Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Big Bend Campgrounds

Any recommendations for Big Bend Campgrounds for the January-February period?

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I like to stay at Stillwell Ranch, It is just South of Marathon on the way to Big Bend. They have a web site. If you go there be sure a try one of Nan's burritos, if she is still making them. There is a full hook-up parking lot by the store in Rio Grande Village as well as dry camping at/on the river just East of the store and Cotton Wood camp ground. I believe the two dry camp areas are "no generators". On the other side of the Park is Terlingua and there is a full hook up park there. As you are probably aware, things are in limited supply out there, stock up on the way in. Wish I were going.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
We were there last year, stayed in Terlingua. This was convenient for the park and other sight seeing. No cell phone coverage, but internet in the cafe/office. In the park they have 3 camp grounds, 2 are dry camping the third one is in the middle of the park and only about 20-30 sites on first come basis, no reservations. Spent a week going through the park and surrounding area. Great photo opps all around. Enjoy! If you are coming from New Mexico, just as you cross the Texas border on I-10, there is a camping world that has a rv park. Not much for looks, all gravel. But very convent for El Paso and Las Crusis. Any you can wash the RV there as well.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
There is also a full hook-up campground in the park. It is near the bigger of the three NPS campgrounds, next to the little store. They do take reservations and it is recommended. We stayed there last year. Started in the NPS campground and put our name on the list, checking every day. It took about 3 days, but we got in. Like Bob says, no cell coverage, no groceries, but beautiful scenery.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Tim and Susan,

We were just at Big Bend last week. The Cottonwood and the Rio Grand Village campgrounds both got flooded when the Rio Grande river was overwhelmed my a dam breach on the Mexico side.

The Cottonwood campground is 23 miles from the main road, little steep in places but negotiable. Half of the Cottonwood campground is gone due to the flood, but there are several other sites that have been recently repaired, we stayed there for 3 days, we stayed in space #11. Cottonwood is nice because they do not allow generators....worked perfect for our solar system. There are no utilities available, but there is drinking water.

The Rio Grand Village campground has full-hookups on a paved 'real-close' quarters for about $25. We opted for the RV area they recently created that is basically just a grass field, they charge $14/day for no utilities. On another note, they were busily working on the destroyed part of the campground, and they were hoping to have it ready by Thanksgiving.

In Terulinga, which is outside of the park, we stayed at BJ' RV resort, cost was $20/night for full hookups....absolutely nothing to write home about, but a good place for us to get ready to go into the park.

Good luck, if there is any other information we can supply, let us know.

BTW, don't miss the Chisos basin at Big Bend!!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:25 AM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
All--thanks for the info. Yes, the flood this year did mess up alot of desert things that were not used to water! I will check out who is open when we get closer to going. By the way, another great area to visit in that part of Texas is the Big Bend Ranch State Park outside of Presidio. There is only one RV park east of Presidio and we stayed there last spring. It was away from the river, I don't know if it was flooded or not. It did have full hookups as well as Cable--I seem to remember about 6 channels. Everyone said it is usually full during winter. The State park has wonderful tours of the desert ranch--check out the Texas Parks and Wildlife web for a description. There are no RV facilities at the park. The 20+mile dirt and rock road to the park hdq is way to rough for any RV!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote