Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
Dodge Ram Diesel Recall

Just did the recall work on my 2003/Ram3500/5.9/48RE. Seems the recall was because some folks did not put the truck all the way in park before letting it idle.
All went well at the dealer, then I brought it home. I wanted to back up with the door open as I used to do back in the day. NO MORE!
The horn sounds when the truck is not in park and the door is opened.

If you look out through an open door when backing - DO NOT do this recall!

houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I went through the same thing with my Dodge. The first day with the new Montana we were trying to get it unhooked, and the horn sounded and headlignhts flashing three different times. The dealer says that once the computer is reprogramed for this safety recall, it can not be removed.
If you have a 2003 Dodge, I agree with John, do not have this done.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I had it done to my 04 and Iwould not do it again
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Got a hand shaker in mine, don't have a park position.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I guess we all take it for granted, that all recall's if needed are GOOD. I to brought my 2005 in for the recall. It's MY FAULT, I normally ask what the recall is for and what the recall will make the truck DO when completed. If I would have taken the time to ASK THE QUESTION, and waited for an answer from the service department. I WOULD HAVE NEVER DONE THE DEED. shame on all or us for not ASKING THE QUESTION!!!! Alert all you Dodge owning friends.
Safe Travels John H.
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
I had it done to mine and have was wondering how to try it out. I back with my mirrors and never open doors when the vehicle is moving. Thanks for the info.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
You are in a catch-22 with this recall (or the dealer is -- not sure which is more correct). Regardless, the dealer is required to install it and if you have one of the later recalls done, you must have this one installed as well. No way around it, and worse yet, no way to remove it once installed. Standard 'feature' on 06 and newer. By the way, not only does your horn blow but your lights blink as well -- lets everyone in the parking area know who you are as well as where you are
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
So, If you have some..say transmission work done..like normal maintainence at the Dodge dealer..they will install that even if you tell them not to do it? I own the truck..If I do not authorize it they better not do it! I may have to bring my truck elsewhere for service work.
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:28 AM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
The big deciding factor seems to be if they have to modify / update any of the many computer programs. You say 'transmission work'; if it deals with the shift points or programming, the system checks what version of software you have and then updates from there - to include all interim patches and fixes. Nothing the dealer, tech, or other service person can do. Liability issues not with standing, to put in a later patch without the intermediate patches just causes more problems with the code -- some updates are such that they only change a single line or two of code but that code has to be there to begin with. Regardless, as a personal view -- this patch is not a good solution to the problem. They needed to fix the real problem, not put aureal (sound) and visual (headlights flashing) sticker on it!! Ohwell, wife wants this soap box so I'd better get off it!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I had the same recall and had it taken care of. Unfortunately, it was 9 months late. I was hooking up when I put trk in Park, got out to see how I was lined up, 10 feet from door trk backed up and high hitched. Fortunately, no damage to Monty or truck. $450 later hitch was fixed. Of course lesson learned, now the horn honks when door open and in reverse, but now I always engage parking brake anytime I get out of truck and it is running.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #11
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Yep I got my recall notice and quickly threw it in the trash.using the parking brake will solve any mishaps.Its never happened to me.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #12
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Regarding my transmission work..I was going to have it serviced..new fluid, adjust if needed, and check my brakes..and a new fuel filter. That's all I want done. If they are going to sneak that recall in on me, I will be bringing it someplace else!!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #13
The_McCullochs
Established Member

M.O.C. #6068
Quote:
quote:
If you look out through an open door when backing - DO NOT do this recall!
When this recall first came out, I asked the dealer if its installation was mandatory and was told "NO".

Since the last thing that I want to do is to wake up "the neighborhood" when unhitching [my hitch seems to want the truck in Neutral before it'll unlatch], I told the Service People to forget this one.

Apparently, D/C keeps track of who's installed it 'cause I've received a second recall notice.

Until I'm forced to have it installed, it won't be!
The_McCullochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:01 PM   #14
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I insisted I did not want the recall done. They said..it's your truck..you don't have to do anything you don't want to have done. I keep getting the recall notices, and just throw them away. The next owner can do it.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:51 AM   #15
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
I also had my truck (2004 1 ton) take off on me 3 times in park. I hate the horn going off but it does remind me to put the emergency brake on. It seems to me Dodge should fix the problem instead of just putting a patch in the software. I've had a lot of vehicles and never had this problem before.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #16
The_McCullochs
Established Member

M.O.C. #6068
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rwbrooks

I also had my truck (2004 1 ton) take off on me 3 times in park. I hate the horn going off but it does remind me to put the emergency brake on. It seems to me Dodge should fix the problem instead of just putting a patch in the software. I've had a lot of vehicles and never had this problem before.
Bob
You must not wiggle the shift lever to make sure that it's truly in Park.

Either that, or the finger plate is mis-adjusted. [The finger plate is the part which provides the notches for the gear selector.
The_McCullochs is offline   Reply With Quote