Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Lapse in judgement

In February we thought we would give motor homing one more shot. So we traded the 3685FL Big Sky for a motor home. Big mistake. I can't do motor homes.
After a 3 week vacation in Virginia, we decided to make another decision. Another Montana. Went through everyone the dealer had. Narrowed them down and finally chose the 3670FL. Thought we had a truck all lined up, but the dealer in PA wouldn't release it for shipment to NY. Now we owned a Montana, but no truck. 5 dealers searched for a truck for us. Finally one found the 2005 GMC Sierra.
It is one heck of a truck. Chuck never wanted diesel, never wanted dually and didn't want white. Well that's exactly what they found and he "loves" it.
We spent today in the dealers parking lot switching our stuff from the motor home to the Montana. Took all day, but it got done.
We can't get over the floor space. Fantastic. Much more than a motor home. We are almost giddy.
Monday we leave for Ohio. We have had such good luck this week I'm kinda nervous about the trip.
I have been lurking here for 6 months. Now I'm official. We have also decided to go to the rally in Goshen. We will be one of the many "white" trucks this year and not the maroon truck like last year.

Carol

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
"THEY'RE BACK"

All kidding aside, welcome back. Great to see you as Happy Campers.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
WELCOME BACK
I have thought about a motor home. When we owned the house I needed the utility vehicle as well as the TV and the truck served both. When we go full time it comes down to preference.
If you don't mind would you share what brought you back to the 5th wheel. I am sure we know why Montana.
Good luck and safe towing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:56 AM   #4
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
What brought us back to the fifth wheel were several things. I don't lke all that windshield while riding down the road. Scares the heck out of me. When all the slides were open we were still falling all over the dogs. Then we got to the expense. On the way back from Virginia we go 6 miles per gallon. So we sat down and decided a fifth wheel and diesel truck "had" to be better in todays economy.
The motor homes today are beautiful. Ours had the bath and 1/2. But there is less inside storage. Out side in the bays you have lots of storage. So that was a trade off.
We needed more living area. So we went back to the fifth wheel. Hopefully it will turn out to be a cheaper way of traveling. We are very seriously thinking about going full time next September. Hope that helps you.

Carol
Old 08-21-2005, 02:15 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Carol and Chuck: Read the info on the Allison Trans. You should break it in according to the manual.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:23 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
A Montana and a GMC, it jut doesn't get any better.

Good to have you back in the family.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We gave the owner of a very nice motorhome a tour of our Montana. He's planning on making the switch because of the expenses and lack of space. One new tire cost him $400.00. In his words, he never had any repair work that didn't cost at least $5000. That's too steep for us!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:02 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I know some other folks that spent 40 years in the wilderness before coming to their senses. Glad you could make a quicker transition. Happy Montanaing.....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:24 PM   #9
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Bill, we just drove from Chittenango (outside of Syracuse to Watertown and back. Then we went to the Turning Stone for gas trying to get those miles on before morning. I wish Chuck had read the manual yesterday. We still don't have the 500. He will be up early before we leave for Ohio driving around.

Judy, motor homes don't come with spare tires. At least our Damon didn't. Cost us nearly $1000 to have one mounted. Quite an expense.
Love this 3670. Just love it. The truck ain't bad either.

Carol and Chuck
Old 08-22-2005, 04:05 AM   #10
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Welcome back! Enjoy the new rig--must admit that the mental picture of you two driving around at all hours of the night to get your miles on is a good one. Happy travels.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:19 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good to have you back, Carol and Chuck! I remember you folks from the September rally and hope to see you again one of these days.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:35 AM   #12
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Found out 81 north is in much greater shape than 81 south. At least to Watertown.
Chuck got up this morning and took the remaining "drive." One thing he hated last night was being passed. I was able to look around until it got dark. Then we went to get gas and was stopped by a State Trooper. No ticket. He was probably wondering why the truck was going so slow. Of course the german shepard had to bark at him.
The computer read we were getting 16.2 miles per gallon. Not towing. Can't wait to see what it gets towing. Got to be better than the motor home. We got 6 mpg with that coming home from Virgina.
We are going to the rally in Goshen. I want Chuck to see the improvements Bill (of Bill and Ann) have made in their 3670. Can't let him just sit now can I?
One thing I didn't expect. Going to buy new bedding. This has a king bed. Now all I have to do is make it while he is mowing and then we are off to Ohio. Hope no problems. This deal went really smooth considering the dealer. They all but kissed our butt.

Carol (Chuck doesn't do computers, just tells me what to say)
Old 08-23-2005, 05:24 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Glad to hear all has worked out Chuck and Carol. I too didn't think I would ever want a dually nor a white truck. Kind of leaning to a dually next time but not sure on white. Truly amazing how many new white trucks are showing up. Must be one of the most popular colors now!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:36 PM   #14
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
This truck pulls like a dream. The gas mileage has been running 14.6 towing. We are still in the towing breaking in period, so we can't go over 50-55.
Where was this 3670 when we bought our first Montana? No problems so far.

Carol
Old 08-24-2005, 12:58 AM   #15
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Chuck and Carol,
Your making me home sick. I was born in Watertown and my folks have a summer home in Henderson Harbor. Enjoy the new rigs and please keep the reports come. As others have said we enjoy the experience through your reports when we are away from our units.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:11 AM   #16
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
One thing about having a white truck is if you want to put decals like your montana they show up real well. Not on my black one
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:30 AM   #17
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Ron, If you put decals on your black truck, you could call it the stealth tow..
it would definately be subtle!!!
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote