Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2004, 05:48 AM   #1
Montana_1887
Established Member

M.O.C. #1887
How do you decide?

Hello!
I work as a "traveling" xray tech. My company sends me all over the US to hospitals with tech shortages. My assignments last for 3 months at a time, and I usually end up staying for 6 or 9 months. They pay for a furnished apartment, or I can opt for a housing allowance. I am seriously considering some fulltime RV options. I am currently in the DC area, and I have been considering the 3400rl. I am also considering some Class A RVs, but I prefer the floorplans of the Montys. My biggest reservation is having a truck for my main vehicle. I don't mind driving something big, I just wish they were more comfortable. I am going to the Midwest RV show in South Bend, IN in August, so I hope to get a better idea then. I would appreciate any comments at all....especially relating to fulltiming. Is it going to be difficult for me to find long term RV sites? I usually find out where I am going 1-2 weeks before I leave.

Thanks for your help and advice!
Di

Montana_1887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I bought my wife a Lexus but she always takes the truck. She likes to sit high up. I do not find my truck to be unconfortable. Go down to a dealer and ask to take a few for a test drive. Recommend diesel for power and economy. Go with a 1 Ton if you want a large unit. You can save bigtime by getting a good used one. You can keep the length of the truck down by getting a short bed with a slider hitch and ext or regular cab. My truck fits in the garage.

Most of the campsites I have been to offer monthly rates which is a considerable savings.

Oh I just saw you were from texas. That is good place to pick up a used diesel. They are plentiful there.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:19 AM   #3
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
I drive my Dodge Dually every day and have been on a couple of Interstate trips. No problem. Set my cruise and go. Ride not as smooth as a car, but not all that bad. I like being up where I can see. Go for the 1 ton. I got a good deal on a 1999 Dodge 1 ton dually with only 45K miles in Virginia. You can save big bucks!
Montana_1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I second the above. Big truck. I drive my dulley everywhere. Of course the ride is not as smooth as my Lincoln Towncar, but then I can't tow a Monty with it. All and all sounds like a fine use of a Montana plus having an allowance to live in it. I say go for it. Happy rving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:35 AM   #5
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by justdiana

Hello!
I work as a "traveling" xray tech. My company sends me all over the US to hospitals with tech shortages. My assignments last for 3 months at a time, and I usually end up staying for 6 or 9 months. They pay for a furnished apartment, or I can opt for a housing allowance. I am seriously considering some fulltime RV options. I am currently in the DC area, and I have been considering the 3400rl. I am also considering some Class A RVs, but I prefer the floorplans of the Montys. My biggest reservation is having a truck for my main vehicle. I don't mind driving something big, I just wish they were more comfortable. I am going to the Midwest RV show in South Bend, IN in August, so I hope to get a better idea then. I would appreciate any comments at all....especially relating to fulltiming. Is it going to be difficult for me to find long term RV sites? I usually find out where I am going 1-2 weeks before I leave.

Di
Hi...and WELCOME. We have a 3400 and are very happy with it. Nice thing about the Montanas....there seems to be a floor plan for just about everyone.

My suggestions regarding a tow vehicle. Try before you buy...then try again. Take your time and sit a spell. Some are way more comfortable than others. If you're looking at Fords (just an example)....sit in the different styles available (XL, XLT, Lariat, Harley). They all feel different. Some have power seats, heated seats, auto adjusting -- etc. Bucket or split? And there's ways of taking that truck-bounce out (where you feel like you need to wear a kidney belt). Some of the trucks feel like you're riding in a Mercedes (well, that may be a little far-fetched).

Anyhow, just take your time. And have fun doing it.

As for finding long-term spots. Look to the private parks. Doubt that you'll have any trouble --- plus monthly is a lot less $$.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:23 AM   #6
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Our only car is the Ford F250 diesel crew cab we use to pull our Montana. We sold our other car because we rarely used it. I work full time out of our home and hubby has a tool truck, so most of driving is on weekends and weekends are for camping

I prefer the truck to a regular car now that I am used to it. We have one of those computer adjustment programs that gives us better mileage. Our average of all driving is 15-16 mpg. This program also gives us the extra pep we need to get over the mountain passes here. All of our driving is mountain driving.

Our part of the country is loaded with both state, county, and private campgrounds, and some of the private ones are pretty nice and have reasonable monthly charges. This is a great forum and each time you have to relocate post it on the board and I bet you will get advice in each area of where to stay.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:53 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As fulltimers, our only vehicle is our one-ton truck, like others who replied. We traded for this truck just short of 14 months ago and yesterday turned 46,000 miles on the truck. We do a lot of sightseeing and all the other things you need a vehicle for and don't find the truck uncomfortable or difficult to drive. Ours is a single rear wheel model with supercab (extended cab to the GM folks) and shortbed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:48 AM   #8
Montana_1887
Established Member

M.O.C. #1887
Thank you for all of the advice. I have definitely decided on a 5th wheel. It doesn't make sense for me to have a class A if I am only going to drive it twice a year. Besides, the 5th wheels seem more like a home to me. In a class A, you are always aware of the fact that you are in a bus.... I am also planning on going with the 3/4 ton diesel since I will not be moving often. I can't see buying a 1 ton if I am only using it to tow 5 to 10 days a year..

Thank you again...All of the advice from this forum is really helping me a lot!!!

Di
Montana_1887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:54 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Justdiana, you will probably be fine with a 3/4 ton truck although if you get one of the bigger Montanas you may need to add airbags or some additional springs. Many folks never need to do that, though. In any case, I've found no ride difference at all between the 3/4 and 1-ton trucks (in my brand, anyhow - haven't checked the others). And usually the price difference is only a couple hundred dollars. The 1-ton would give you more margin should you decide to go bigger someday. I probably should also add that in some brands you would be forced to go with a dually if you go 1-ton. My 1-ton is single-rear-wheel, not dually. Hope this makes some kind of sense.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:42 PM   #10
Montana_1970
Established Member

M.O.C. #1970
We like driving our truck even more than the conversion van it replaced and the small SUV we also currently drive. Like the others have said, test drive a bunch and get the best deal you can. Oh yeah, have fun, too.
Montana_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:37 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Love our Chev 2500HD with the Duramax diesel. We bought the truck used last September. It was less than a year old with just 8000 miles on it. We are fulltimers and so it is our only vehicle and it now has over 44,000 miles on it. The ride is not as smooth as a car but it is not at all uncomfortable. A one ton is OK but not necessary as the 2500HD is all the truck you will need to pull most Montana's. The 2500HD also gives a slightly better ride when not towing the Monty than the 3500 1 ton. If I was going to do it all over again I would still buy the 2500HD.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:16 AM   #12
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
I also recommend at 1 ton truck. Your choice of makers. They are all good. The short bed with a slider hitch is a good selection. I would recommend the extendacab or crew cab for the extra space in the cab. For your needs, buy the single axle. We tow with a ford F350, single axle and pull a simular size trailer. The new ford diesels are quite, get good milage, and ride like a car. Also look for program cars and trucks. Several large dealers lease them out for a year and then resell them 12-15000 below what they sold for new. You getr the new warranty, and a new truck.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren VA
2003 3655FL Montana/Ford F350 Diesel

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by justdiana

Hello!

Di
ken is offline   Reply With Quote