Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #1
wnorton
Established Member

M.O.C. #21015
Trouble-shooting help please. Battery/Electric

Hello folks,

Today we left Calico Ghost Town (Southern Cal) headed to the Sierra's. We stopped for lunch in Ridgecrest, CA and discovered the water pump didn't work. That discovery led to us discovering that we had NO Power in the rig at all. No lights, pumps, refrigerator (was running on LP), in fact the whole electrical switch panel was out. No lights at all.

We decided to stay here for the night as our destination was a much smaller (and colder) town.

We checked into a RV Park and plugged into a 50amp electrical station/post and all is well. When I flip off the electric switch, again the rig has no power. I did a load test on the batteries (new in 3/17) they both showed 13.10 volts. (under best case, I would only expect to see 13.6-13.7) so the batteries look good.

Is there a breaker or electric shut off somewhere that I'm not aware of? The power kill switch in the convenience cabinet is on and I tried turning it off and then on again.

Ideas? I'd love any help you can provide.

Thanks
wade

wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Sounds like you have the Battery Disconnect switch turned to OFF, and this is in your convenience center, has the red key. If you can remove the red key, the batteries are disconnected from the panel. If this is the case, turn the key to ON, and you should not be able to remove the key in that position, and you will have battery power to your panel again without being connected to a pedestal with your shore cord.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Does the hydraulic system work? If you have the jacks down and the slides out then the first self resetting breaker is probably functioning.

How did you determine the batteries were at 13.1? A volt/ohm meter at the batteries or the display on the Level Up panel? Was there shore power (or the truck connected (it has to be running if you have a Ford) when you measured the 13.1V??

On and Off of the switch in the convenience center is a confusing situation. Are you *SURE* the key can not be removed in its current position??? If you can remove it then the batteries are disconnected from the fuse/converter panel.

If you have hydraulic function and the key can not be removed, then get out your volt/ohm meter and start chasing the 12V system. The positive wire from the battery goes to a self resetting breaker (for the hydraulic pump) then to a second self resetting breaker which feeds the rest of the 12V system. Check for voltage on the input and output sides of all the self resetting breakers.

The wiring from the battery to the 12V fuse panel is pretty straight forward. It is just a matter of finding the fault.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
I recently replaced the cutoff switch in my convenience center due to it braking the circuit even when in the on position. Just tapping the key would cause the switch to open. I could turn the key to the off position and back on and it would work until it got hit again.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
wnorton
Established Member

M.O.C. #21015
It is repaired. Thanks to all.

We diagnosed the problem and found it to be a 50 amp breaker behind the battery boxes.

$20 in parts and a couple hours and all is well.

Thank you all for the assistance and suggestions.
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, electric, montana, no power, problem