Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2012, 04:42 AM   #21
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I should have said:

I did have to order the "lower module" of the TrailAir (which cost about $250, if I remember correctly) in order to fit the new trailer.

And I had 3 or 4 friends to help with the changeover.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #22
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We only air up about every 3 month. We have had the Trail-Air 18 month and have towed over 15,000 miles with it. When we do need air we use a 12 volt compressor, it reaches from the 12 volt plug insde the truck when we are hooked up.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #23
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
That's good thinking and back saving!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I think you will be happy with it. I installed a 5th airborne (same principle except hinged in front instead of rear). In the rear view mirror I can see the 5er moving up and down somewhat independent of the truck, so it is definitely taking some of the shock out of it.
And the truck rides smoother also. I had very little chucking to begin with. Just a little on some concrete highways. The new pin box eliminated virtually all of that.
Anyone thinking of adding one, it is really not a bad one man project if you want to save the installation cost and do not have help. I just lowered the tailgate and backed the truck under the pin box. Then lowered the trailer until the pin box was just above the tail gate. Removed the bolts and let the pin box drop the inch or so onto the bed/tailgate. Raised the trailer and pulled the truck out from under. Moved the old pin box out of the way and the new pin box to the tailgate. Backed the truck back under the trailer and lowered the trailer until the pin box frame moved down over the new pin box. Put the bolts back in and done. No heavy lifting required.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote