Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2018, 07:03 AM   #1
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Alaska continued

We’re planning Alaska 2019 have read lots of posts.
Have mile post and Churches book.
Now more questions. We’ll be starting from Gulf Shores AL
leaving May 28. Would like to hit Canada border 2 weeks after starting.
What route would you suggest? I would like to not double back any more than necessary.
The Alaska part of this trip isn’t what concerns me its the US/Canada
One for sure is we want to hit Hyder BC towards end of trip.
Need to be back to mid Missouri August 23
Any suggestions from Gulf Shores to Dawson Creek?
Thanks

2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Sorry Hyder Alaska you are in the US ��
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
Old 11-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I think bears (and salmon) appear around first week in August at Hyder. (By the way, Hyder USA only takes Canadian money!! no banks there)
We tried once before but the salmon were running 10 days late at Whitehorse, so you never know for sure what date is good.

And if you are going to Dawson Creek, you would want to hit it opposite Hyder. Go up thru Hyder and back thru Dawson Creek. So given your desires and date, you should go up thru Dawson Creek and home thru Hyder. Go thru Banf and camp in Nat. Park by banff in Tunnel MT. 1 or 2. One of these has full hookups. Also stay at Fairmont Spring RV Park - very nice place with golf course if interested.
In BC along AlCan highway, the parks are spread out. If you want full hookups, the parks may be 200 miles or 400 miles with nothing in between. So you need to do a lot of planning.
We try to limit to 250-300 miles a day these days. So it gets tricky to plan things. In AK, I have tried 3 times to see Wrangle-St Elias park and the Kennicott mine. It has an 80 mile dirt road (really an very old railroad track area) to reach it. I won't drive it if there has been recent rain or current rain. So I guess I never will....
Fairbanks has a fish fry place (every day?) in a park down town - good chance to see which kind of salmon you like. See the spit in Homer?? - CG on the spit is just a gravel lot but has FHU and tv I think. Backs up to the inlet - maybe 75 ft. of beach to water.
If you want to see our trip, go to 'mytripjournal.com, click 'find a travelers site', and search for last name windman. Click on each day and the page [1 2] thing if you want to see it all. Can see route and pictures along the way with comments.
Have fun.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Thanks been to Alaska 2 times never driven.
Still looking for lower 48 to Dawson Creek BC ideas.
Thought about going up to Regina Saskatchewan then west?
I could go or come home that way.
Not wanting to do a lot of western states this trip that’s the following year.
Thanks for any suggestions.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
Old 11-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I would catch I90 somewhere and head to Montana. At Missoula north to Kalispell (Glacier park nearby) and cross to Canada at Eureka, MT. Then on to Banff and Jasper NP and finally Dawson Creek.
I90 goes thru Rapid City also, if you want to stop for a few days.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Question: what about the US/Canada concerns you? At the border? Traveling through the country?
At the border just make sure you have your passports and dog rabie shot record (if you have a dog). Answer the questions and when they say do you anything to declare say: "I don't think so but if you want to check" this will keep you from getting in trouble.

And don't hide weapons! Make sure you declare all.
Enjoy Canada, it is a large piece of your trip to alaska.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #7
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Mazboy it’s not so much a concern but just trying to come up with route suggestions.
Twindman, thanks that I-90 route looks good. My folks lived in Rapid City for a few years. I was there the summer of 71’ a few months.
Wouldn’t mind seeing it again.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
Old 11-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Wayne,

My recommendation would be to go up via Dawson Creek. See the West Edmonton Mall (largest mall in North America) and Liard Hot Springs on the way up. Come south via the Cassier Highway for Hyder/Stewart. The town of Smithers in BC is also a good spot to spend a day when coming back south.

For the US portion use Mapquest to find the quickest route unless you have specific spots you want to see.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
OK, I will only deal with the "lower 48" route. Here is the most direct from Gulf Shores: Hattisburg, Jackson, Vicksburg in MS; Little Rock, Fort Smith, Fayetteville in AR; Kansas City; Sioux Falls, Rapid City, SD; Billings and Great Falls and Sweetgrass in MT. Then on to Calgary and Banff in Canada.

I have made almost all of this route on various trips--not all at the same time. Lots of great places to "camp" in Arkansas: state parks, COE, and commercial. Rapid City puts you in the area of the Black Hills and Custer State Park.

The distance between Gulf Shore and Sweetgrass, MT is 2250 miles. That would be about seven driving days for me, but it would be 2 weeks at the least because I would never drive for seven days with only overnight stops.

I could give suggestions about suggested stops but I think I'll stick to route in this post.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote