Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Crack in floor of Garden tub

We have developed a crack in the bottom of the garden tub. Any ideas on an appropriate repair? I am in the process of applying silicon sealant to the crack and trying Eternabond on the underneath side, to hopefully support the area around the crack and prevent further cracking. I may apply a piece of Eternabond to the inside floor as well. It will not look good, but hopefully return to full functionality.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bob, Perhaps a foam support under the Eternabond repair underneath may help support it. I have the same model and year but no cracks (Yet)!! Let us know what you end up doing.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes... Put some support under the tub.. We used heavy duty styrofoam from Day one as suggested on this forum.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I repaired one successfully in our previous TT. I removed it completely and fiberglassed the bottom - everything can be purchased from WalMart (resin, glass cloth, squeegie, etc). Then I did what Rich did - stacked up pieces of heavy styrofoam - bought a sheet at Home Depot in the insulation department to support the bottom.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I have heavy styra-foam under the tub. I have placed eternabond underneath the tub covering the crack plus some area around the floor. I purchased a tub repair kit from Lowe's. I drilled very small holes at each end of the crack to stop it from continuing to crack. The kit contains epoxy that is pliable like clay. You spread it on the crack and smooth it out. Let it dry for 1 hour and then sand to a smooth finish. (Everything is in the kit).

Our first test will be tomorrow morning. I will let you all know

Old 03-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bob, I think I've read here on the forum on other threads of cracking and/or leaking in the shower units. They have all found there is now support under that shower floor! If I'm not mistaken, some have taken that spray-in expanding foam and taken care of it. I think Bobby did that to his and when he did it he recommended putting something on the floor of the shower and then putting a cement block for weight on it so it didn't push the floor up and cause the drain to be higher than the floor. You can buy two different types of the expanding foam-- one will expand for filling void spaces and the other is for filling around doors and windows and expands but does not expand like the first. Rich may have an idea also by putting some rigid foam under it also. You will have to patch the crack first before spraying the foam or putting in the rigid foam in however and the Eternobond tape sounds to me to be a good solution, at least temporarily anyway, until you can have the floor part of the unit replaced.
P.S. Just thought of someting else. If you need to replace the shower unit or tub, you might want to check with some of the RV salvage places around Goshen and across the border into Michigan. After the Fall Rally we paid a visit to several and found they have nearly everything one might need at a whole lot better price than the dealers and manufacturers!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Well, so far so good. We used the shower today and there were no leaks and the crack did not reoccur. Again, I used the Elmer Tub Repair kit purchased at Lowe's. The epoxy sticks, sand paper from rough to fine, and a tool were included in the kit. Applied, let it dry for an hour, sanded and let set for the night. I applied eternabond tape to the under side of the crack allowing for a inch or so around the crack.

I will update further after use for a period of time and see if this repair holds.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I have the same problem with my regular shower pan. The crack is just next to the drain and not capable of being supported from underneath since that is where the hole for the piping is. To make matters worse the manufacturer is out of business so a replacement isn't available. I have put a small piece of roofing tape over the crack and so far it is holding.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Correct Ron. At some point Keystone started putting foam block support under the tub. My unit was built in late March 2010 and has the support foam.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I have the foam support under the tub as well. The crack was on the curved area from the bottom to the side. It appears to me when they molded the tub this is the thinnest of the material and as such the weakest to allow for cracking. The tub repair kit continues to hold up, still no leaks