Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2006, 05:09 AM   #1
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Duramax problem

I am having a problem with my 2002 Duramax. The service engine soon light came on after running low of fuel. I was told by a dealership to not worry about it as it will go off after about 40 starts. I went to Oregon and back and the light is still on. I don't use the truck very often when we are not traveling, but the other day I went out to use it, started it, light still on, put it in reverse, nothing happened, R indicator light was flashing. Shut off the engine, restarted it, all is working fine except the light is still on. I have it at the dealership now and so far they can not figure out why the light is on, they say that they need to replace the torque converter spring which is the reason for it not going into reverse. Have any of you experienced anything like this with your Duramax?

DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Doug: Haven't experienced anything like you are describing with the light flashing, but I just received a letter from GM about the check engine light coming on. It had to do with injector problems with 2001-2003 Duramax engines. The letter said to take it to the dealer if light comes on. The letter went on to say that these models now have a 200,000 mile warranty or 7 yrs, whichever comes first, on the duramax engine. Not much help with your problem but thought I would let you know about letter. Pls. post what they find went wrong for info.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Did your letter say the 2007 models have the 200,000 warranty or that all engines, pre-2007 had their warranty increased?
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Doug,We had the same problem with our 2001 Duramax last winter. On ours the light wasn't on or flashing though. Put it in reverse and it didn't move. Put it in drive and it moved forward. Put it in reverse and it didn't move. After turning it off and back on it worked fine. When I did go to the dealer he told me that it sometimes happens when you don't use the truck very often as is the case for us in the winter. Since then we have been on a 2400 mile trip with our rig in the last month with no problems whatever.

What are they planning on charging you for the torque converter spring?

Good luck!
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Bill,
Do you have the TSB number on that letter? Something sounds weird about the reversing thing (or lack thereof)----Allison transmissions are very reliable. Almost sounds like a servo pump in the gear box has bled down and can't quite "suck up the oil" until its run for a period of time---hence the start it a few times then it works deal. If its the electrical shift point actuator, that could trigger the check engine light and possibly prevent it from going into reverse. Guess its time to pull out the Allison manual...! If that light is on, a code is stored in the brain-box---the Tech II scanner should be able to pull the code.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Doug,

You really need to post this question on a Duramax or Chevy Truck forum. Here are a few URLs:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php

Steve
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Thanks for the input. They told me the spring will be done under warranty. The weird thing is that they are charging me $540.00 to diagnose the service engine light problem (what a rip). I was also told that it may even be under warranty. I am still waiting to hear from them.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Doug, that sounds like what ours was doing when we were leaking transmission fluid. They fixed it and have had no more problems like that.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I too just recived a recall notice about the injectors that light might be on for that has your truck lost power? do you smell diesel in the oil? all signs of bad injectors hope this helps you out
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:21 PM   #10
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Tim, no I have not lost any power, the truck runs great. No the diesel smell is not in the oil either.

Sue, my transmission fluid is full and nice and pink so I dont think I have a leak.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:09 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Doug,
I'm so sorry to hear about your truck problems. Sure hope it is nothing serious. Maybe if you disconnect one of your many extra "toys" you've got hooked up it might "fix" things.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:49 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
DHenry,

Last year while we were visiting Mesa Verde National Park, I noticed that the service engine light came on the morning we entered the park (we had stayed at an RV park near the National Park the night before). We drove all that morning with the light still on. Just before noon we went to the Chevrolet dealer in Cortez, Colorado. After a brief diagnosis the service manager reported to me that although I had 100,000 mile warranty on drive train this problem fell under a post 36,000 mile warranty which had a $100 deductible. Since we were far from home, it made sense to have the repair. It cost me exactly $100 (the deductible amount). We have had no problems since.

None of this may be relevant to your situation, but I certainly remembered this experience when I read your post.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:51 AM   #13
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Sounds like the NSBU switch (Neutral Safety Back-up). They sometimes get moisture in them and cause problems.

Good Luck and keep us posted,

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:30 AM   #14
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Well the report from the dealer says the service engine soon light was on because the battery cable to the starter corroded and took out a safety switch and the battery is bad.

The transmission not shifting into reverse was a completely different problem. They tell me that it is a bad servo that allows the fluid to drain back into the pan so there is not enough fluid to allow the transmission to shift. They told me that there is a bulletin out that Allison recommends some upgrades to the transmission when this happens. The parts are being supplied at no cost but the labor I have to pay for. OUCH!!!!

I asked about the warranty on the drive train and was told that the engine was the only thing that has the 100,000 mile warranty with a $100.00 deductible.

Looks like I will get the truck back next week.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:45 AM   #15
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
DHenry, your report about your battery brought to mind our experience on our last trip with the Montana. Fortunately, it was a very short trip, just over to Tyler State Park, less than 50 miles. And, for other reasons, Shirley drove the car along. After a short trip in the pickup to get fuel, we spelled a strong smell, somewhat like sewage, then noticed fumes/smoke/steam (whatever) when I opened the hood.

Cut to the chase: bad battery, so we replaced both of them. Fortunately, we had the car so we could go and come into town (about 10 miles) so we put one battery on at a time. I never had a battery to go that bad before. We were lucky it happened under the circumstances that it did. Guess it was just time for replacement on a 2002 model.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #16
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
Our 02 Duramax/Allison will delay going into reverse if it sits a few weeks. Has done this for the last few years. I just wait a few seconds and it goes fine from there on. Maybe yours is more serious than ours.

There are a number of posts on The Diesel Place http://dieselplace.com/forum/ about this problem, and the NSBU switch defect.

Too bad that GM doesn't step up to admit these defects and make them right for its customers.

Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Doug, they charged you HOW MUCH to diagnose your problem??? Dieselplace.com will have a solution for you, I'm sure.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #18
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Doug glad to hear that your problem with that pesky light was a minor problem I'll be looking at my batt cables this weekend thanks for the heads up
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I was going to check my cables on my 2002 D/A, then procrastinated. I will now check tomorrow...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:50 AM   #20
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I have a engine lite on my 2006 GMC 3500 W/ duramax ,came on my recent trip to Hilton Head. My truck was checked out in Myrtle beach a few days later, the code was for a "TURBO VEIN POSITIONING SENSOR"
SO HOPE to get this fixed tomomrow 11/6/06 at home, my dealer got the part.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote