Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Petrified Forest Area of AZ (Need Info)

Can anyone tell me about any CG's around or near the Petrified Forest on I-40, Arizona?

Thanks.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Wayne, Have not camped in the area, but found these on the nps.gov for the Petrified Forest web site

Outside the south entrance of the park, at the junction of the park road and Highway 180, two privately owned gift shops allow overnight parking in their parking lots.

Off Interstate 40, about 18 miles west of the north entrance to the park, Sun Valley has the “Root 66 RV Park” with hook-ups.

In Holbrook, 26 miles west of the park, there is both a KOA and a Good Sam’s RV park (the OK RV Park). For more information about places to stay, contact the Holbrook Chamber of Commerce at (800) 524-2459 or write them at 100 E. Arizona, Holbrook, AZ 86025.

Near Winslow, 1 hour west of the park, is Homolovi Ruins State Park with a campground and facilities.

Near St. Johns, 1 hour southeast of the park, is Lyman Lake State Park with a campground, cabins, and yurts.

Other state parks in the region can be explored at Arizona State Parks.

Near Gallup, New Mexico, 1 hour east of the park, is Red Rock State Park, with a campground and facilities.

http://www.nps.gov/pefo/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Wayne, there is an RV park at the entrance to the Meteor Crater near Winslow right off I 40. It isn't far from the Petrified Forest. Don't go to far south of the Forest or you will be in snow. Be sure to stand on a corner when you go through Winslow!
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:38 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks Bob. I should have added a request for recommendation. I'm leaning more to the Route 66 CG, but would like ot hear any pro's and con's on anything in Holbrook or Sun Valley.

Thanks.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:55 AM   #5
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
We have stayed at the Route 66 RV Park, nothing fancy but did have full hookup and was close to the NP. We stayed there in November about 4 years ago.
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Thanks Bob. I should have added a request for recommendation. I'm leaning more to the Route 66 CG, but would like ot hear any pro's and con's on anything in Holbrook or Sun Valley.

Thanks.
The Route 66 CG is the parking lot of an old Motel and is separated from I-40 by a chain link fence. I think you would get a better nights sleep by staying in Holbrook.

RV Park Reviews says that the KOA in Holbrook is your best bet. http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions.../Holbrook.html
We stayed at the OK RV Park in Holbrook back in April and would not stay there again the sites are very close together.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
rwellesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #7799
We stayed at the OK RV Park in Holbrook last Jan. It was easy to access and had large pull thru sites. The sites were close but since there were only a few rigs there and we didn't have any one next to us it wasn't an issue. We plan to stay there again next Jan. Due to the cold temperature (high of 18) we didn't see much of the area. Looks like there is plenty to see and do in the area.

The KOA looked good from the road.
rwellesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Wayne, We got snowed in for 3 days at the KOA in Holbrook about 3 years ago. Can't tell you much about the campground as everything was under a white blanket but the spaces were easily accessable. The owners opened up a big room upstairs from the office and put on a couple of snowbound parties. They worked hard with everyone to keep them updated on road conditions for the various routes they were using to exit Holbrook. Really nice people and they went out of their way to see that everyone had/got what they needed.