Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
kenandjudy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10640
slider hitch

I was talking to the Montana dealer about a slider hitch, he said they are installing fewer sliders due to the new 5er design. i would appreciate any comments on this. My TV is a 2500HD Duramax with a 6 1/2 ft. bed
thanks kenandjudy

kenandjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
KenandJudy,
Generally the slider hitches are considered a good investment. The downside is that they can be fairly expensive. Especially the automatic type. Of course a broken rear window and dinged up cab can be expensive also.

I believe this issue has come up several times so you might try a "SEARCH" and see if more info comes up.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
kenandjudy, I had a short bed Chevy when I first started out and had a slider hitch installed. In the year I drove that truck and trailer I never needed to use the slider. I did, however, watch VERY closely when I backed into a narrow spot. It's one of those things that you MAY need some day and MAY not. My opinion is that I would rather have one and not need it than to not have one and need it. Good luck and Welcome to: "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW!"
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
We have the superglide hitch...turn at least 90 degrees with no worry with our short bed f250...same when backing up...I would not be without one...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I too have a superglide and would not pull without it. Having it is just one thing less I have to worry about.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I have a Superglide in my short bed Dodge and wouldn't be without it. Like stated above, it is one less thing to think about when trying to get into a tight site or negotiating and sharp turn at an intersection in heavy traffic.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we have a slide hitch and with the new front cap on our 2010 we find we don't need to use it anymore. We watch closeley if we think we are making too sharp of a turn and it has not been needed. Now it may be necessary to use it if the terrain was steep--don;t know
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think what KenandJudy is referring to is the fact Keystone Montana has been lauding the fact that the new front cap is supposed to be Short Bed friendlier and the angle of the front cap will help eliminate the need for the slider. I know the claim is that the new front cap allows for a great turning degree but I don't know if it's good enough to eliminate the need for a slider.

I am guessing that a superglide or similar product would eliminate truck cab contact no matter what. Some owners are confident enough to not use one even with the older Montanas with the more squared off front cap. I don't know any more than this, but at this weekend's RV trip, we saw another short bed that is used for an SOB Toy hauler and the TV had the telltale dent at the truck's cab corner on the driver's side showing that contact was made.

On edit - well there you have it. I was making this post when jpkelpe posted their experience with the new front cap. See above.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:29 AM   #9
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I opted to get one, a Reese manual slider. I have cranked the Mountaineer into some tight spots without it, and the dealer said it wasn't necessary to have a slider due to the end cap design. That's nice, but if I never use it, that's ok too. Kind of like a parachute.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:14 AM   #10
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Superglide all the way, expensive yes, piece of mind priceless.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:43 AM   #11
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
We have the Reese manual slider in ours and have never needed to use it. I do watch closely on tight turns and think of the slider as "insurance" if I ever need it. If you can afford the cost it would be nice to have an automatic slider. As everyone says just one less thing to have to worry about.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:47 AM   #12
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Two things I have never heard an owner of a large 5th wheel ever regret...

(1) Diesel engine (I hear of people migrating from gas to diesel, but never the other way...)
(2) Slider hitch (again, migrating from non-slider to slider yes, never from slider back to non-slider...)

I have one even with an 8' bed. Thought I would never use it, however we did once*.... We decided to buy a slider 8 years ago vs non-slider. Cost difference was $250 at the time. I felt if I decide in the future to change trucks and opt for a short bed, I did not want to have to buy another hitch. Yes more expensive than the non-slider, but given the $80-100K investment in the truck and Montana, $250 extra is really peanuts.

* The one time I did need it.. a fellow RV'r broke down on the interstate a few miles from our house... we were driving by and offered to help. The 5th was one of the smaller 1/2 ton models and when we tried to hook up to my truck, the hitch was too far forward. Slid back and was able to get the campers off to a nearby campground until their truck was fixed. Without sliding, their camper would hit the rear of my bed rails strangely enough. Slid back all was OK, riding nose up of course, but safe enough to get them off the interstate and into a campground for the night.

Recommendation for a slider... buy a slider and forget about upgrading to one after you replace the glass.. it really is easier that way even if you never use it.

tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ken and Judy, to me the slider is not necessarily an absolute necessity all the time but there *might* come a time when you regret not having one.

My first 13 years of towing fifthwheels with a shortbed truck included five years of fulltiming. In all those years, I actually used the slider (meaning I activated the manual slider) FOUR times. Unfortunately, I should have used it FIVE times. Fortunately, the damage to the truck was very minor and even less so to the FW, thanks to my wife seeing what was coming and getting me stopped just after first contact.

Now we have the superglide automatic slider and we no longer have to hope my confidence level does not exceed my ability to recognize a problem about to happen.

My opinion is you can get along without the slider most of the time, maybe all the time. But if you need it you'll be glad you have it. A manual slider is fine. Just be sure you don't get complacent or overconfident. In other words, if there's any doubt, use it. If the cost is not an issue, then I highly recommend the superglide auto slider.

Good luck to you folks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 AM   #14
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
I have a GMC 2500 HD extended cab and got our fifth wheel in 2006. I had a manual slider and the first year would use it all the time being conservative. After a while I found that I did not need it and did not use it. And then... I put the 5th wheel through the back window getting into a really tight site when I was frustrated turning around. It was a surprise for the kids in the back. One told me "I don't think it is safe back hear" and the other took the opportunity to check to see if the back window was made of candy!

I have also used it when the site is at the top of a steep hill. We have lots of small site challenges in the NE!

I would suggest having one.
Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #15
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
When I moved from a shortbed to my present 8' bed I didn't think I would need the superglide anymore, but installed it anyway because I already owned it. Now I'm glad I have it. I find I can pack bicycles and other taller items in the bed of my truck behind the cab and still have clearance for a full 90 deg. turn angle.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Super glide all the way;;Never be without it.If you get in some small parking lot you can get out ..Even with all your windows;;sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #17
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
Wasn't sure I would ever use it after spending the extra money. However, in my first two month trip out I found myself in a campground (more like a restricted rectangular parking lot) that filled up a lot tighter than when I got there. Had to use it then and was very glad I had it. Be sure to keep it lubricated and practice with it soon after you get it. Didn't prefer the gear type due to the extra expense and tight alignment during hookup. The new trailers with the bullet nose will let you make some tight turns, but if you work at it you could probably break some frame and glass.