Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Washer/Dryer

What is the opinion about the all-in-one washer/dryers? Would we be better off with two distinct units?

osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
If you have tons of room by all means go with two units, but as with most of us space is at a premium. We put a combo unit in our Montana and did the same in our current SOB. We have been very happy with it, but I would recommend the Vented unit over the Non-vented. The one draw back of the combo unit, you can't do a second load of wash while the first is drying. While wintering in Florida it's not a problem for us as we dry most clothes on a line off the back of the rig.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We have the combo unit and have been very happy with it. It might take longer to do the laundry but we're not in a hurry.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X3. We have the combo and use an Amish drying rack we bought at the Rally last year or hang clothes in the shower on a rack built from specs from this forum when I need to do multiple loads at a time (not often). The clothes do wrinkle less if you hang them to dry, but that would be true of the dual units also I would imagine.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have a combo unit also and the DW loves it. The separate units have larger capacity, but we did not have room for them.
One advantage of the combo is they both wash and dry. The DW will put in a load and we go off and do whatever we want. Come back later to a clean, dry load of laundry. Only disadvantage I see is the lower capacity which has not been a problem for us. Full timers may think differently. I think the newer combo units have a larger capacity than our 5 yr old unit.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Depends as with everything, on personal choice and life style.

Long timers here, combo unit here, happy here.

As has been said, no hurry. I frequently do a load of laundry in the evening while I an cruising the net and Al is watching the telie. Just one of several attack methods I have!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
We like our combo with the vent. On our last 2 week trip, we put a load in while all of us were getting ready in the morning and another load n while we were all getting ready for bed every day. Even with all 3 boys with us we were able to almost keep up with the laundry. Its sure a lot better than no washer/dryer at all.
tracyclifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We just installed the combo about 2 weeks ago. Love it. Expensive but worth the convience. We do not mind that it washes and drys and takes longer. We start before we leave and it's done when we get back. 1st vac. with it was great with company. No build up of towels and laundramat duty.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sue loves the two units, I was really happy in that I could get rid of the TV, she just watches the clothes go around....

OK, she likes the wash and dry at the same time with the two units. Carol had a well worded answer in her post.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
We just purchased a combo vent less unit and really like it. We have only used it a half dozen times but it cleans and drys well. I have heard some folks complain that it takes a long time to wash and dry. It will take longer then usual but not longer then if you put in a load of wash, and then dried it, in separate machines. We just put the clothes in and let it do its thing.

Rich
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
We had the room and went with separate units by Whirpool. We tend to do alot of laundry and having the ability to wash a load while other is drying make sense for our needs, especially since they have smaller capacity. Note our dryer is very fast. Amazed how well they both work . Don't use the laundry mat anymore, except for very large items.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have the stackables (two units) and love them. Have never had the combo, so can't comment.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we have the Combo. We are in no hurry. IMO the stackables are more efficient and will do larger loads faster.Space is always a consideration.

Throw in the soap, the wash, push a button twist a dial and who cares how long it takes.The W/D is a huge convenience to those who are on the road a lot.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
For a different opinion on this subject: We fulltimed four years and never had a W/D other than a CG or laundramat in a small town. We liked being able to do more than one load at a time and in an hour and a half we had the weeks laundry done. I realize this is not everyones desires, but as fulltimers we had a lot of extra time on our hands. I think one must weigh the costs of buying these expensive units verses how much they will ACTUALLY get used. Another thing is that we always stayed a week or two at each destination and sometimes,(winters mostly), 3-4 months at a time. Sorry I can't speak about the differences between the two, just wanted to give another perspective....Don't shoot the messenger, as they say. Just our druthers.... Now that we're back in a stick home, we can do laundry whenever the hamper gets full. NICE
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I never seen the need of having a washer and dryer either too expensive, heavy, takes up valueable space, everywhere we go they have nice laundry facilities, but what the heck whatever works for ya
Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #16
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Thanks to all for the comments
osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That you may not need one is to be considered. We did the first year of long timing without one as a experiment. We found it to be expensive to do the laundry at a campground and you are sort of tied to the location. Many folks will complain about dirty laundry rooms and we have seen a few but that is the execption and not the rule. We still need to use the C.G laundry for large or bulky items.
Bottom line is it is more of a convience that a absolute need.

You might want to not get one and see how that works. We did get the combo and that works for us.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I went for ohhhh, about 5 years without the combo.

Then, I was diagnosed with diabetes and everything seemed to change for me. Energy level went down, and stress really got to me, any kind of stress. I found that sitting in the laundry room at the campground and taking over 8 hours to do one week's laundry was too much stress for me. Now, that may sound silly to others, and yes, 8 hours. But, as we learn when we mature (don't snicker too loud, I HEAR YOU!!!), what we find tolerable or not, changes. What stresses us changes. Our reactions to stresses changes.

So, because of other changes in our lives, we, err, I, made room in Tana for the combo and even tho we both feel it makes NO financial sense, in went the combo.

Financially, nope, not a lot of sense.

Emotionally, stress, all that stuff, WIN WIN WIN.

I like the idea of trying it first without the combo, see how doing laundry on the road, in campgrounds, works out for you. Many really love the social aspect, sitting and chatting with fellow campers.

Me, what works for ME, the combo.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #19
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2 with Carol. Of course since it's me that does the laundry, social hour at the campground laundry is somewhat stilted. In addition, most folks take the stuff to the laundry they don't want to do in their own washer sometimes leaving grease, oil and other films in the tub that then transfer to the next persons good clothes (probably doesn't happen as often in campground laundry's as in city laundry's but still peoples normal reaction is to not do the bad stuff in their own machine). Since I have the combo the whites are in right now while I'm typing this. Works for me!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #20
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
I put in the cell phone category when they first came out. Now you have one you can't live without it!!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote