want to leave the second unit hooked up in the Monte.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Old 09-13-2006, 03:49 AM   #11
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Yup, I agree: what Direct TV does not know will not hurt them. We take one of our receivers with us all of the time and have not had any problems with reception or the like. I think we even got our local San Diego channels when we were in Laughlin, NV.

Thomas J.
'05 3500 DRW Duramax Crew Cab
'04 Montana 3685 FL
"What WAS the greastest thing BEFORE sliced bread?"

tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:06 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Check this out for dirctv Spot beams http://www.tivofan.com/directv/channels.html Note that The Cleveland Local channel are 921 to 927 and use transponder #4 that covers 921 to 933 and we could get our local channels in Philidelphia, Memphis, Denver and Sacramento since those markets use the same spot beam transponder.. You will of course have to adj your azmuth as you travel north and south..check the zip code for your new area.

Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 09-13-2006, 04:14 AM   #13
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
They told me that only one had to be connected into a telephone line.

When I first signed up for Direct TV they sent me an e-mail assuring me that taking one in an RV would be ok.

Never had a problem with them but I always take an older receiver.

Tom and Betty
1997 F250 PSD/AutoTranny
DIY Exaust Brake w/TC lockup
AutoMeter Tranny/EGT Gage
Translife Tranny Cooler
Superchips Towsafe
16K Draw-tite Slider
2000 Montana 2850RK
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:53 AM   #14
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We have 3 receivers, one without hookup to phone so we take that in the RV. Direct is giving us grief over getting east coast channels. We had them with Dish Network and love watching some shows early. We had to fill out a long form for Direct and have not yet heard back if we will be "allowed" to pay $5 extra for the east coast channels. All we did with Dish Network was send a copy of our RV registration.

We also have HD at home in one room and they would not allow us to get HD west coast networks, even though we pay extra for HD, because it interferes with our local channels, though they are not yet set up to transmit in HD. So far our experience with Direct TV is not at all like we had with Dish Network. When our year is up we may return to Dish, though we switched because we wanted to bundle services in one bill (QWest) and we might want satellite internet at some point.

Roy and Nancy

2001 F250 CC 4x4 Lariat diesel
2005 Montana 2955RL

toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:45 AM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Both of our receivers have never been hooked up to a phone line and there is no problem and we don't get any messages from DirecTV. If we want to order Pay Per View, I do it on the internet.
Happy trails.........................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
Old 09-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #16
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
I've got an older Directv Tivo in the trailer. As mentioned, you'll see your locals a good distance from home as long as you stay within the spot beam. Once outside the spot beam, you'll lose your locals, which means you won't have network programming from the big four. In some locations, your antenna or campground cable will provide the local network affiliates for that region. I've never told Direct that the Tivo is in the RV. I don't think they care. Because it is not connected to a phone line, I get a nag screen telling me to have the machine call Direct. Occasionally, I take it home and let it do that; it's not necessary, the nag screen only shows when I try to access a recorded program. If you're using a non-recording receiver, I don't think you'll see the nag screen.

Rich may be right that if you travel far enough you'll encounter your locals on another spot beam from the same transponders. I'm not sure, but that is possible. Here is a link to a map showing the Standard Definition spot beams: http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtv.html
It will give you some idea of how far you can travel from home and still receive your local stations.

Once you lose locals, you still receive all the other channels Direct provides, so there is plenty to watch. If you get an RV account, Direct provides either the LA or NY network stations, so you always have them. Direct treats an RV account as a separate account. Rather than paying a $5 fee for the extra receiver, you'll pay for a full separate account.

Whenever you move, regardless of the type of account you have, you'll need to adjust the dish to receive the signal in the new location.

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/CA/Woodland.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Woodland, California Forecast" height=40 width=467[/img]

Bill and Mariana McCamy
'05 F-250 Lariat 6L PSD
'05 2955RL
Woodland, CA
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lije Baley

I've got an older Directv Tivo in the trailer. As mentioned, you'll see your locals a good distance from home as long as you stay within the spot beam. Once outside the spot beam, you'll lose your locals, which means you won't have network programming from the big four. In some locations, your antenna or campground cable will provide the local network affiliates for that region. I've never told Direct that the Tivo is in the RV. I don't think they care. Because it is not connected to a phone line, I get a nag screen telling me to have the machine call Direct. Occasionally, I take it home and let it do that; it's not necessary, the nag screen only shows when I try to access a recorded program. If you're using a non-recording receiver, I don't think you'll see the nag screen.

Rich may be right that if you travel far enough you'll encounter your locals on another spot beam from the same transponders. I'm not sure, but that is possible. Here is a link to a map showing the Standard Definition spot beams: http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtv.html
It will give you some idea of how far you can travel from home and still receive your local stations.

Once you lose locals, you still receive all the other channels Direct provides, so there is plenty to watch. If you get an RV account, Direct provides either the LA or NY network stations, so you always have them. Direct treats an RV account as a separate account. Rather than paying a $5 fee for the extra receiver, you'll pay for a full separate account.

Whenever you move, regardless of the type of account you have, you'll need to adjust the dish to receive the signal in the new location.
Wow, this is the first I have heard about a separate account, you mean that I will have Two billings, one at the house, and one on the road? (I guess I can hold the one at the house while on the road, right?)
This information makes just adding a receiver at the house even more attractive.
I could care less about the local channels, nothing but K.C. crime news, don't watch local news anyway.
Thanks for helping.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU