Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Life on Wheels Training

Not sure if this is the correct place for this, but here goes: Has anyone attended the "Life on Wheels" seminars for newbies, and, if so, can you elaborate on the training received, pros/cons, services available, quality of courses, professionalism, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks

PS: These are the ones available at www.lifeonwheels.com

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
We attended Life on Wheels in Moscow Idaho in 2002 as complete RV Rookies; that was 3 years before we bought our first travel trailer. They said that 30% of the attendees don't own an RV.

There is an incredible amount of information at Life On Wheels. You can't take it all in at one time. We split up and went to different classes so that we could get more information. We still couldn't cover it all. I can't imagine that there is any question you could have about RVing or Fulltiming that you can't get answered there.

Some of the teachers are professional RV instructors that do the LOW circuit each year; year after year. This group tends to be very polished; they have their timing down and everything flows smoothly. Many of these people have a lot of RV experience and have written there own books.

There seemed to be 3 "tracks" to the classes. Beginner classes like: How to pick an RV or How to pack an RV, RV Safety classes, etc. A second track is technical. Every thing you could hope to know about every appliance and system in your RV. The third track is lifestyle classes. Places to go, hobbies for the road, how to cook or write for the road etc.

LOW is intended to be an educational experience so there was only one tent selling anything and instructors couldn't sell things in the classes.

We learned so much at LOW and I am sure it saved us from making many rookie mistakes. I look forward to going back again someday with my Montana as Rookie Fulltimers.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I have heard nothing but wonderful things about Life On Wheels. As BirdingRVer said that you can't take it all in, even if you split the classes with your spouse.

My problem is the $350 each tuition.(if I remember correctly) But really that is not to expensive for what you get. Maybe some day we'll attend. Moscow, ID is not far from Spokane, so we won't need to travel very far.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
I agree with BirdingRVer. We attended the LOW in Moscow, Idaho last July and learned so much about just about everything you could think of. My husband did the technical, mechanical classes. I did the other classes on insurance, what states to use for residence if you're fulltime, and classes on general information. We were in class from 8:00 to 4:00 Monday thru Thursday and were sorry we couldn't cram any more classes in. There were so really good instructors and very professional.
I can't imagine anyone attending these classes not getting more than their money's worth.
The Moscow seminar is the largest and has more variety so would recommend it over the shorter seminars in the other areas.
We are just now in the process of buying our first 5th wheel and these classes answered lots of questions we had.

Judy
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
I forgot to mention you will receive lots of handouts from some of the instructors with good info on them.
They are not allowed to "sell their products"....that being said, Mike and Terri Church have written numerous travel books on Rving and their books can be ordered.
Dave and Sandi Baleria teach a class on tasers and are authorized to sell them once you've been certified.
These are about the only people I can think of that offer a product.
Gaylord Maxwell wanted to ensure that these seminars did not turn into a venue for selling and he's done a great job.
I believe there were about 500 people attending classes.
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
We attended the LOW in Des Moines, IA last year, before we bought our Mountaineer. We learned a ton, and it taught us what to look for when picking out a rig. This year we are already registered for Des Moines in August and will be participating in the Newbies program and the driving course. We've heard from many others that the Newbies session is great and really increases your comfort level with your RV. I'll definately post my thoughts on the newbies session on this site when we are done, but that won't be until August - hopefully you'll have attended your own session by then!
traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #7
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
My wife and I attended in Bethlehem, PA in 2006. We split up for most classes and also took some together.
We felt it was VERY worthwhile and was worth the cost.
We won't be buying until 2011 but, since there are so many subjects still to take at L.O.W. we will just finish it in 2009 or so.
You won't be disappointed.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Don and Annie,

The Life on Wheels web site says $249 per person.

http://www.rvlifeonwheels.com/pages/...id/id_info.htm

We flew into and out of Spokane and stayed at the Best Western across from the University when we attend Life on Wheels. Many non-retired RV owners can't take the time to travel to and from Moscow Idaho with there RVs. I would guess that most of the people who where at the Best Western that week were also attendees of Life On Wheels.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:03 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks everyone for you input. Looks like a "Best Buy" as Consumer Reports says. Am planning on attending the Idaho conference and travel to others this year and next. Thanks again...

Phil P
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:BirdingRVer Posted - Jan 24 2007 : 1:47:03 PM
Don and Annie,

The Life on Wheels web site says $249 per person.

http://www.rvlifeonwheels.com/pages/...id/id_info.htm...
Thanks Grant, I stand corrected.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:59 AM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
That $249 is for the course only - camping is extra.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote