Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
House for Monty

I am planning on buying a metal carport type cover for Monty. I was looking at an 18ft x 42ft cover. What are your thoughts on the width? What sizes do other people have?

ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have a 40'x50' 16' high and I wish that it was longer. However our cover is open. At the time we were building the cover we were full timing and though we would be living in the 5th wheel when we were in Tennessee (Home Base). its plenty wide we also park our car and Truck there. We may in the future inclose the whole building. I don believe your RV should be covered as much as posible. Good Luck with your choice. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
20' x 50' garage.

I'd check to be sure you can get all the slides open...even if you back in and are not exactly in the center.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
Mine is 20'x40' with 15' side walls---if I park so that my slides will open and be very close to the drivers side wall I can get my awning down but not up---I have a 3295RK and I would like for the RV port to be a few feet longer but at least the whole RV is covered and with the sheeting covering down 7' from the top I am safe from hail and most of the suns rays--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have a 3000RK and park it in a 14'x38', 13'high, just barely large enough to open the slides and the door. There is enough room on top to get round but not to stand up. That being said I wish I had had more room, a little longer and maybe a little wider, but with the space I had, it that was all that would fit.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
When it comes to storage...bigger is better! Height can be important as well especially if you use the Monty as a "guest house" and if the antenna needs to be deployed for reception. (Our experience with my Dad's...our cover has yet to be built...a matter of not currently having "cubic money!") Also he had the roof come down on the sides a bit (maybe a couple of feet...I'd have to check) for more wind, rain, hail, sun protection (from solar heat gain perspective). Longer and wider than the unit for the same reasons (including when the slides are extended). You also want easy access for when you are loading/unloading so you want to be able to open all of the doors/hatches AND be able to walk around them under cover.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We're thinking about doing this too on our property in Montana. Wonder what is a ball park figure on cost? Are you all talking about a Poll Barn kinda thingy without side walls? How tall would the side walls need to be to make one able to stand up on top of their Montana at least reasonably stand up? Dick's nearly 6'3" & he'll be the one up there. I am totally phobic of heights so I ain't going up there.

If we do this we'll be living in Sky under it before & while we are building a home there. So any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Buddy & Fay, I'm not trying to high jack your thread, just get a bit more information without starting a new thread. Hope that's OK? If not, please forgive me if I am outta line, PM me & I'll edit my post.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
No problem Patty, the more info the better. The 18 x 42 with 12 foot sides that I am looking at is built on a 3 and 12 pitch which would give me 12' clearance at the edges and 14' at the center. Since my Monty is 11' 9" at the sides and 12' 9" at the center over the AC I think it should clear OK. My 3400RL is 8' wide with the slides in and 14' 2" with the slides out. I don't know what it is with the awning out. I may not have room to open the awning. I might need to go to 20' wide to clear the awning. Patty the cost for this 18 x 42 with 12' sides all metal building with about 3' of metal sides coming down from the top, installed here in Tennessee, is $2881. plus tax.

Thanks for all the info everybody,

Buddy
Old 06-05-2008, 03:12 AM   #9
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
We have a 16' x 45' all metal cover and it is wide enough to open the sides. I have to make sure I park it exactly in the center in order to open the slides and only have a few inches of clearance on each side. A wider cover would be nice, but we do get snow here. The wider the cover, the stronger it has to be constructed to withstand the snow load and I already have $5,000 in this one.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #10
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
WOW Buddy and nailbender are getting a great deal. I priced one here in Oklahoma 32' long and the cost was right at $10,000 last year.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:35 AM   #11
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
It cost me $3,500 for the material and I put it up by myself, easy but you will need some help from a buddy. Versa Tube is the manufature of mine, I went 8' down on the south side to protect from the sun. Not sure how they hold up to the snow load you might have.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We also had a 18'x36' 14' high which we park our first 30' 5th wheel under then went to the Cambridge and we could open all slides. If I remember correctly the 18'x36' cost $3,600 installed by North Carolina Carport. The Amish buildt the 40'x50' it can be seen on our Web site. The cost was $9,500 for everything ours has Steel arches and is very well buildt, I hope in the future we can have it inclosed. Our building is call a Pole barn or Hay barn. The steel roof is guaranteed for 40 years, they did a wonderful job. Good Luck.. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have a 20' X 40' slab with a 15' tall side. This is a metal roof only. It is a pole barn without sides. The total package including 50 amp power, septic tank and water came to under $7,000. I put a 3' strip of metal slag gravel along the sides to serve as splash control.

Since we full time, having sides is undesirable. If I were doing it today, I would make it 30' by 45'. The extra 10' width would be to better accommodate parking for the truck. As it is, we have the "patio" under cover, so if I want to pull the truck in, I have to make room for it by clearing away the outside living area.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #14
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I have just priced an 16x40x14ft high carport for our Monty. no sides but the roof comes down on the sides about 2 feet. It will be right around $3100 installed. That is the price here in Western NY. I do not need it any wider, as it will be just used for winter storage. I am planning on tarping the sides for now and later I will start to enclose 3 sides.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #15
jars
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1529
We have a 36' x 52 pole barn 16' at eves so we could put in a 14' roll up door you need 12' 9'' for a Montana so you have to have enough clearence.

Jars
Richard E. Smith
jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:08 AM   #16
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
I have decided to change my building size from having 12' sides to having 13' tall side walls. This will give me 15' at the building peak, and should give me 1' of clearance at the top, above the air conditioner, even if I parked the Monty all the way as close as I could get it to the sides of the building (which I won't do). Also, I am going to have the metal extend down the sides from the top 4' for additional protection and building strength. BTW the price will go up slightly for the taller side walls from the $2,881 that I quoted earlier. I'm not sure exactly how much it will be, but it won't be much.

Thanks for all the good info everyone gave on this.