Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Charleston and Savannah Campgrounds

We are heading to Charleston and Savannah in a few weeks. Does anyone have any campgrounds that they liked and would recommend??

Tim and Susan Millington

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
If you are going to Charlestown you should consider James Island Campground. Its a county park but Very nice. If you get the chance see it between Thanksgiving and New Years...3 million light bulbs. It's unbelieve. Stay at the campground and admission is free.
We stayed at exit 94 in Savannah and went east for about 4 miles and there was a campground on the left. Plenty of room but not concrete pads.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Savannah is originally home for us. There are few campgrounds in Savannah. Near I-95 is a campground called Bellaire. It's ok. At the beach (Tybee) is a nice campground, if you can get in. I think it's called River's Inn. If you like State Parks there is a beautiful state park on Skidaway Island. It's on a barrier island. It is a nice area and the island is home to the largest gated community east of the Mississippi called The Landings.

Charleston - James Island all the way. And HughM is right. The Christmas lights are amazing. When we used to camp in Charleston, we would only stay at James Island.

Have fun!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:34 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I third the James Island in Charleston. It is great. We also were there when the lights were on.

Tybee Island is our favorite park in the Savannah area but the City has taken it over and the fees have gotten pretty pricy. I don't think you will find it as busy as it used to be. Not bad for a couple of days though.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We spent the last two winters in Savannah, Skidaway is great. Tammy, the Belaire is now called Savannah Oaks. It is one of the older CGs in the area and show it's age. We did luck out and find a tiny CG (11) sites at the intersection of Veterans Pkwy and Chatham. It is called Red Gate farms. They have full hookups but nothing else but the price is great. Last year it was 125 a week or 310 a month. No extra charge for elec. when you exit Veterans onto Chatham (north)it is the very first driveway on the left. There is a very old trailer there that houses the manager "Jimmy". There are no reservations just show up, If there is an empty site pull in and if Jimmy isn't there he will stop by when he gets back. Google earth Savannah and find the intersection. you will get an idea how easy it is to get into and out of... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:25 AM   #6
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
James Island
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Dave, I forgot about Red Gate Farms. I've been there for a few wedding receptions. Pretty place. Sooo, they changed the name of Bellaire. Did they also change owners? It certainly does show its age.

We always loved camping at Skidaway. And yes, the Monty will fit in this state park. Absolutely beautiful. If you stay here, you must walk the boardwalk thru the trees down to the small beach on the intracoastal waterway. I love going there to watch the boats and to smell the salt air.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The one on Tybee is called Rivers End CG. We've been there twice for two months each time and had planned a third time. However, the city bought the park and just about doubled the rates. We canceled. It's a good location but make sure those rates fit your budget.

We also like Skidaway State Park. We've not stayed there but have visited the park itself and drove through the rv park. Nice. As Icehouse said, the boardwalk is a nice easy hike. There are some other hiking trails in the park, also. All are easy. All are enjoyable. I'd call them more of the nature trail variety than a hike. Skidaway Island was a bootlegger's paradise back in the prohibiion days. Pick up some literature at the park office. And see the remains of a still on one of the hikes. No white lightnin' to be found, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Tammy, we run the dogs on the trails all the time, and been to that beach several times. But they want to jump into the sloughs along the trails, PEEEEEEWWWWWW!!! They need a skunk bath.. Steve, Rivers End is nice but very tight to get into and out of and Tybee is not dog friendly. No dogs on the beach so obviously that is a wash for us. Tammy Belaire has new owners and it is still an expensive dump, you don't even want to park down in the back area by the slough, the ground saturates immediately after a rain and the rig and you sink into the mud.. Dave
Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
We are presently camp hosting here at Skidaway. We will be here until December 31. There are plenty of sites large enough for the largest Montanas. These is a two week limit but they have been known to bend that rule occasionally. Come on down!
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
LOL, they bent and broke it several times over last winter, we sat on the same site for 7 weeks. We even had a big enough hole in the trees to get Hughes and directv up and running. We love that place... Dave
Old 10-13-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I love Skidaway! Sure do miss it, but not enough to move back.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:00 AM   #13
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
We stayed at skid away 2 two years ago and loved it,sometimes the parks will let you put the site in the dw name after two weeks.Did they get sewers yet,they were talking about it when we where there.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I don't want to hijack timandsusan's thread, but I want to thank everyone for their responses - especially those who recommended James Island County Park in Charleston, SC. We are here for 4 nights and it's really NEAT! I also want to thank Steve and Vickie Reigle for their "postcards" which we review before we visit an area!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I kind of thought you might enjoy James Island County Park..I've never met anybody that didn't like it.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
VanMan, I just read your comment to Vicki about her postcards. She was open-mouth flattered that anyone would see that kind of value in them. Thank you very much for your very nice comments. She also just commented "now if I could just get caught up!" We're about two months behind...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #17
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
We just left Charleston Friday morning. Stayed at the Oak Plantation RV Park and it is awesome. It is a big beautiful park. Owners live on site. WI-FI worked great. Spaces are large enough for big rigs. No cable TV is the only negative I could find with this park. It is right on Hi-way 17 about 6 or 7 miles from all the action downtown. If we are ever back in Charleston we will definitely stay here. $31 a night with Good Sam
maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #18
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We ended up at the KOA off US17 north and it was great! Yes we paid a little more but everything worked--wifi, cable, etc. Even after 8.2 inches of rain in about 12 hours on Friday, the place bearly had a puddle of water standing. The location was really easy for access to beaches, shopping in Mt. Pleasant, plantation tours, and touring downtown Charleston.
In Savannah, we stayed in Savannah Oaks that is just about 15 miles out of Savannah. We enjoyed there location also because everything worked! Also great restaurants nearby. So all in all, we had a wonderful time along the Atlantic coast!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote