Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2023, 09:07 AM   #1
TenOC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28210
Bedroom cable slide is jerking

2014 3100RL 5th wheel

Our bedroom slide is a cable slide. Recently, the slide has been jerking when moving in or out. By jerking, that is to say, the motor runs for a second and then stops for a second -- then runs again then stops. It repeats this stopping and starting until the slide is all the way in or all the way out. There is a loud clicking noise whenever the motors stops. This loud clicking or popping noise sounds is much like the noise the slide makes when it is all the way in or all the way out telling me to stop pushing the button. I first thought was there were the tooth missing on the gears that drives the cable but I cannot find any missing teeth.

It first appears the motor actually stops as if an automatic reset relay is tripping and then resetting. I cannot find any relay. I have removed the panel over the bed and attempted to adjust the cables which seem to be adjusted well.

With more investigation, the motor does not stop. But the slide stops moving. I think (?) based on the sound that there is a clutch or gear or something near the bottom of the cable that slips when the slide is fully out or fully in. This may be what is slipping and making the stopping and starting action. I don’t know where to find such an item.

Any suggestion with pictures is welcome.

TenOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 09:23 AM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Sounds like you have teeth missing in the motor gear box. Ours was doing that and it was the motor/gear box, which is enclosed so you don't see the gears.
Old 10-21-2023, 01:25 PM   #3
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
Sound like your gear box. you can look on the gearbox for part number, and can probably can find it on amazon.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote