Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
Waste Water Chemical

I am wondering if anyone out there uses Break-Up Plus in their waste water tanks ??? I have been using it for about three years (I am mostly a weekender) and it does a very good job of breaking up waste in the black water tank--it also has a very pleasant smell-- I am including their web site and I have no dealings with the company except to purchase their product.
www.conservationchemistry.com

gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I've never heard of them. Thanks for the link. I need to check it out. When we lived in the lower 48, we'd place our order from Camping World for all the necessary goodies. Bernie went to place an order at Camping World the other day for toilet paper, black tank chems, laundry detergent. Nothing fancy. Shipping to Alaska was $63.00. Just for shipping. I am determined to get around the shipping prices. I've done it on other things for several years we've been here, and I will succeed again! Thanks for the information, I'm gonna go check them out!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Icehouse

I've never heard of them. Thanks for the link. I need to check it out. When we lived in the lower 48, we'd place our order from Camping World for all the necessary goodies. Bernie went to place an order at Camping World the other day for toilet paper, black tank chems, laundry detergent. Nothing fancy. Shipping to Alaska was $63.00. Just for shipping. I am determined to get around the shipping prices. I've done it on other things for several years we've been here, and I will succeed again! Thanks for the information, I'm gonna go check them out!
Tammy
Tammy,
There's no need to purchase the toilet paper from Camping World. We've used Angel Soft 2-ply for over seven years of full timing with no problems. You can tell whether a toilet paper will work in your black water tank by taking a sheet and putting it in a glass of water. If it breaks up when you swish it around, it's good for the black water tank. That'll save you some shipping charges.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Awesome! I'm an Angel Soft fan. I just added it to my Walmart list! Thanks Ols. Now, if Walmart in Alaska just had their RV goodies out year round, I'd be set. Looks like in the summer time when the shelves are full, I'll stock up on everything!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Any toilet paper that is marked "septic tank safe" will work in RV's. I have also tested RV paper and septic tank safe paper as Orv suggested, and could not see any difference between the two. We usually buy ours from Costco, much cheaper.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Be very careful of labels purporting to be safe for septic systems.

A search for septic toilet paper will yield many results.

This is one of them

The water test mentioned above seems to be a good test.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nailbender

Any toilet paper that is marked "septic tank safe" will work in RV's. I have also tested RV paper and septic tank safe paper as Orv suggested, and could not see any difference between the two. We usually buy ours from Costco, much cheaper.
Don,what brand do you purchase from Costco?
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:48 AM   #8
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Angel Soft also.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Jack, We get Costco's Kirkland brand. The label says "suitable for all normal sewer and septic systems".
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
I intended to gleen some info from this post concerning waste water treatments and who is using what I use or other ideas and opinions about the subject but it looks like this post turned into a chat session on toilet paper. I see this happen a lot on the forum and I wish that everyone would stick to the subject posted. Maybe I don't understand the concept so I think I will fall back to the silent majority and just read the posts that interest me.
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nailbender

Jack, We get Costco's Kirkland brand. The label says "suitable for all normal sewer and septic systems".
Thanks nailbender,Iam always looking for something to buy at Cosco's.LOL
Old 01-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
gpats, I agree with your last statement about off topic. I have started using a product called "happy campers" you c an find info on www.1-happycampers.com. Hope this might help some. We have just started using it this week. It is bacteria based instead of enzyme based. We will see over the next few months if it works bettr or worse.

WEB SITE: www.1-happycamper.com

Sorry about that!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Phil-- keep us informed on the results of your test on the new product! I'd be interested in what you come up with! Also your www.-- site would not open. Did you leave something out?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #14
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Phil-- keep us informed on the results of your test on the new product! I'd be interested in what you come up with! Also your www.-- site would not open. Did you leave something out?
Here ya Go Ron!
http://www.5starhappycamper.com/index.html
Old 01-29-2008, 04:19 AM   #15
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have been using Pure Power for the last two years and it it a Bacteria-Enzyme based product. It has been doing a great job for me and you only use 2 oz. per 40 gallons.

www.opproducts.com
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OK, question enzyme/chemical users:

If you are sitting on a full hookup site, how long is it before you need to dump your black tank?? If less than 4 days, does that really give these enzymes/chemicals a chance to work/brew??

Our experience has been that unless we are sitting in a boondocking situation, or in a campground that does not offer full hookups where we will be for 1 to 2 weeks, that we are just wasting chemicals/money/enviornment/etc if we use any chemicals.

Simplified: 4 days or less, why bother with chemicals/enzymes?? Actually, even less than 7 days, why??

Gotta say, again, our experience has been, More water, Less paper, and a bit of Calgon, except in extreme heat, when we have no access to a dump, has worked fine for us for over 20 years, and not once have we had a toilet plugged.

I am not closed minded on this, so, educate me please.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Today when I picked up Hanna from the RV hospital, I talked with the lead technician. He said to use Cascade Liquid. Just a couple cap fulls in about a 1/3 to 1/2 tank of water. Run on down the road 50+ miles or until you get to your next CG, then empty. It will clean the tank (grey or black) Be careful of soapy products as the suds could get you in trouble if you over do it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:51 AM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Wayne,

Gotta say, never heard of using Cascade before, but, seems logical that it would work.

However, I gotta say that Al and I are very reluctant to pull Tana with that much water in any of the waste or fresh water tanks. After the number of reports here on MOC of tanks leaking, etc. We have decided we would like to postpone any repair/replacement of tanks by running with as little in there as possible. Personal choice, eh???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:32 AM   #19
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
gpats,
I don't think this really got off topic when discussing TP. I believe, (MHO) that what everyone was saying is regardless of the chemical or no chemical in use, the health of your black tank depends on the amount of water used and the brand of TP. We have also found that companies "improve" the TP and sometimes change it for the worst instead of best and we have to change brands.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I agree with Sue 100%..Water, Water, Water and more water.. Here in our winter site(in Florida) we dump our black and shower tanks every two days. the galley tank when in comes up through the sink drain. We use NO chemicals of any kind. When we do use a chemical it is the Enzyme based products. Carol the products like Rid-X designed for home septic system will not work short time because they are not designed to. The Enzyme products designed for Rv's are very fast acting and do work.we will use the enzyme product when we can leave the tanks full for like several hours for a really good flush and clean.Also the calgon or actually any like product will help as it makes the tanks slippery..we use it in all tanks. The slosh soap, any brand, in the tanks for a short trip also help. You do not need much, just a few gallons. Also be very aware of the TP and do use the dissolve in water test no matter what the label says. For the black tank water is the most important element.It is hard to do at times because of boondocking ect...but it is the most important element. This is s good learning thread.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote