Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #21
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Tires and brakes are the most important items on your rig. The only thing between you and the road is the tires so keeping them in good shape is critical. I replace mine every 5 years. I don’t care what they look like it’s just cheep insurance.

Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #22
Caniel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21610
I read some where that trailer tires need to be exercised. Some thing about compounds that keep the tire supple and something else (can't remember at moment) need tire movement to work. (I'll have to look for the reference.)

I understand the worst thing one can do to a trailer (ST) tire is to let it sit with weight on it. If it is going to sit for long periods of time, I'd suggest jacking the trailer up to take the load off the tires. Naturally it would need to be properly supported for storage.

Caniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #23
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I consider the sitting still time or storage the worst situation for tires. My rule, no tires on the road with an age of over 3 years. Mileage has little to impact even though we regularly do 3500 miles a year towing. How do the tires look after 3 years--really great but the damage in my mind is to the internal structure.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #24
Razahoryin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenw View Post
Alright, here is my question for the forum.

I have a 2017 5th wheel that when I got it new in April 2017 I changed the tires to one of the two most popular tires recommended here (I'm not going to tell you!). I'm not overweight or speeding. I only put +-1500 miles per year on them and the 5th wheel is stored indoors. I expect that they will still look great in 10+ years! I read/heard that they need to be changed from every three years up to 10 years. Placing all of the other reasons aside when do I replace them based on age only? When do you replace yours?

Thanks!
Ken
I run goodyear G614’s
Change them out at 5 Years without question
The damage caused by a blow out will always exceed the cost of the tire replacement

I had recently pulled my used spare down to inspect

It was a 2012 tire used as a spare
The tread and outer side wall were perfect
The inside side wall about a inch from the rim bead was showing excessive cracking.. that tire is toast

Don’t be fooled by remaining tread
Razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #25
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I have had several blowouts, from inferior tires and from letting them go beyond five years on one occasion. The damage far exceeded the cost of new tires. Even though the tires look almost new, they disintegrate over time. I recommend changing them out every five years.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #26
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
I have had several blowouts, from inferior tires and from letting them go beyond five years on one occasion. The damage far exceeded the cost of new tires. Even though the tires look almost new, they disintegrate over time. I recommend changing them out every five years.

That ,and the Sailun S637's
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:37 AM   #27
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
Thanks for all the great advice, both how long tires should last and when to replace them even if they look good. My 2012 3150RL came with "E" rated tires and I replaced them on a regular basis, one at a time, due to slow leaks and broken belts. I started carrying new, unmounted extra tires with me on every trip! I couldn't figure out why my tires were wearing out so fast till a Texas tire technician suggested that even though I was under the weight limit for the trailer and the tires, maybe I was too close to the limit (within 1,000 lbs). I switched to "G" rated tires 2 & 1/2 years ago, which gave me another 800 lbs of tire weight capacity. So far they have been great. During those difficult years with "E" rated tires I became a fanatic about my tires and pressures, got a tire pressure monitoring system, and did a thorough tire inspection before every trip. After 2 & 1/2 years and 18,000 miles I was starting to wonder when the "G" tires should be "aged out" and replaced, even if they still look good. I am continuing my inspections, keeping the trailer weight down, and I hope I can get to 5 years!
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:22 AM   #28
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Go by the DOT date code on the tire NOT year of unit tires are on!
During my working days I went through several cab/chassis 1 tons dually’s.
Tires almost always were a year older than the model year of the truck.
This might not hold true with trailer tires on new units the way they are cranking them out !
I still go by a quote from my dad 50 years ago when I started driving.
“I want my family riding on the new half of tires “
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #29
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
The Sailuns on mine were only 3 months older than the build date
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #30
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
Originally Posted by timandsusan View Post
I consider the sitting still time or storage the worst situation for tires. My rule, no tires on the road with an age of over 3 years. Mileage has little to impact even though we regularly do 3500 miles a year towing. How do the tires look after 3 years--really great but the damage in my mind is to the internal structure.
Wow. 3 years is about half (or less) of the minimum the tire engineers recommend. To me, that's like the 3,000 mile oil change myth. Lots of people doing it in spite of all expert opinions saying it's a total waste of money and resources. However, we all choose to spend our money as we see fit. I've been pulling for 45 years now and and have NEVER suffered a blowout in a tire that was under 5 or 6 years old. I'm all about preventive caution in life, but I also stop before being silly about it.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #31
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniel View Post
I read some where that trailer tires need to be exercised. Some thing about compounds that keep the tire supple and something else (can't remember at moment) need tire movement to work. (I'll have to look for the reference.)

I understand the worst thing one can do to a trailer (ST) tire is to let it sit with weight on it. If it is going to sit for long periods of time, I'd suggest jacking the trailer up to take the load off the tires. Naturally it would need to be properly supported for storage.
Or, as I do, go out several times per storage season, use the levelers, lift each side and rotate each tire 1/4 turn and set it back down. I set my tires on a piece of heavy, flexible plastic (an old "sit on it on the snow and slide down the hill" thingy I cut up) to seperate them from the concrete.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #32
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Trailer tire aging is very unpredictable. Most tire manufacturers have a ballpark or target figure that can be found in their advertisement brochures, internet PDF files and most commonly, in their tire warranty packages. In my researching I find that Carlisle Tire probably made the first public declaration for their ST tire aging. It was a wide 3-5 years and has been duplicated numerous times in other well established internet tire information outlets.

Other tire designs by popular brands such as Goodyear or Michelin have predictions out to 10 years. But, even those protect those predictions with recommendations for tire inspections by experienced tire technicians at the 5 year mark.

IMO tires used on an RV trailers, no matter their design, must all come under the same age limit scrutiny. The constant load on RV trailer tires will play a major role in their long jeopardy. Just maybe, the higher the load capacity reserves the longer the life span. But, even that, may not counter the effect of long inactivity intervals that increases the effect of fatigue or more commonly, degrading of the tires.

Read the tire’s warranty package. And, remember, no matter what the design, they MUST be considered age-out tires.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #33
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Look, we do 5 years and change out tires. Both truck and trailer. $1,800.00 in tires only or $1,800.00 x 2 for tires and damage. We choose tires only. Hopefully that is ALWAYS wishful thinking. I have found over the years that there are taboo's, myths, that people believe. I am going to upset some people but you can't please everyone. FACTS, just because you the tire covered, or keep it off the ground/concrete does not mean its going to last longer. Did ALL the tricks and they still go bad. Best you can do to a tire is roll it. This will release the chemical in the rubber to keep the rubber together. Just because you let your tailgate down, your not going to gain any fuel mileage. Be safe a check those tires.
barryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:02 AM   #34
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
Wow. 3 years is about half (or less) of the minimum the tire engineers recommend. To me, that's like the 3,000 mile oil change myth. Lots of people doing it in spite of all expert opinions saying it's a total waste of money and resources. However, we all choose to spend our money as we see fit. I've been pulling for 45 years now and and have NEVER suffered a blowout in a tire that was under 5 or 6 years old. I'm all about preventive caution in life, but I also stop before being silly about it.
Old habits are hard to break but agree 5 or 6 years is reasonable for replacing tires and give a all around inspection when tires are off for wheel bearing greasing and a very good look at when checking the suspension before traveling. Many people just look at the outside of the tire and don't inspect the inside which is just as important.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote