Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Campgrounds Near Santa Barbara

This forum is so informative and supportive. I have been reading for the last 2 months and appreciate the support and respect for each other.

We are looking for a campground in or around Santa Barbara. We want to visit our student son and thought we would take the Montana if we can find a place not so expensive.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Even around Goleta or Carpinteria would work. We are not familiar with the area.

Thank you.

Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:56 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Check out Flying Flags. It is about a hour from Santa Barbara, but is a nice park. Solvang is close by also.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Take a look at these three campgrounds:

http://www.oceanmesa.com/
(Never been to this one)

http://www.santabarbara.com/activiti...ing/sunriserv/
(Never been to this one either)

http://www.santabarbara.com/activiti.../jalama_beach/
(No reservations, 1st come, first served campground)

I've been wanting to find a nice campground close to Santa Barbara also as it's one of my favorite places. Let us know if you end up taking the Montana and how you liked the campground you stayed at. Thanks!

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:17 AM   #4
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Thank you all. We are looking at Flying Flags. Will let you all know end of next week which one we chose when we get back!

Thanks all. This is great to belong to a place that is so helpful. We have 500 miles to tow. So also looking at maybe a place to stay half way since this is our first long tow with the Montana.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

Take a look at these three campgrounds:

http://www.oceanmesa.com/
(Never been to this one)

http://www.santabarbara.com/activiti...ing/sunriserv/
(Never been to this one either)

http://www.santabarbara.com/activiti.../jalama_beach/
(No reservations, 1st come, first served campground)

I've been wanting to find a nice campground close to Santa Barbara also as it's one of my favorite places. Let us know if you end up taking the Montana and how you liked the campground you stayed at. Thanks!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mynabird,

There are a couple of CA State Parks just north of SB. We have never stayed at them but we have driven through them just to check them out. The one closest to SB is right on the beach. The problem with it besides being full most of the time it has very tight sites. And many of the folks in there looked like they were "seasonal" type campers. Seemed to be a lot of "junk" around. The next one up the road is a very nice park. It is in two sections. A lower section closer to the beach and an upper section with great views out over the cliffs to the ocean. Sites in this park were very nice and large and often spaced with lots of space in between sites. Problem is there are no services. You would need to be completely self sufficient ...... which is no problem with your Montana. If you have a generator you would be all set.

If we were going to stay at one of these parks it would be the larger more spacious park. We have stayed at the Flying Flags park and like it a lot. They have gotten somewhat more expensive since they completed a lot of improvements in the park. It is about a 40 minute drive north of SB. This is no problem since it is right on 101. Lots of things to do and see around that area. If you are looking in the book the park is under Buelleton, CA.

If you need to stop in or around Bakersfield on your way south be sure and drop us a note. Be glad to share info about the area and of course if you need a place to spend the night our driveway is always available. Just drop us a note to make sure we'll be around to help out.

Have a great trip.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Be sure to call ahead. Heard on the news this morning that a forest fire burned a bunch of homes near SB last night!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I was at Jalama Beach last month. Real nice if you like being near or on the beach. Some sites back right up the the waters edge. There is also a grill there that is world famous for their Jalama Burger, you could google it I'm sure. I think it is about an hour from Santa Barbra.
Be warned this is the kind of place to go to to lay back and relax.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Great Big Thanks all!

I believe the fire is a little south and east of Santa Barbara, but not by much. Son says he is ok, so come on down.

See ya all later
Old 11-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
We are back! Flying Flags RV Resort in Buellton is a super nice place to stay!

Drove down Hwy. 101 and stayed the night in Camping World lot Sunday night at St. Martins and then on down to Buellton. Today we came across mountains on Hwy 46 from 101 and then up I-5 to Stockton and then home. Roads are greatly improved!

Hubby really liked the 16-17 mpg we got also!

Nice to be home now. Nice to be gone and nice to be home.

Thanks everyone for your excellent advise!
Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mynabird,

If you don't mind telling..... how much are they charging at Flying Flags?

Thanks,

HamRad
Old 11-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #11
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Like everyone else said, Jalama Beach is nice if you like the ocean and want to layback. However, it gets pretty windy, most sites with hookups are taken and the 12 miles stretch of road is narrow and curvey. Flying Flags by Solvang is very nice, but expensive. I would suggest Lake Cachuma on Hwy 154 about 7 miles from Solvane. It is a Santa Barbara County park, full hook-ups, grocery story and very reasonable. From the park, you take Hwy 154 south less than 27 miles and it comes right out in Santa Barbara.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
HamRad, It must be pretty high as they don't show their rates on the web site.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
49merc,

Yeah. I agree. We had the Spring Rally there a couple of years back and the rate was fairly reasonable but I think they went up substantially right after that. I think they are up in the $40 to 50+ range! Nice park but getting too expensive.

HamRad
Old 11-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #14
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Unfortunately the $40 and up parks have pretty much priced me out particularly after what has happened to my rolled over 401k IRA plan. What has taken a few months to take down will take many years to recover if at all.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
HamRod - yes they are in the $21-46 & up range. Rumor has it they are upgrading most sites with cement pad and patio. (Lots of contruction of this going on now.)

Another son had given us a book titled Camping California by Tom Stienstra. This had the El Capitan, Refugio and Gaviota State Beach park along with Jalama Beach County Park. The State Beaches had no hook ups and seeing that we have not invested in a generator yet...

We did scout out El Capitan Beach State Park. Very nice and would consider this next time if we have purchased a generator by then.

Across Highway 101 was another resort that was charging $75 & up per night! Nice, but way out of our price range.

Thanks everyone for your input!