Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
cmcree

M.O.C. #8497
Natural Gas Or Propane Use In Montanas

Is it possible to use natural gas as a substitute for propane if it is available in a trailer park? I am not sure how a safe and legal connection can be made to the inlet piping somewhere if so. Are the appliances all designed for propane alone? Thanks for responses.

cmcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Chris, I think that it would be a logistics problem as I believe (among other things) that you need a much higher volume of NG to get the same BTUs as propane - indicating much larger tanks. That is just my first thought and I could be wrong. Others will be by to correct or add.

Secondly, fridges and furnaces designed for RV are all specifically made for propane or propane/elect only. Have not heard of any NG appliances in any RV.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
You might be able to, but it all depends on how the manufacturer designed each one of the appliances in your unit. Some might require a conversion kit or might not be convertible at all. The only way to tell is to check your installation manuals or, better yet, actually confirm with each manufacturer what is required (if it can be done). I suspect it's probably a long shot to make the switch.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:10 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I believe you have to change the jets (devices that deliver the gas). I would not want to do that every time I moved or changed parks. Therefore, I think it would only be effective if you perminately parked your Monty.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:20 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If it is doable, John is right about the jets.You would have to convert each appliance that is propane dependent, i.e., the refrigerator, furnace, water heater, and oven. I agree, it should not be done unless there is a long term or permanent stay. Since LPG is heavier than air, you have the propane detector. I don't think the NG is as heavy and there may be some complications with safety. The mercaptans (the skunk odor in Natural Gas) generally provide leak detection if you can smell. There also may be city codes to deal with when hooking into NG services. Since I have no experience with a conversion, treat this as speculation on my part. Others from the HVAC industry may be of better help since they do conversions.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
It can be done, I have converted stoves, barbequs, and HV/AC units from Propane to Natural gas. Jets need to be enlarge due to the fact that the NG molaculs are larger than those of the Propane. I would only do it if you in for a very long term stay. Not easy, or cost effective to do very often. You would also need to check local codes.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
If you hook up to natural gas without changing jets YOU CAN HAVE A MELTDOWN at the least. The instructions that come with your propane gas grille explains it very clearly. Yes I have seen what can happen to appliances that weren't changed correctly
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote