Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #21
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
A good comment on the delivery inspection at dealers. A few dealers do a good job of inspections on trailers at the time the transporter pulls into the dealership. I have transported rv's for 8 years and can tell you that some dealers are in a hurry and do little to check out the delivery. If the door opens and they can find the paperwork and keys they send the transporter on his way. I know of good dealers that do a delivery inspection and will give the transporter a meal ticket at a local restaurant while they check the rv over. The dealer has the right to reject a rv if he finds a number of defect issues but most will repair the issues at the dealership and make notes on the paperwork that the transporter mails back to the transport company and is then sent to the manufacturer so the transport company is paid for the delivery. The dealer has a delivery check sheet and it should be filled out at the time of delivery. If you are to purchase a new rv ask for the delivery inspection sheet for that rv, if they tell you they never heard of one, find another dealer.

old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #22
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I for one can't kick on Montana's. They have been super on all issues I've had with ours. I have an 08 which I bought in Sept of 09. It sat on the dealers lot for two years before I bought it.
The first year while we were in Fl after delivery, the converter & the landing gear motor went out. The dealer had Keystone drop ship the two components to me & I replaced them down there. Also my DVD player went out & yes, they drop shipped me a replacement. All I had to do was return the bad parts when we got home.
Last month, I had several decals peeling & the dealer replaced all of them & labor courtesy of Keystone!

Yes, I would buy another without hesitation!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #23
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

I have been watching this thread but had nothing to add until today.

We have the Montana in a RV park in south Florida. Next to us is a 2010 SOB fifth wheel the same size as our Montana but built by a company not owned by Thor Industries.

My wife received an invitation from one of the extended warranty companies that is often mentioned here on the forum.

Both my wife and the woman next door sent applications to them.

The quote for the Montana was double the annul cost for the SOB and the deductible for the Montana was 10 times greater than the SOB.

Insurance underwriters do do their research.

Phil P
Phil, Would you mind providing us the name of the extended warrenty company as well as the make of the SOB? Jim
Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #24
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I won’t comment on the insurance company except that a lot of people on this forum have good things to say about them.

The fifth wheel was a KZ.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #25
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Guess I don't understand why you won't give the name of the insurance company. I don't see where they are doing anything wrong. Don't see what they are doing as any different then a health insurer giving different rates to smokers and non smokers. If they have already done the research on what brands give them the most trouble I might want to take advantage of that research. Jim
Old 10-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #26
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
[quote]quote:Originally posted by jimcol

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

I have been watching this thread but had nothing to add until today.

We have the Montana in a RV park in south Florida. Next to us is a 2010 SOB fifth wheel the same size as our Montana but built by a company not owned by Thor Industries.

My wife received an invitation from one of the extended warranty companies that is often mentioned here on the forum.

Both my wife and the woman next door sent applications to them.

The quote for the Montana was double the annul cost for the SOB and the deductible for the Montana was 10 times greater than the SOB.

Insurance underwriters do do their research.

Phil P
That's strange. Before I traded for my 3750FL I had a 2008 Carri-Lite (36SBQ), and the same exact covereage, same deductable, from the same company, was $500 cheaper on the Montana than it was on the Carriage product when purchased new. Maybe just different insurance companies have different experience rates.
Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would like to see those quotes. Could you post them Black out the company name but that is very hard to believe. There had to be a error as we have friends with a SOb same year as our Montana and the coverage with the same company is the same.... You usually select the deductible it is not assigned.
the quote would be more for a SOB if the SOB cost considerably more..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #28
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I can't say anything bad about Keystone either. I took it in for a couple of small fixes while we were at the rally. They looked it completely over and found a couple of big things. One was the brand new washer/dry had been leaking from day one and rotted out the floor under it. They fixed their items and then replaced the floor, showed me what I needed to talk to the washer folks about and reinforced the floor better than original. On my big slide they found that the hole was a little too small. They took the slide out, cut the hole bigger and then put the slide back in and gave me all new woodwork instead of just nailing the old back in place. On a Hickory addition that was a fair amount of money for them to spend.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #29
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Phil, I watched closely at the rally to see how Keystone responded to problems. After seeing several go for repairs and hearing several responses from them, I'm compelled to say that they all seemed to be well satisfied. I did not find one who was charged for repairs. Some could have been charged but I didn't find one. Wish you and Sally had been there. Maybe you would have had a better outcome. IMHO Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
tell you what.. we have had our share of problems with this 06 3400 and I have cursed it and the day I purchased it more than once.However I can not think of another brand that I can afford that would be any better than the Montana.If I thought there was I would purchase it in a heart beat. We have received nothing but excellent service from Keystone and Montana over the years and we will not give that up..We will purchase the Montana 3402 in the spring and we will have problems with it and I will curse it and Montana and the RV industry and we will be at the 2012 fall rally with our new 3402 and it will be at the service center being repaired by Darrell and his crew . I know all those things and we will purchase anyway.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #31
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

There seems to be some disparity here. Keystone will not even talk to me about selling me parts to repair this unit with.

The problem I have is exactly the same as DQDick with one very big difference. The leak that caused the rot was entirely Keystones fault not one of their vendors.

They said in writing that it was my responsibility to have discovered this water leak before it damaged the trailer. In addition to this they verbally told me it was my responsibility to have disassembled the trailer and determine if they had sealed all areas that was required to be sealed including removing the shower and sink drains to make sure they were sealed.

The portion of the manual they refer to only talks about the outside of the trailer and says nothing about the inside.

These kinds of disparities only further illustrate the lack of integrity at Keystone.

The dealer repeatedly lied to me about the tires, wheels, water leaks and made promises to contact keystone the next busyness day and then didn’t until 3 days latter when they had been made fully aware that the trailer and myself had to be some 400 miles away on the day the finally contacted Keystone.

While I have an aversion to doing business with the blood-sucking attorneys that handle this kind of dispute I have one that has repeatedly requested me to let him sue the dealer and Keystone.

The more I hear of Keystone apparently taking reasonability for similar items the more I am convinced they are discriminating against me.

Phil P

Old 10-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #32
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

BTW, in 10 months we'll be buying another RV, and guarantee it will not be a Montana.

Robbie, we jumped ship last Feb. We are very happy with our other brand. It has not been perfect but every issue has been taken care of with no hassles. The selling dealer sucked but the one we found is great. They also sell Montanas.

Things I looked for: No Lippert components of any kind. No Dometic products. Nothing with a hydraulic system. We are happy campers.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:12 AM   #33
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by clutch

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

BTW, in 10 months we'll be buying another RV, and guarantee it will not be a Montana.

Robbie, we jumped ship last Feb. We are very happy with our other brand. It has not been perfect but every issue has been taken care of with no hassles. The selling dealer sucked but the one we found is great. They also sell Montanas.

Things I looked for: No Lippert components of any kind. No Dometic products. Nothing with a hydraulic system. We are happy campers.
Like minds think alike!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #34
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
What 5th wheel made does not have Lippert product(s)? I thought they had the corner on many rig products??
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #35
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I helped a guy with his SOB yesterday and noted his slides work on a “Rack & Pinion” arrangement not hydraulic.

My wife and I looked at an SOB in Tennessee that had cable operated slides not hydraulic.

Unfortunately I can’t remember the trade names of both but I think the one yesterday was a Monoco.

Phil P
Old 10-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Keystone does not sell directly to the consumer that is common knowledge. Parts need to be ordered through a dealer. I am sure the dealer will order any part you may need. In fact most vendors will not sell directly to the consumer.

Montana uses cable operated slides.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #37
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Cables break, electric motors fail, gears break, nothing is foolproof
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #38
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
We love ours, less work than our stick house, don't have to mow grass or rake leaves or paint.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #39
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am confused. If you sell you Montana and were dissatisfied with it, why do you continue to post on this forum to tell us how great your new SOB choice is. Bad mouthing Montana on a Montana forum when you don't own one is, to me, poor taste. Owners have a right to gripe if they wish.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #40
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
For those who have jumped ship, what did you purchase? Is the new unit a comparable unit or in another price category?

We have friends with Forest River, Jayco, Double Tree units, Monoco Class A, Winebago Class A, even a Prevo, and they all have had problems. There have been shackle problems, hydraulic problems, blown tires, defective AC, refrig issue, water leaks around slides (class A). In some cases the repairs were done ok, other issues the support was lacking. In a couple of cases, the only fix was to return to the manufacture service center for a repair. It appears that all manufacturers have problems that require some support and repair.

So, maybe we can call this topic a closed topic, in regard to the fact that Keystone has poor business practice and poor quality, as compared to other manufacturers.

THIS IS JUST MY HO
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote