Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
Sharon Williamson
Established Member

M.O.C. #2135
Chipping

What are your thoughts on chipping a 2006 F250 Powerstroke Diesel? Are the chips helpful? We are very new at owning a diesel and any thoughts and opinions would be welcomed.

The truck came with a Quadzilla (in the box, not installed). Previous owner thought he would use it on his next truck (Ford F350 dually), but it wasn't the correct model, so he gave it to us. We have not reinstalled it yet.

Thanks for any responses.

Sharon Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I guess it depends on the mileage and if you have any warranty left on the 2006. If you are past the warranty, it's your truck and you can do what you want with it! If you still have some warranty left from the previous owner's then if you chipit- it voids the warranty left. My nephew has a 2000 that he chipped and also put propane or LP injection on. It has over 100,000 on it so no problem on the warranty. He says it gives him more power than he needs but it also uses more fuel too! I own a 2007 Chevy Duramax and it won't get chipped until it's over the warranty, IF it gets that far for me before I get the "new truck bug"!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
I run a chip on my Dodge (for power, not mileage)

Before you install a chip, you MUST have gauges to make sure you're not hurting anything. At minimum, you need to keep an eye on your Exhaust temps (Never go over 1400 degrees, and only into the 1300's for short periods) and transmission temps. I'm not as familiar with the powerstrokes as I am the Cummins, but I also watch my fuel pressure (never below 7 PSI) and boost pressures (Never above 40, but I cheat a bit once in a while)
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
"We have not reinstalled it yet."

Many people have the same feeling about not wanting to void the warranty with the installation of a programmer. You mentioned "reinstall", so if the programmer was previously installed on this truck, you are beyond that point already as a programmer installed and used leaves a "footprint" or evidence in the computer of its existence. Having a DuraMax with a 100,000 mile warranty, I choose not to mess with one. Plus I've been pleased with it's performance as is. Enjoy your new wheels.

Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are plenty of points of view on the subject. personally I would not do it while still in warranty on the chance that Ford would void the warranty ( you never know) and.. We do not need any more power to pull this 3400
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Warranty or not, No chipping or reprograming needed for my Duramax.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Are you currently having issues with not enough power? I have a 2006 F-350 SRW 4x4 and have all the power I wound ever need. We pull all the passes in the Pacific North West and have never lacked power. The 6.0L engines had problems in the first generation of the engine, but late 2005 the got most of the bugs worked out and the 2006 was a good engine for the most part. If it were me I wouldn't do it because I don't need it and do not want to void my warranty.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
Sharon Williamson
Established Member

M.O.C. #2135
Thanks for the info. We did have to take it into the Ford dealer to have the ERG (EGR?) valve replaced and they asked if we had a chip in it. Hubby told them he didn't know, we just bought it. They reset the computer and covered the repair under warranty. Warranty has since run out. We aren't towing yet. Truck was step one of three step plan to full-time. We don't drive it much. We're lucky enough to be able to store it away for the winter.

Richfaa, we met you at the Toledo RV show few years ago when you bought your rig. Glad to see you & Helen are enjoying that Montana.
Sharon Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'm kinda with everybody else - not sure why you would want to chip it. Gain versus risk doesn't add up. Its not just that Ford will jerk the warranty, the reason they do is because of what the chip can do to the engine.

I've got the 6.0 and just leave it alone. I treat it good and it has treated me good -
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes Sharon we remember. Good to see that you are going to realize your dream also.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I have a chip in this truck (2004.5) and had one in my last truck (2001). I would do it again. I had the 2004.5 in for warranty work 2 times and there was NO problems. BTW: The people that brought my 2001 called me up and wanted to know how to "juice it down". I have NEVER had a vehicle with too much power. If there is too much power I have found you can use lower pressure on you right foot.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I've never been one to believe all programmers leave a "footprint" in the computer. Some never reprogram the computer, but merely change the perimeters to gain performance. However, with the current situation in Detroit, there is no way I would chip an engine. There are certain tell tale signs of engine damage that can point to a chip. Plus, GM fixed the computer where it would show the last date it was reflashed. If they didn't do it, guess what, voided warranty. And even as near bankruptcy as they are, their pockets are still a lot deeper than mine.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
bigmurf, you don't say what brand of truck you have chipped.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #14
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

bigmurf, you don't say what brand of truck you have chipped.
Dodge,
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
When my absolutely dead stock 2004 6.0L Ford ate two pistons, Ford replaced the engine (dealer estimate $13k) and then subsequently replaced the entire truck with a brand new 2008 6.4L. Two other MOC folks (who will remain nameless unless they speak up) had 2005 and later engines let go. Because they were chipped, they got to buy an engine all by themselves.

IMHO, the 6.0L motor has plenty of power and is close to its maximum performance (vs reliability) as delivered. There is no way I would chip it or any other engine in this current environment. But there are a lot of folks out there running chips.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

There are plenty of points of view on the subject. personally I would not do it while still in warranty on the chance that Ford would void the warranty ( you never know) and.. We do not need any more power to pull this 3400
Ditto with my Chevy.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is a "guy thing" isn't it? No matter what the motor some of us, Myself included, in my younger years, had to make it go faster, develop more power, sound better.When un leaded came out we cut out the filler cap to accept the "leaded" when the Cat converters came out we cut them off and trash canned them. Then they would make a better motor and we would start all over again.We just need to squeeze out a few more HP ..a bit more torque..get away from the light or up the hill faster than the other guy. Wish I had all the $ I spent on that good stuff back. It's a guy thing...
Old 04-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #18
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
As you can see, many different opinions on this subject. I have a chip in a 2001 7.3 F-250, a hypertek, which has 3 settings with 3 giving the engine the most power. I don't drive the truck hard and have pulled the Monty once in 2 and once in 3. The towing is so much more enjoyable to me with the added power. Both times I was in a area with a lot of hills. I think my mileage increased 2 mpg while towing but not sure it increased when not towing. I have read many of the same posts, you need a gauge for the EGT, boost and tranny temperature to be safe. I have reprogrammed mine down to 2 from 3. I feel safe with it at this setting.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:38 AM   #19
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
On the warranty, the chip (or any other modification) has to be the cause for the failure for them to void the warranty. Your warranty can not just be voided because you have have/use one. You hear the same thing about BioDiesel. Use it and they will void your warranty. I got news for you, distributors are adding Bio to Diesel everyday. Some are because of local laws requiring a usage of renewable fuel sources. Again it has to be proved that the Bio caused the damage/failure before the warranty work can be denied. Typically, in the example of Bio, the failure is in the fuel system. Guess what you drop an injector it does not matter if you are burning Bio or not, if they say it is the fuel you will pay for the repair. Remember Warranty work is on their nickel. Out of warranty work is on yours.

As for the programmer/chip, I have a programmer installed on my 2001 7.3L. I installed the programmer back in 2005 long before we bought our first 5th wheel. My mileage logs showed a 8% improvement with the addition of the programmer. The additional power is very noticeable. It has been 75k+ miles since installed and not a lick of trouble. (I also burn BioDiesel in the summer months again with no problems). Personally I like having the extra power. When I do have to get out in the passing lane I am not having to push the truck to give everything it has to get around the slower vehicle and get back to the right lane.

My next door neighbor has a 2006 F350 SRW 4x4. He is a contractor and pulls a 24' flatbed all week and then a 30' Toybox on the weekend for motorcycle racing. He burns 3/4 to a full tank of fuel a day. When fuel hit $4+/gal it was killing him. He had the intake, programmer & exhaust done. He "claims" he saw a increase of 10%~12% in fuel economy. (But he does not keep detailed fuel logs so we can not put pencil to paper to verify exact improvement, but his mileage has improved).

Bottom line is you have to do what you are comfortable with. We each have different comfort levels. That is evident in the wide range of tow vehicles used to pull the same or similar 5th wheels.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:00 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If we Had a weaker or older truck we might do it. All most of us are saying is that while in warranty we do not feel justified to take the chance . The burden of proof is on the consumer on what may have caused the failure if it is rejected. I know that when I took my 08 in for a flash and they saw the after market guage on the truck they wanted to know if it " was chipped" When they understood what the guage was for and after they "looked " at the truck they verified that it was not chipped and so noted it. That dealers marching orders from FOMOCO was..if it is chipped the warranty is voided. When there is a high dollar warranty issue the manufacturer is all over it and will reject the claim if there is the slightest suspicion that it is chipped. After warranty...different set of rules. It is on us,,unless we have a Extended warranty.