Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2006, 09:43 AM   #1
Montana_5138

M.O.C. #5138
What does your checklist look like?

Hello everyone,
We're sitting here in sometimes cold -- sometimes not -- Ontario!!!
Waiting for the delivery of the new 3475 ... we're hoping six more weeks ...

However, while we wait we're reading about all of the things that need to be done ... when you arrive at the campsite, before you leave, etc. People have mentioned that they have checklists, and I wonder, what do your checklists look like? what kinds of things need to be done? do you divide duties between outside & inside?? make arrangements to double check the other persons preparations?

Care to share?

Trudi & Len
Guelph, Ontario,
Canada

Montana_5138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lenn Ostler

Hello everyone,
We're sitting here in sometimes cold -- sometimes not -- Ontario!!!
Waiting for the delivery of the new 3475 ... we're hoping six more weeks ...

However, while we wait we're reading about all of the things that need to be done ... when you arrive at the campsite, before you leave, etc. People have mentioned that they have checklists, and I wonder, what do your checklists look like? what kinds of things need to be done? do you divide duties between outside & inside?? make arrangements to double check the other persons preparations?

Care to share?

Trudi & Len
Guelph, Ontario,
Canada
Len,
Here are a few links to checklists from the MOC archives:
http://montanaadministrator.forumco....+checklist.asp
If you select SEARCH you can go back to the archives.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Len, 315RLS has some great links for you. Paste the entire line through "...asp"
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Trudi and Len
Isn't the waiting awful? I took the standard check list and after a few times in the Monty and pulling from previous 5ers, developed our own. I put it on an Excel spreadsheet and modified it to go into my IPAQ Pocket PC. Ed has outside duties and I have inside. Then we check each other. In almost 15 years of RVing weve never had a major problem. Only two small boo-boos and that was because the unit was still new to us and we weren't use to the unique features. So it also depends on your particular model what you will need to look for. You will know fairly quickly what you need to do. Some of us probably overdo it like velcoing the cabinet doors together but I'm not so worried about the doors coming open as I am the contents within shifting and pushing the cabinet door open. All the little things don't take long to do but you have peace of mind.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
There are at least two kinds of checklists which have been extensively discussed on the forum: 1> the checklist for new purchase, and 2> checklist for setting up to leave an RV park. The following have to do with number 2 above:

I use a full sized 8.5 X 10 sheet of paper which I keep in the Montana. One side is the checklist and the other is my travel log. If you want to take a look:

http://dwilliamson.com/rvcheck.pdf
http://dwilliamson.com/rvlog.pdf
http://dwilliamson.com/rvlogex.pdf

And here is the actual EXCEL worksheet with the checklist on sheet 1 and the log on sheet 2 which I print front and back. I have modified this list several times, and this is easily done using any spreadsheet program. I use the checklist for "take off" not for "landing" becasue I never seem to have trouble setting up. It's when I am about to 'hit the road' that I need the checklist.
http://dwilliamson.com/RVchecklist.xls

[This is just an example; it is not my latest revision of the checklist.]
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
Montana_5138

M.O.C. #5138
Thanks David, that "take off" checklist was exactly what we were looking for. It's a little scary that we never considered we would need a PDI checklist!!! Man are we naive! We had thought of taking a more knowledgeable friend with us for pickup, but never dreamed of all the things we'd have to check out!! Hadn't dreamed of staying overnight right at the dealer either ... hopefully we won't have to, it's right beside a major multi-lane highway!

Thanks for all of the replies -- i've saved the spreadsheet, but were certainly interested in other "take off" checklists ... especially from those with a 3475.

Lenn and Trudi
Montana_5138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Lenn, you're not naive, by any stretch of the imagination.

There's a saying, "You don't know what you don't know." If someone has never been exposed to the MOC, how would they ever know what they didn't know. This is an enlightening experience, reading through this forum. Now you know what you didn't know... although, don't let what you think you know from confusing you into thinking that you know what you STILL do not know.

In other words, don't stop learning from this MOC forum, even when you think you've got everything figured out. You'd be surprised what you still do not know.

In other words... oh, never mind... my brain hurts.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #8
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Trudi and Len, Welcome to the MOC. I would offer don't sign off on your coach until everthing works as a PDI checklist suggest. The dealer will repair items much faster to complete the sale. Good luck.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:50 AM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
David and Shirley, Thanks for those great lists. I had my own but yours are so much better , I ran off some copies and they are going in the Montana. Thanks again and good job, Don
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:52 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Our list is inside a plastic sheet cover. We use a grease pencil to check off, then wipe off for the next use. Our reason for not laminating is that we can make any changes we need and just slip the new one in. Happy RVing...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote