Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
Denfinger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13210
Upgraded AC from Manual to Thermostat Controlled

When we bought our new 2012 Mountaineer 295RKD, we had the dealer install a new front AC (Dometic Brisk Air 457915 with manual controls) From the very beginning, we did not like the way it operates. The fan runs constantly and the AC compressor cycles on and off but we struggled with Low Med High Settings and proper settings for overnight sleeping, etc. I decided to take on the task of upgrading our system to a Thermostat Controlled Unit and also add the much controversial heat strip. I purchased the three parts needed. 3101121.030 Heat Strip, 3313189.000 Digital Thermostat and Control Kit for Single Zone and 3107210.019 ADB (Air Box) for Single Zone LCD Polar White after a call to Dometic to confirm what I needed. Bought them from Dealers for a total of 235.00. The fun part of this project is tapping into the 12 volts needed to run the thermostat and bring it to the front AC location. So my wife and I ran a 3 wire thermostat wire (12 volt certified)and also TWO (2 wire) Thermostat wire (rated for 12 volts) from the AC opening back to the first ceiling light (about 3 feet away towards the bathroom). We then disconnected the supply wire from that ceiling light to the wall switch (by the bedroom door) and taped them together and pulled all three thermostat wires through the ceiling down to the wall switch ,located by the bedroom door. One of the 2 strand wires replaced the ceiling light wire and we connected it through the wall switch as normal. The second 2 strand wire we connected BEFORE the light switch for a constant 12 Volts for the AC. The third 3 strand wire we connected to the thermostat control box along with the 12 volt supply wire. We drilled a hole in the bedroom wall at the recommended 54 inches high just above the wall light switch by the door and installed our new Dometic Digital Thermostat. (which matches our other one located in the hallway for the other unit) Once installed, I replaced our manual ADB with the new Single Zone ADB I purchased. Turned on the system and YES, it works perfect. Now we can cycle everything from AC to the Heat Strip and have our fan on auto which reads the temperature and decides low or high or off based on the temperature variances. The AC is also quieter as the new ADB has less openings which leak noise such as the manual button holes. Yes, we do like the heat strip for just knocking the chill off the air and it now cycles with the thermostat as well. The total for the project including wire was around $250 and about 6 hours work removing the old, fishing the wires, installing the new, and testing. It also adds value to the 5ver as it looks factory installed. A successful and worthwhile upgrade if you have some wiring and fishing wires experience. Quite honestly this is one place Keystone could improve now that they have the Single Zone thermostat systems out. They could run the 12 volt DC wire and a thermostat wire into the front AC mount area so you can at least decide whether you want manual or thermostat controls. I would bet during the manufacturing process, it might add $25 bucks to the cost. I gave them this feedback in my survey.

Denfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Donald,

This could be something that they changed since 2010, or could be related to Mountaineer models. My Montana has a dual zone thermostat, and the wires between the two locations were already there.

I had Camping World install the second unit, because I didn't want to lift the unit up there, and they only charge me $175 for labor. The problem was they put the 12 button thermostat control box in the new one, and I have a 5 button thermostat. When they said the wires between the two units were bad, and they wanted 10-12 hours labor to run new wires, I told them to STOP, and picked up my unit immediately.

I Google the part numbers, and found they had the wrong box installed. I called their parts dept, and they said they had the box # I wanted. Plug it is and everything fired up.

I have install heat strips on both units, and can run both units on 30 Amp service if I run frig on gas, and turn off the Converter (which is normally off for me anyway, since I use Solar for all DC loads).

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Denfinger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13210
You are correct the Montana's have the second wire set-up but the Mountaineers only have the Box wood prep and the 120 Volt AC there. They do not pre install the 12Volt wire and Thermostat wire so this was our best option. Thank you for the reply.
Denfinger is offline   Reply With Quote