Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
amyed
Established Member

M.O.C. #25043
Question Stero amp replacement

We have a 2008 model 3400RL fifth wheel. The stereo surround unit stopped working, so we threw it out. BIG mistake! We took no information from the stereo. Now we are looking to buy a new stereo and have no good idea what to get. We have 9 typical RV speakers: 2-bedroom, 2-livingroom, 3-above TV, TV itself, 1 subwoofer. Looking for help with what to buy. (I would like not to spend a fortune.) Thanks

amyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Look on the back of one of those speakers. Probably says 4 ohms impedance. That means you will either be looking at a "home theater in a box" system or go with a larger home theater amplifier. I went with a onkyo tr-nr676, which is capable of different speaker impedances, user settable. Easiest way is just to go into best buy and get a samsung home theater in a box or a Sony htb.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
amyed
Established Member

M.O.C. #25043
Thanks for the reply. The speakers in the living room are 3" sq with no info on them anywhere. The three above the TV are also 3" sq and are built in. I could take the 2 in the bedroom out but I would guess they are generic with no info. I'm not looking for concert quality just something to help the wife hear without her hearing aids. (and a way to hook up the 9 speakers)
Old 11-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #4
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
You probably have the same system I do. The speakers in the living room are all for the dvd surround sound. 2 rear. 2 front. 1 center and the sub. the two the bedroom just work off the cd player. I new in box system should work. you will just have to figure out which wire goes to what speaker, unless they are marked
Old 11-30-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
amyed
Established Member

M.O.C. #25043
stereo

Your description sounds right. The wires are marked, so that job will be easy. I have found a 100W 5 channel Power Stereo Receiver or a 300W 4 channel Power Amplifier. Both under $100. I'm leaning toward the 300W unit because I'll have to double up on the speakers and the extra power may help. I'll think on it till Cyber Monday. lol Thanks for your input.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My DVD/surround sound system in my 2007 died years ago. The cabinet opening in mine is rather small vertically. I measured it, wrote down the dimensions, and went to Best Buy and found a blue ray home theater system that would fit in the cabinet. The new speakers that came with it were slightly larger and I did have to slightly enlarge those cabinet openings. I mounted the new speakers and used the existing speaker wiring. The new system does not have outputs for the bedroom speakers, but we never used those anyway.
I connected the TV audio output to the new system audio input to get TV sound thru those speakers. Sounds much better than the old no name system.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
amyed
Established Member

M.O.C. #25043
Sounds like you found the right fit for your system. Maybe my system will work out as well. thanks
Old 12-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
zwma6@aol.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #23559
This forum is super helpful for all of us ! I also have a 3400RL 2009 . My dog MAGGIE and I are full timers and LUV the COACH !! Big fireplace, KING bed. When I got it the stereo was gone and I knew that was fine. I do have all the speakers. I m going to connect a large home power amp (one of these days) agghhhhhhhh it's not easy being retired...…..lol L A Z Y Mark Z these posts were helpful....GOD bless you'all
zwma6@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote