Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
rono
Established Member

M.O.C. #6606
Question for Full timers.

We are considering selling our stick house and was wondering what do you do for a permanent address. We've been in our house since 1979. We work construction all over the country and in order to get paid per-diem, sometimes need an address with proof such as a water bill or elec. bill etc... What do some of you do?

Thanks, Ron and Dana

rono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
We have Alternative Resources , Sioux Falls, SD as our mail forwarder and our permanent address for everything, drivers license, registration and vehicle ins, medical ins, banking, and it is our permanent/main address. We even vote absentee ballot, have no ties to any other state, own no property, and have not had a problem at all. Been 1 yr on the road, July 11th. Have never had anyone ask for proof i.e. elec bill for anything.

Betty and Paul
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We also use Alternative Resources and find them to be very reliable. Like Paul and Betty, we are domiciled in South Dakota for driver's license, vehicle registration, etc.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We also use South Dakota, but use Americas Mailbox in Rapid City area. Works great for us and they send the mail when requested to whatever address you want. They just recently purchased their own land and built a new mail facility as well as a small motel and RV park so when coming to the area you can stay right there.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Since I see you evidently live in Texas, at least in the short term, you can get a membership in Escapees Club in Livingston, TX. They can set you up with a legal mailing address. Later, you can decide whether to go with the SD company. You can find out about your options at http://www.escapees.com
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
you can always use a relative's address. we use my dakota address in madison, sd. our decision was based on a couple of things. 1. no taxes. 2. lower auto/trailer insurance than we found in either florida or texas.
if you need a bill, and easy one is to just get your DISH satellite bill there...that is a utility. that is where our's goes to.
and, make sure you have all the credit cards opened before changing addresses, we had a hassel with new credit cards since I was from michigan and not SD.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We do same as Betty and Paul and the others using South Dakota.

One thing good about Alternative Resources is that Minnehaha County does not require we appear for jury duty. We need only write on the back that we are fulltime rv'ers and will not be in the area in the jury timeframe. I then get a letter back excusing me from jury duty. In eight years I have done this twice including just about a year ago.

I have heard that not all counties in South Dakota and other states will excuse you. So that is sommething to check on. You can call the voter registration area and ask. For Minnehaha County, call the County Treasurer (I think that's right).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We have been "residents" of South Dakota and users of Alternative Resources for mail since July 1, 1999- A current campground or motel receipt are required to secure auto and rv licences- Your South Dakota drivers licence must be renewed in person every 5 years- There is much to see and do in the area on the ocassions you "come home"- We have found it to be financially advantageous to be "residents"- JHMO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
DonandJudy, in 2003 all we had to have was the address provided by Alternative Resources. That got us our vehicle registrations and drivers licenses. This probably changed since 1999 when you registered. And perhaps it has changed since. Maybe someone with a newer experience than ours can tell us.

For voter registration, we did have to have an address that was not a box number type of address for the voter registration to be mailed to. There are two rv parks and one or more motels that will provide that address service for you at no charge if you leave them a stamped self-addressed envelope in which to mail your voter registration card. We only had to do that once. Alternative Resources has a list of rv parks and motels that will assist with that.

Because our vehicle insurance company did not sell in South Dakota we had to get new insurance. We drove up to Sioux Falls, stayed overnight in a motel (it was February and cold up there!). Next morning we arrived at Alternative Resources shortly after 8 a.m., got signed up with them, went across the street and got our insurance, went to the courthouse and registered our vehicles and got our drivers licenses and were on the way home by noon. It was easier than I had anticipated. The courthouse people are well aware of fulltime rv'ers and went out of their way to help us.

When we trade vehicles we handle everything online and by mail and/or phone. No need to go to SD. We pay our annual vehicle registrations online. We vote absentee.

Every five years we have to appear in SD to renew our drivers licenses. You can renew up to six months in advance. So we can both do ours at the same time. We do not have to go to Sioux Falls. We can go to the county seat of any county in South Dakota. Just check (online works) in advance to make sure the courthouse does renewals on the day you will be there. The smaller ones may do renewals only a couple of times per month.

There are no vehicle inspections to worry about. There are no intangibles taxes. There are no property taxes on vehicles. When you trade vehicles you pay a 3% excise tax on the trade difference.

I'm not suggesting South Dakota is a better choice than any other state, just trying to provide the facts as I see them. There are other more personal factors others will have to consider, as well.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Steve- we renewed our drivers licences in 09 in Minnehaha county- They required 2 receipts with a local address- We used our local campground receipt and our vehicle insurance card- Don
Old 07-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, yours is newer than ours so maybe it has changed. We last renewed in late 2007 and only had to show our drivers licenses. We may have had to show an insurance card but I can't remember.

We did a day trip from Kansas City to the southeastern most county of South Dakota. Union County, I believe it is. Town of Elk Point. So we didn't have any motel or CG receipts anyhow.

Don, I just checked the alternativeresources.net website and it is now as you said. Here's a copy/paste from their website.

"Starting January 1, 2010 when it is time to renew your SD drivers license or when you get your first SD drivers license you must stay one night in a campground or motel and show a receipt to the drivers license office. You can do this in any city in the state that issues license. You will STILL put your address at Alternative Resources on your license. This puts SD in compliance with the Federal REAL ID ACT and will allow you to board airplanes within the U.S., enter federal buildings etc. "

Apparently this is a federal requirement from Homeland Security. So this will apply to all states soon if not already.

Don, thanks for pointing this out. We would probably have gone up there late next year on a day trip and not have had the receipts.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #12
rono
Established Member

M.O.C. #6606
Thanks for all the replies. Got some good advice and will digest all of it.
Thanks, Again.
Ron and Dana
rono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
TerryClaudia
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12055
My husband Terry & I are starting to travel for up to three months at a time. My question is about our mail delivery at home. The Post office will only hold our mail for one month, then we go online and set it up for another month. The problem is you have to wait for a couple of days in between, so the email sits in our mailbox. Please let us know how you handle this matter?
TerryClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
campgal

M.O.C. #10773
When we were gone for 8 weeks, we notified our PO requesting more than 30 days and it wasn't a problem.

Campgal
campgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
rollie41
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6844
We use Escapees main service, great service and price.
rollie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We were glad to see Escapees mentioned here because as native Texans, when we return to Texas as fulltimers in June we plan to use the mail and permanent address services provided by Escapees. Before hitting the road again, we'll be based as camp hosts in Matagorda for at least 6 months and plan to "replant" our Texas roots as quickly and deeply as possible!

Carolyn & Wayne
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:47 AM   #17
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Steve- Next time you must go to South Dakota, take some time to be a tourist and visit the Sioux River Falls park in Sioux Falls- In the spring when the river is up, the sight is awesome- There are some ruins there also and an old water powered electricity generation building- An easy view of "the good old days"- We make it a must see whenever we are there- Actually, I grew up in Sioux Falls so I have "roots" there- Keep on keeping on- JMHO- Don
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #18
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We cannot say enough good things about Alternative Resources! Great folks to work with and absolutely reliable. Check out their website.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #19
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Agree on the Alternative Resources. Good people to work with and very punctual. They know there business well!!!
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've been using Escapees Mail Service for 12 years now and have never had any problems. We like the personal service we get.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote