Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Riverside RV Park, Bay City, Texas

Wayne's mother passed away last week, so we had to fly down on a moment's notice to arrange the services and other things. Because of other out-of-town family members were there, too, my daughter's home in Bay City had an overflow crowd. We got to stay in her other-brand 5th-wheeler which was parked in the Riverside RV Park just outside of Bay City, Texas. What a nice place! It is city-run, clean, well-patrolled, has full hookups, a separate area for full-timers, is on the Colorado River, and is filled with gorgeous oak trees. Our 2 nights there were a treat, even under the conditions which brought us there.

We did see a Montana parked in the fulltime area, but we were never in the park at a time to knock on the door and introduce ourselves because both days we were there, we left the park very early in the morning and didn't return until late at night. It rained heavily the whole time we were there, too, and that prevented us from getting a good look at the tow rig and trailer model.

We plan to camp there for a couple of weeks next summer, if possible. It's close to Matagorda (fishing and boating, and a nice beach), and it's just 10 minutes from our daughter's home.

Wayne and Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sorry to hear about the loss. Sympathies and prayers are with the family.

When you get back down, give a holler and we can get together for lunch or dinner.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Carolyn,

So sorry to hear that Wayne's mother has passed away. Our prayers are with your family during this time.

I just noticed that you you have Austin listed in your temperature signature. Do you live in the Austin area part of the year?

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:47 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ha! Ha! Austin is where she longs to be but is stuck in Montana. The temperature gauge is the only way she can stay in contact!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Waynem is right--STUCK in Montana is exactly what I am. Don't get me wrong--we love living here. We're native Texans who moved up here in 2002. However, you can go just so long without regularly seeing those gorgeous Texas wildflowers, experiencing the Music Capital of the World, choosing any kind of entertainment you want less than 30 minutes away, or eating at hundreds of places that have GOOD food. So, our plans are to move back to the north Austin area (probably out in Cedar Park, Leander, or the hills along Hwy. 1431 between there and Marble falls; in fact, we've already talked to the owners of an RV park that we hope will be our home base out that way). We'll split our time between there and Montana (grown kids and grandkids in both places).

My, oh my, how we miss our native state! Being there for 4 days last week just aggravated our homesickness.

I was born in East Bernard, Texas, grew up in Houston and moved to Wharton after I married. Wayne was born in El Campo and was immediately taken to Wharton. We moved from there to Austin in 1996 and were there until 2002. We love Austin and the surrounding Texas Hill Country. That is home to us. It just feels right.

Thanks for the kind words about Wayne's mom. She definitely was one of a kind, born in Hahn, Texas, and living in the Wharton area for 96 years before her death. I surely hope I go like she did--peacefully, in her sleep. She was ready, too, and during the last year of her life said she frequently saw and talked to her mother and 3 sisters and husband, all of whom have been dead for a long, long time. Before the Alzheimer's really took her into another world, she told us she couldn't wait to see her family again and was no more afraid of dying than she was afraid of a mouse.

Well, she had a good, long life and has gone to a better place.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
What is really nice is that you have such fond memories of her and can tell "stories". Please record them for her great and great-great grandchildren.

Hugs and prayers to the family.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Wayne, you are a very bad boy to tease a displaced Texan

Carolyn, that RV park you are talking about... is it Sunset Point? We stay there several times a year. We even have our 4th of July reservation already made.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote