Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Stackables in 3850FL or other model with shelf?

There are a couple of us here on the MOC who have 3850FL's on order and are concerned with the composition and ultimate strength of the shelf in the washer/dryer closet that comes in the kitchen slide. Both of our previous models (3400 and 3750FL) allowed the stackable units to be physically stacked with the stacking kit. This new model mimics a motorhome type installation with the washer on the bottom of the closet and the dryer sitting over it on a separate shelf. The top and bottom have separate double doors and the shelf is actually part of e external cabinet construction. I have some ideas on providing additional support for this shelf by transferring some of the load to the floor of the slide, but am wondering if current owners of this model have the dryer on the shelf and specifically wondering if the shelf is presenting any problems?? There will be specific questions asked at the Goshen rally of Keystone-Montana as to the construction methods used and the weight capacity of this shelf. It makes me worry a little knowing that a 70 pound dryer will be riding on a shelf while our rig is bouncing down the highway. This picture can clarify what we are looking at:

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
The other concern is that it is located in a slide on a shelf. I would reinforce the corners if you can. Plus the washer, since it is front loading, may support a brace on top of it to support the dryer. Good luck.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I agree totally Joe, as a matter of fact, the feedback that I have already sent Keystone and the dealer is that unless they can verify the construction method, namely how this shelf is attached at the rear, that I would prefer four vertical supports (1 x 2's - same as cabinet wood or similar) installed at the four inside corners that are accurately cut to the dimension from the shelf to the floor. This would transfer the dryer weight from the walls to the floor which would be acceptable to me. If the factory can verify that the rear of the shelf is secured in to the aluminum studs of the outer slide wall, I will be comfortable with the shelf. There will be five inches of space atop the washer and the dryer when installed and I have thought about some kind of filler that I can add later to provide direct support to the dryer shelf. I have a hunch that the shelf is supposed to be secured into aluminum studs, but what if the "craftsman" of that day, somehow missed the stud?
Bingo
Old 09-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
What about the possibility of removing the shelf and just stack the Washer & Dryer as was previously done??
Old 09-16-2013, 04:43 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

What about the possibility of removing the shelf and just stack the Washer & Dryer as was previously done??
The other forum member is considering that! I believe the doors as well as the cabinet facing would have to be changed, unless the dryer door would still clear the middle cross piece in the outer frame. It is an idea though, but, I don't think DW thinks that is an option because of the aesthetics (already asked and the response was a blunt "NO!").

Bingo
Old 09-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
There ya have it: "NO!" Now get to work and make it happen. Your plan sounds good. My DW has indicated that she wants a 220v dryer, because she wants the washer and dryer cycles to be as close as possible to minimize the time spent doing the laundry. I do not blame her. Why have separates if your washer is going to do two loads compared to one drying load as John Kohl has reported in a separate thread. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Check with Ozz regarding the 220 dryer, that is what he has. There is some special wiring mods that have to be done also. Depending on where you are, I am sure it will dictate some power management schemes. Can AC's be run at the same time? I don't know, but I assure you Ozz does.
Bingo
Old 09-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Hook (Larry), did some investigating and said the shelf appears to be "very, very solid" (quoted) and appears to be about 1/2" thick. Guess we will have to keep an eye on it, but at least I know I can add the vertical supports if needed in the future. Since there will be 5" of room atop the washer after installation and 2 1/2" on each side, that gives me just enough room to reach to the rear with my arms! Thanks Hook, for once again going above and beyond the call of duty!!
Bingo
Old 09-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Waiting for Ozz to respond on the other link. If not, I will PM him. Sounds like Larry answered your questions. What is next? Got my Slimline installed last week.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Joe,
See the new thread regarding the undersink storage!! Hee Hee! The fun is only beginning!!
Bingi
Old 09-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764

Yea, saw that. Like the dishwasher/stovetop idea, too.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
I am the other member Bingo is referring to. I agree the shelf itself is thick enough. My concern is will the shelf support hold up under stress from some of the roads we travel on. The cabinet wall next to the stove is thin. I have experienced a problem with a similar wall that item attached to it did not hold. I do not have confidence that the shelf will hold with a dryer on it.
I will look closer into this when I get to the rally. We like the current configuration also but nothing is off the table.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote