Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
LP tanks

Has anyone changed tank sizes?

I just picked up 2 new 40# and I'm thinking of changing them with the 30# in the rig.

Just a thought if it doesn't work then I'll continue to use them for grillin at home.

Chuck

lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Chuck,

I wish I lived near you. Man with those size tanks you must do a LOT of BBQing!

Have you checked out the new "see through" tanks? You can actually see the amount of fuel left in the tank. Pretty cool.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wo- see through? What are them made out of?

I wasn't aware a 40 would fit, but if it does, nothing wrong with that.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:38 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Couple of things I can see as possible problems going to 40#. First, just not sure you will have clearance and second, if you do, not sure the existing hoses will reach that extra height to the tank valves. Maybe...

Brad, there was a thread with a picture a while back. Might try a search - maybe in archives...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:30 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've thought about 40# tanks for some time because I had them in a 40 ft Kountry Air fifth wheel we had back in '82. They are nice. But there is a problem getting them into my existing Montana because there just isn't enough clearance. If I could get them in, I would have to raise the regulator and that requires additional piping. In my opinion, it's not worth the hassle.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:30 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
If you can get those twin 40's mounted. You will Love the extra capacity. When you use the heating system in cold weather it will suck up a lot of Propane. The coldest weater we were in was when we were full timing and in Tennessee just one winter, about every three days had to replace one tank. Most who stay in one place will have a 100 lb tank. You can get those at Lowes. Good Luck. GBY...

P.S. We are going South this year.........
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Found the see through tanks, pretty cool. Wierd I found them on a boat parts website, given propane systems aren't allowed on an enclosed boat.

Remember if you change the hoses to reach the 40 gal tanks, use the same safety hose type you have now. There are flow restrictors in the pigtail hoses as well as in the valves on the newer rigs.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
This site shows 20 lb bottles, http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?item_id=26294 .. This site shows 33 lb bottles but they claim they are for forklift use only as they work only in a Horizontal. But the dimensions will fit easily in the existing 30 lb space. Prices vary drastically. http://www.lpgastanks.com/propane-tanks/lc33 . I have found many sites that sell these but some of the prices are ridiculous. I can buy a 30 lb for less than 100$ but the cheapest I can find a 33 transparent is 320$. For now I will stick with my steel jugs... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Brad,

Sorry I didn't post a link before. Here's one.

See Through LP Tanks

A forty pound tank can be made to fit but as some have said.... Probably more work than they are worth. And that much heavier for us OLD guys.

Travel Safely,

Dennis

PS... Dave those 33#s would be just the ticket for the RV. Too bad it won't work in the 5th wheel.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
HamRad (Dennis) I'm going to see this afternoon if they will fit.

As for grillin no problem as we went thru 6 40#ers over the 4th. We were steaming fresh sweet corn. I think our total count was somewhere around 600 dozen. What a party.

That doesn't even count using the grill thru out the year.

As for livin next to us that's a major move, but there's always the occasional visit.

Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:19 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
That is one heck of a party lwcdg! Might be worth getting an ASME horizontal tank mounted to your truck bed for that kind of consumption .

Thanks for the pics Dennis. I wonder if any of the RV manufacturers are starting to use them?

Dave, the horizontal 33# have a side draft tube and must be more unique, causing the price to go up. I did have a pop-up pickup camper that used one of those in a 20# years ago, and the Dealer told me to make sure I never traded off or exchanged the tank for a regular one, because they were expensive and hard to find. If you try to use one in an upright position, you get liquid instead of gas.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Chuck,

I'm with Brad on this one. That must have been one heckva party! I love fresh corn! Wow! Just another reason Chuck for me to start planning for the move now! Well at least a visit.

I hope the tanks fit. Having the extra few gallons would certainly be nice.

Dennis