Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2008, 08:09 AM   #61
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I use teflon tape to prevent leakage. I expect the anode rod is still touching metal at some point even if teflon tape is used. I remove my anode rod more often than probably needed and it always has crud on it.

Have a good day!

Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #62
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I sent a message to Suburban Co. The following is their reply and my original message:

Dear Sir:

Than you for your inquiry concerning Suburban products.

The electrical connection that takes place inside of the water heater is more consistent with the electrical reaction that takes place inside of a battery.

The anode is negative and the tank is the cathode or the positive. The water, more accurately the minerals in the water are the conductor.

You need the Teflon tape to seal the threads to prevent a leak, and to use as a barrier to prevent the threads from the tank and the rod cap from rusting themselves together and to lubricate the threads as the anode is being driven tighter into the tank to prevent thread damage. The anode cap and the tank spud threads will cut through the Teflon tape and we will get a metal on metal contact through the threads which gives us a ground for the anode. Excessive Teflon Tape or excessive pipe dope could decrease the ground connection, however; the threads should still cut through the sealant'(s) to provide us with an acceptable ground.

Please reply back to this message if I can be of any further assistance in this matter.

Thank you,

Lou Richard

Assistant Service Manager

Suburban Manufacturing Company

The information contained in this message and any attachments may be privileged and confidential. If you have received this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or any use of the contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please reply to the sender immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments or copies. Thank you for your cooperation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:40 PM
To: Art Klee
Subject: Anode Rod Question

We live in a Montana 5th wheel RV which has a Suburban 10-gallon water heater in it. I understand the purpose of the anode rod is to protect the inner tank of the water heater and I also understand how it deteriorates over time and needs to be replaced.

I've been told that the anode rod must have an electrical connection to the tank in order for it to work properly. This means that it gets its connection through the threads when the anode rod is screwed into the tank. Is this correct? If so, then why am I also told to use teflon tape on the threads in order to allow easier removal of the rod when it needs to be replaced? Doesn't the teflon tape insulate the threads from the tank?

I've always felt that the rod merely provided a chemical reaction for the things in the water that would tend to eat through the wall of the water heater. I didn't think there needed to be any connection for a complete circuit. Would you please provide me with the proper information by return e-mail or a phone call so I can put my mind to rest?

Thank you,

Orville Schinke

So, in essence, we are all correct in how we think the anode works. Even the manufacturer specifies the use of teflon tape.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #63
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Orv,

This is probably the best explanation I've ever seen. It echoes what the link says but in a much clearer and concise manner. Hopefully this will ease the minds of everyone who is concerned about this issue.

Thanks. I can now put on the Teflon tape without worrying.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #64
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Orv -

Thanks for following up on this. One more of life's mysteries solved - millions to go.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #65
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks, Orv.

You might want to edit out your email address in your post - robots often screen scrape to obtain email addresses for spam. JMO.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #66
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

Thanks, Orv.

You might want to edit out your email address in your post - robots often screen scrape to obtain email addresses for spam. JMO.
Thanks so much for the heads up. I hadn't even thought of that. I was just so anxious to get the info posted. Again, thanks.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #67
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bross - thanks for hanging in there till the right answer came out.

We all get a little stubborn in the face of life changing realization, or at least things that change the way we always looked at things.

I did know about the conduction requirement because of years owning a boat, but I honestly never thought about the teflon tape being an insulator. I probably am very guilty about over using the tape which may explain why I've never had to replace the rod.

I learned from this post. Thanks for the updated info Orv and the enthusiasm Bross.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote