Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
debstu

M.O.C. #8000
New to Site

HII just found this site while I was searching for an answer to a Montana leaking problem.
We have a 2007 3400RL and a 2001 F250 Diesel club cab. We r in Wa state right now while my husband is working construction. We recently lived in Iowa for 2 years... prior we lived in WA state since 1990.....Our plan is south(Mexico or AZ) for 5 or 6 months then back to Wa. were our 2 year old grandson lives.
We r enjoying our Montana, but we r having a slide leak problem, otherwise it is great....Could use an outside closet to dry his rain gear in. They should design something like what u can put your boots on to dry them. It is hard to find a place to put wet coats.....Deb & Stu ....Westport Wa

debstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
First a BIG WELCOME. As you look around and do some searches you will find a wealth of information. There are also a number of members who are handy and have made some modification (sorry, no rain closet outside that I know about).
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
debstu,

Welcome Deb and Stu. Glad you found the MOC.

Sure wish you didn't have the slide leak..... especially since you're in WA! That is and has been one wet place this season!

It may be a slide gasket that is curled the wrong way or perhaps a slide in need of some adjustment.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:22 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Welcome and I hope you get your leak fixed. Some have had problems with the long slide leaking. When it is out look on top a see if the rubber gasket meets the slide. Sometimes that long slide bows in the middle and there will be a gap that will let water in. On some units the tape that covers the screws does not stick good and water gets under it allowing water into the slide. This can happen on all slides.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Welcome to MOC debtu. Maybe we can give you a little assistence here on what to look for. As I have a different model than you do, I will only tell you what I have found on my model which is a 2955, Some of the things are mentioned in previous post. (1) I found that the rubber around the slides was kind of bunched up when you extend the slides. Go to a camper dealer and get some slide lub for the rubber and spray it on generiously. (2) There are also side lubes for all of the metal parts underneath. Wouldn't hurt to get a spray can of that and lube the underneath side of things while you are at it. Gears, rails, etc.
(3) Before you go to the camper dealer, get a ladder and put it up on the camper slides with them extended and check the roofs of the slides. There is a tape strip up there that sometimes curls up from the weather. There is a couple of things you can do if you find this to be the case. Buy new tape that has the super stickum on it and tape over the old or take the old tape off and replace it with NEW. If you do this, clean before replacing with alcohol, acetone, or paint thinner. (4) They also have a white sort of rubbery caulk in a tube at most camper dealers. If things are not to bad, You can smear a little of that on , but clean it first. Hope this helps. Another Iowan.....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Hi Deb and Stu...Welcome to the group!
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:37 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
So glad you joined us. It is a fun and helpful group of nice folk. If I were leaking, I would first check to see if all the seals and gaskets looked as if the were fitting right. I would pull them in and run them out one at a time and see how the seals were deploying, i.e., the top flap should be over the flap that runs down the side. I would also make sure that the slides were fully extended to try to ensure the inside.seals were tight.

I noticed that on one of my outside gaskets (the outside flap)that it had part of it turned under rather than completely out. I simply reached over and straightened it, but that looked like a small place where water could seep under the flap. In heavy weather, that could end up being a big leak.

When you find the answer, please post. There are a lot of 3400 and Big Sky 340 units with your slide configuration.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote