Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2005, 06:05 PM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Early Retirement I Hope Stiles is Right

On Friday May 27th we made the decision that I needed to retire due to health problems. It was at least a year earlier than we had planned (Ed is already retired). I was a little bit overwhelmed and slightly depressed by it all. But what better way to beat that depression than spend the weekend with all the wonderful MOC members that attended the western region rally at Mt. Shasta! We had such a great time and appreciate all the hard work that went into the planning. We are looking forward to next year. We have been really busy breaking camp in Morgan Hill and getting everything down south. We are not sure yet what we are going to do when we grow up but for now it is a lot of garage sales, selling at least one of three vehicles and then start looking for a new truck. I have been a workaholic for at least 30 years so this is going to be a be change for me.

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Congratulations on your retirement and hope that this helps your health problems. It sounds like you will still have some stress, but hopefully can be on your own schedule.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Congratulations, Sue! I hope you find retirement to be just the right thing in your life and that your health improves as a result.

Sharon
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Sue welcome to the ranks of less stressed folks. If there is any stress now it's only self induced. Being retired is heap big medecine.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:38 PM   #5
PERetired
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3897
Congratulations on your retirement Sue! I certainly agree that the rally was a great way for you to kick the depression. It was so much fun. Can't wait till next year. I have been surprised with myself. Retiring 2 years ago, wasn't sure what I would do with the time. Never fear... I'm busier now than I ever was. Now that you are both retired you can do more RVing. We leave home every opportunity we get.
PERetired
Mary Kay and Dennis Hill
Bakersfield, CA
PERetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:34 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sue, to coin a familiar phrase, "retirement ain't all it's cracked up to be"...unless you have a Montana! I retired a year or so before I talked Glen into retiring. And it was depressing when I was sitting at home by myself. It was no accident that the day after Glen retired, we left for a two week trip to Savannah. And we've been busy ever since. What a difference activity has made in our adjustment. Depression can be a reality of retirement. I think the best thing you can do is get that Monty packed and on the road. It sure helped us.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:30 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm sorry to hear about the health problems, Sue, but am glad you are able to retire and look forward to traveling in your Montana. I remember the stress of selling off and storing everything but from my perspective the end result is well worth the effort. The toughest part of retirement, for me, after the trauma of such a dramatic lifestyle change, was to learn to slow down. That doesn't necessarily mean I don't work quickly when I start on something, it just means I don't have to get everything done today. I don't have to go back to work tomorrow or when the weekend is over. I can go out when everyone else is at work rather than during rush hour. We don't have to cover 500 miles in a day. We can take two or three days to get "there." Etc. Etc. It sounds like you are on the way and we understand the second guessing and concerns you will go through just getting to the point where you start to travel. But your goal is a worthy one, so hang in there! Good luck and please keep us posted. And, if for some reason you decide the traveling lifestyle is not for you, you have the option of parking the Montana in one place or getting another stick home.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:14 AM   #8
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Sue ... I must agree with the other ladies who have posted here that depression caused by the sudden lack of "something to do" can be somewhat overwhelming at first. As you noted, after we spend our entire adult lives having to adhere to a schedule in order to get everything done, both at home and at work, it truly is a shock to our systems to suddenly not have to do anything or be anywhere.

We all have to find our own way to deal with all the extra time on our hands, but I found that when we started traveling and hiking it made a tremendous difference. Also, the Postcards that I write have really been a huge help for me.

I hope your health issues are resolved soon and you can get on with the business of having fun in your life and in your Montana!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #9
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Sue: Congratulations on taking the "BIG STEP". Just remember, an adventure has to start with that first step and you are well on your way to many exciting adventures!!

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Congratulations on your retirement. Once you get adjusted to the drastic changes, it is great. Having the Montana to travel comfortably means many great adventures ahead.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:08 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sue,

Now you can focus on the issues of health and find solutions. I am not a "health nut", but I have focused on health and dietary issues for the last year and a half, and am enjoying much improvement. So has my sweety. We have both focused on finding effective alternatives to Rx treatment. The key word is effective.

My diabetes is under such control through suppliments rather than Rx meds, it is as if I didn't really have it. Dianna has been treating her IBS with Kefir and has found that she doesn't need Prilosec and another IBS medication. Until recently, she could not enjoy a salad. The greens would cause extreem distress. But now, salads without pain. There is more, but I don't want to sound like, you know, old folks with only their lumbago to talk about.

Welcome to the ranks of the rejuvinated.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:36 PM   #12
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Congratulations Sue, on making the decidison to retired. I must agree with every one hear, I really agree with Steve.. Margaret still remind me that I'm retired and we do not have to drive 12 - 16 hour a day. I retired in August of 2004. You will enjoy doing what every make you happy without have to hurry.
Happy Retirement and go camping...
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote