Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A picture of the Ram

It was good that I uncovered the Ram-piston, slide mechanics.
The hydraulic line was rubbing up against the sharp edge of the metal. You would slice your finger if you rubbed it along the metal, 4 screws in the security box, Two screws in the plywood, take it off and at least protect the line from the metal. It would vibrate and you would have a cut line. See the U-shaped channel iron in the picture? The top of the Two edges are sharp as a knife. In the picture, I already curled the hose up in the air, it was laying against the sharp metal.
I stuck the wiring under the wood cover to protect it.
Now we have more room for 'Stuff'.
Ozz
http://i7.tinypic.com/21l8iog.jpg

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Ozz
I better get under my bed and check things out, hate to have a hyd. line blow under there. I like your cover for the ram in your other thread, good idea.

Are you getting some water under your bed, I see some rust. Maybe I shouldn't ask.

Dick and Jackie, Columbia Basin, Washington
2005 2980RL
2004 3500 Dodge diesel

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, I saw the rust, must have been sitting out in the weather before assembly. At least that's what Sue told me.
Sometimes it's best not asking many questions of the Spouse..........

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
Hadley Air Horns
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock
Old 08-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I also had rust under there and also had to re arrange the lines around..It is not hard to get under there and it is a good idea to look.Those assembly lines move fast and sometimes those crafts men do not have enough time to do a good job,I will suggest that those going to the Fall Rally take a tour of the Sprinter Plant.It is on a Tuesday and is in full operation on the tour..See the old world craftsmen in action.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
While you are under there you may also want to check at how the bed frame is attached to the wall. Mine has only some small screws and one of the times that I opened the slider they all pulled out. Don't know what I am going to do to fix it.

You will have to pull off the small piece of plywood from the head of the bed to get under it. If you do remember that the other end of the lift cylinders are attached to that board. No problem but thing start to move around when you take the screws out.

More storage space?

2005 2980RL
2004 3500 Dodge diesel

Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dick,
Thanks for the tip, I will crawl under and around and survey the attachment method, if I come up with an idea for securing, I'll let you know, and post it as well.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
Hadley Air Horns
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock
Old 08-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
Shane01638
Established Member

M.O.C. #4613
I wish I would have read this before I glued down cedar paneling. Makes the sheets and towels smell nice though. It would be a real pain though if I did have to get under there.

Anchorage, AK
2005 Montana 3295RK Loaded with custom floor plan!
2005 Silverado LT CC D/A LB Loaded
25K Air Ride Hitch by Air Ride Technologies
Prodigy Brake Controller
Shane01638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Ozz, thanks for another good tip. Now I have another thing to check out, but better to fix it in my yard than out on the road. Take care.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:14 PM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
[quote]Originally posted by Ozz

Dick,
Thanks for the tip, I will crawl under and around and survey the attachment method, if I come up with an idea for securing, I'll let you know, and post it as well.
Ozz

Thanks Ozz, any ideas would be great. The slider really tips when it goes out and I am not happy with that.

2005 2980RL
2004 3500 Dodge diesel

Old 08-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I went a step further. Yes, I too found the hose laying on the sharp angle iron. I was impressed with the extra storage that is under that plywood board. The sharp and somewhat dirty steel posed a problem. I had an idea. I went digging for my Gorilla tape and started taping the edges of that angle iron and I got carried away, started covering all edges and the top of most of the exposed steel.

This really does a very good job of protecting the sharp edges. Lots of storage, and I can still slide the top plywood back over the assembly for even more storage (need to install a drawer handle on the edge of the plywood). You can see that I also unscrewed my "safe box" and stashed underneath.

Don't store white linens, etc underneath, as any steel still exposed is oily/dirty a little. Not bad, just don't want anything white on them.

Also, one must be carefully aware that this is also an opportunity to add to the pin weight...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:43 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good job, Dave! You are always thinkin!
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup Camera, Awning lock
Old 08-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Question -- not all of the carpet area under the board can realistically be used for storage because of slide movement, right? Assuming I don't want to move things when I want to move the slide. From the pictures it appears the area aft (in the picture) of the cross bar sitting near the floor is about it, right?

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:10 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You are right, Steve. The bed is on wheels. It will move whatever distance the slide is, with anything on the carpet not moving in with the bed so you may not have too much space to store. I can close the slide and watch the action. Might not be able to store anything beyond that last metal brace attached to the floor. I'm curious now... Cheryl is sleeping... probably be offended if I turn on the lights, and ask her get out of bed at 12:10 AM to hit the slide switch for me, while I watch with my tape measure. What-da-ya-think???

Your probably all thinking I just ate my "Last Supper".

Old 08-22-2006, 06:41 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks for posting the pictures Dave - I've never looked under there and I sure didn't know there were hydraulics inside the coach. You gave me incentive to do a little preventive maintenance.

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/CO/Littleton.gif"border=0
alt="ClickforLittleton,Colorado Forecast"height=100width=150[/img]

2003 2955RL - 5.5KW Gen - great for the lake!
New '06 F350 Stroker towmoter in July - love the new trans shift and integrated brake controller.
'95 SeaRay 200BR named Dam-It - occassional tow buddy

I ain't as good as I once was - but I'm as good once as I always was - Toby Keith

Brad & Dory
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:58 AM   #15
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
[quote]Originally posted by dsprik

You are right, Steve. The bed is on wheels. It will move whatever distance the slide is, with anything on the carpet not moving in with the bed so you may not have too much space to store. I can close the slide and watch the action. Might not be able to store anything beyond that last metal brace attached to the floor. I'm curious now... Cheryl is sleeping... probably be offended if I turn on the lights, and ask her get out of bed at 12:10 AM to hit the slide switch for me, while I watch with my tape measure. What-da-ya-think???
Your probably all thinking I just ate my "Last Supper".

C-Mon Dave where's your sense of adventure?
Rick.

2005 Montana 3670
2005 Chevy 2500HD D/A
Pullrite SuperGlide
Prodigy/Intella-Stop
Doran Pressure Pro
Ride Rite air bags
In-cab controller

Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rick, it's lodged in my stomach...

Actually, I played around with BR slide today. The bed frame moves about ~23 inches. The bottom of the slide is actually HIGH. It looks like a 3/4 inch piece of plywood coming in. You still have storage area ALL the way to the headboard. All carpet is storable space (did I just invent a new word again? I'll add it to my dictionary, Sue). Just have to make sure anything in there will clear when the bottom ot the slide comes in - which is just under the other plywood false bottom. I was surprised to see this. Lots more room than I thought... Also, I taped the ends of the square steel tube, and you can tape the edges of the ends, but I found out that there is a tube inside of that one that comes through and pushes out about 2-3 inches. This demolished my tape job, but the edges are still covered.

Also, the queen bed is NOT rounded like the king bed. You have to push the mattress ALL the way toward the closet before closing the slide. You all knew that, I didn't. The end of the mattress that comes up to the vanity is almost worn right through from being jammed against the cupboard doors. I'm changing the queen out anyway, but I missed this little item when I was apparently told?

Old 08-23-2006, 03:34 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just don't put anything in front of that crossmember at the very foot of the bed,,it will not be a pretty picture..do not ask me how I know that////

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #18
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
While you guys are down under the bed, you might also take a look at the slide adjustment aparatus located under the smaller plywood bed support (toward the head of the bed). Why would you want to do this you ask? Well, if you need to adjust this slide, this is where it happens. An since, when fully extended, I could see daylight at the top of my BR slide, adjustment seemed in order. And when I looked, there were two loose bolts. No wonder there were problems.

The best way to get into this area is to remove one screw from each of the hinges (I have 2 hinges). Redrill these 2 screws into the larger plywood top and down into the side rails of the bed support. This will hold the large plywood part in place when the remaining hinge screws are removed. Then remove the remaining screws that hold the small plywood in place and lift it off.

Not securing the large plywood will allow the bed lift shocks to quickly and with a fair amount of gusto, move the large plywood board up and away fromthe head board. It then takes 2 men and a big dog to get it back in place.

By the way, this mechanism is designed to allow the ram shaft to slip/move through a slightly larger hole in part of the mechanism. Since this shaft is threaded, it will make a slight grinding noise at the beginning of inward (and also outward) movement as the threading bounces throught the hole. It will be almost impossible to get rid of this noise.

Rick & Wanda
2003 2500HD Crew Cab
Duramax with Allison Trans.
Firestone Airbags
Glide-Ride Pinbox - It's Great!
2006 3400RL - We Love The Trailer!

Montana Customer Service?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:02 PM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Rick,
I will print this and file in my Monte!
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock