Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
emurray
Established Member

M.O.C. #6507

Hello everyone,
My name is Edward Murray and my wife is Lena. We have homes Kingsport, TN and in Pennington Gap, Va. We've been retired from IBM for about 10 years. In July we purchased a 2006 Montana Mountaineer 344RET and a 2006 GMC 2500 with the Duramax Deisel/Allison transmission combination.

We happened to meet Glenn and Lorraine at a Flying J, back in October, when we were on our way to PA. They came up and introduced themselves and told us about the club. When we got back from that trip, we checked it out and decided to join, so here we are.

Since we took delivery of our rig, in July, we have been on 8 trips of varying lengths. So far, it has been a fantastic adventure and promises to only get better as we gain more experience in the fine art of RVing. I have camped in tents for a number of years and owned a couple of RVs in the past. The Montana is a perfect fit for the two of us. It has quickly become a third home for us and is now the one that we prefer to be in. It sure is nice to have a home, with all of your favorite stuff, that you can take with you, wherever and whenever you go.

We are very fortunate that we live in a area that is rich in scenic beauty has lots of places to explore and we are taking full advantage of the opportunity that we have. In fact, we won't be winterizing our rig, because we'll be using it right through the winter. We have plenty of room at our home in VA, so we'll keep it there (plugged in) when ever we're not on the road.

We are planning a trip to the Northwest, in the spring, and plan to be gone for about 3 months or so. In the meantime, we'll continue to take 7 to 10 day trips, every 2-3 weeks. The only problem we anticipate, right now, is deciding where to go next. That's a tough problem to have, ain't it.

We're happy to be members of the MOC. It's nice to be part of such an experienced and knowledgeable group.

emurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Ed and Lena to the MOC family.
So glad you finally got around to joining and making your first post.
I can't believe you were in that same Flying J when we were returning to Florida. I wanted to check out the Mountaineer we saw sitting in the RV area but were running late to visit friends in Staunton and had to keep moving. I did comment to Lorraine that it would have been too much of a coincidence for a second chance meeting.

We will be heading to The Rally in Redmond Oregon in July so if you're still in the NE area drop us a line.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ed and Lena, that is great and we hope you have many great adventures in the future. Glad you ran into Glenn and Lorraine and joined our Forum. This is a great place.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Welcome Ed, If we are still here (Northwest) next Spring, look us up.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
Welcome. We also have a 2006 344RET that we just purchased in early September. Please stay in touch and keep me informed of issues and improvements you've made to to your rig. The only major problem I had was a wacky propane detector that immediately had to be replaced and a bent rear stabilizer that was replaced, both of these under warranty. I removed the plastic tray on the slideout bumper and replaced it with 1/8" aluminum diamond plate that I installed front bike fork holders to attach our recumbents to.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Welcome Ed
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #7
emurray
Established Member

M.O.C. #6507
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Craig A

Welcome. We also have a 2006 344RET that we just purchased in early September. Please stay in touch and keep me informed of issues and improvements you've made to to your rig. The only major problem I had was a wacky propane detector that immediately had to be replaced and a bent rear stabilizer that was replaced, both of these under warranty. I removed the plastic tray on the slideout bumper and replaced it with 1/8" aluminum diamond plate that I installed front bike fork holders to attach our recumbents to.
The only real issue we've had was a leaky propane regulator/automatic switchover valve. I noticed that we were using what I thought was an excessive amount of propane. I also noticed that when I removed the empty tank, propane was escaping, at a steady rate, from the connecting hose, even though the valve was was switched to the other tank. The dealer replaced the regulator/valve under warranty without question. It seems OK now.
emurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hello ED and Lena,

Glad to have the two of you aboard. I have two friends who are also retired IBMers. It seems to have been a great company to be with during their years of employment.

I think the Mountaineer will continue to grow on you. Who knows, one day you may decide to become a nomad or gypsy like those of us who are fulltimers.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:13 AM   #9
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Welcome aboard Ed & Lena.

I just joined the board last week. It has been interesting reading and learning new things from the members. We live in VA also and got our new camper the 3rd of October. We have made a couple trips with it so far. Will be looking forward to reading about your adventures
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:00 AM   #10
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Welcome Ed & Len to the MOC,
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:48 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome Ed and Lena - Congrats on you new rig and 8 successful adventures!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:42 AM   #12
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Welcome Ed & Lena Looking forward to meeting you down the road. We also live in the NW(Spokane,WA area). If we can help you in your travel in the NW just let us know.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:14 PM   #13
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
Welcome to the MOC Forum.I'm sure you will enjoy your new 3RD home.I love your part of the country and it would nearly be hard to leave it and go anywhere for me.
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote