Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
Marathon Tires

I joined this group a couple of weeks ago since I have a 3400RL on order. Since then I have did a lot of reading here and elsewhere on the net about the ST235/80R16, E rated Marathon tires that Montana started using about a year ago. I needed to decide whether they should be immediately replaced or not. As a result I do not believe that I have read about a failure or blowout that has happened during that year on a Montana 5th wheel. Having said that I am not defending a China built tire just trying to determine that facts. Based on the very good deal I got from the dealer I am not going to get any financial help from them for new tires and their Montana rep. stated he did not know of any Marathon problems. So I will have to bear the entire expense, which I am willing to do, if I determine it is necessary. For 5 G rated tires (7000 lbs axles required 3500 Lb rated tires) this is a $1550 decision that I am making. My question to this group is, Do you know of any ST235/80R16E failures that have taken place since Montana started using these tires? Based on the facts that I know at this time I plan to leave the Marathons on and add a TPMS to hopefully minimize any damage from a failure should one occur. Thank you for your responses and all the good things I have learned about Montanas and Keystone from you in the last 2 weeks.

RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Marathon's are made by Goodyear. I haven't heard of any problems with the 16 in. I had many problems with the 15 in Marathons tho. It is the Mission tires that have been being replaced.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Be careful when mentioning Chinese-built tires because SO MANY brand tires are made in China and don't have problems and even include MAJOR brands. That said, many Montana owners have had to replace "Mission" tires I believe are made in China. I suspect while the tires might be designed to their specifications their manufacturing process is problematic and not monitored very well in comparison to the Major brands made in China.

I have only heard two specific posts by members that said they either had or heard of a problem with Goodyear Marathons. I don't know what size, but I wouldn't consider that real bad. Many of us are very happy to hear that Marathons are being delivered with Montanas!

In comparison, there are dozens of complaints about Missions problems or potential problem that were noticed prior to failure. The Mission brand has experienced bad stories from SOB 5er forums as well. I have heard some complaints and some praises for the Freestar brand (Made in China?).

Our forum expert on tires is LonnieB who operates a Tire Shop in central New Mexico. I am sure he'll have better stories and facts to provide and hope he can concur about the Marathons.

Just remember to maintain tires religiously by monitoring air pressure (TPMS helps), checking 5er weight including front, back and side to side measurements at the scales and treating the tires with the best care while driving (no curb rubbing or jumping, and keeping under the speed rating of the tire - typically 65mph max.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Many rv's come with Goodyear Marathon tires and have for many years. Our then new 1999 Jayco Eagle came with them. Our prior used FW also had them. Our 2001 Montana came with them, too, as did our 2003 Montana. I have to say I have blown several of them and would not put them on my rig ever again. However, if the rig came with them, then I'd use them until they prove to me I should get rid of them. We never had any damage from any of the blowouts although I know several people who have. It's possible Goodyear has corrected whatever caused the problems we used to have with those tires.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Re tire failures...there are many threads and posts from those who have experienced a tire failure. The nature of our forum is that we report problem areas and ask for help or suggestions. What we do not have are people making posts saying their refrig/air cond/heater/tires, etc have worked fine. My point is that although there have been a number of posts regarding tires, we don't really know the "rest of the story"...how many have Chinese tires that have many trouble free miles on them.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
After having a Marathon blowout on the middle of the Benecia bridge and another two developing sidewall bubbles, all with less that 3000 miles on them, I decided to never again use Marathons.

I went with Michelin Ribs.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I agree with Art, not all Chinese tires are junk. There are actually some very good tires coming out of China. I don't sell the Marathon, so I haven't had much experience with them other than to replace a few worn out ones with something else. I would recommend doing as sreigle suggested, use them until they prove you should get rid of them.

Quote:
quote:Our forum expert on tires is LonnieB who operates a Tire Shop in central New Mexico. I am sure he'll have better stories and facts to provide and hope he can concur about the Marathons.
Just for clarification purposes, I am not the only tire "expert" on this forum, Glenn has been in the tire business many more years than I. My tire shop isn't in central New Mexico. It is on the west side of the Texas panhandle about 200 feet from the New Mexico state line. I live in New Mexico, 9 miles north of Texico, New Mexico and I was born in central New Mexico.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Oops, sorry LonnieB. I meant to type "One" not "Our" when mentioning your name as a tire person. Glenn, of "Glenn and Lorraine" was a tire man by trade.

And Texico, New Mexico is in EAST central New Mexico outside Clovis. I originally had the city name there but removed it to not be so detailed and should have removed the "central". I drove through that area years ago when traveling from Albuquerque, NM to Lubbock, TX via Clovis, NM but it was dark so I didn't see much.

To get back on track, Marathons, like many other brands are good to start with, but regardless, do NOT ignore maintenance and care of driving on your tires. Mistreatment of the rubber feet on our rigs will shorten the life of any tire.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:39 AM   #9
trfield58
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7109
Can't remember if I posted about our Marathon blowout this past spring? Anyhow, we were headed back to Syracuse NY from Myrtle Beach in April, (2 day trip for us) and had a blowout 15 miles from home. The tire ripped away sheet metal, fiberglass etc. Not a very fun expieience to say the least. I checked the air pressure in all the tires in the am on both days and everything was good. Now, there is no way for me to know if I picked up a nail or something in that tire and it was low on air pressure prior to blowing (that's where the pressure monitor systems really shine) We have a 2008 3605 and the tires had about 2500 miles on them at the time of the blowout. I decided to just replace the bad tire and got it online from tirerack.com for about $105. Can't say I'm not a little paranoid about the tires now though???

Tim
trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
Thanks to all for your input. Prior to Tim's post as of today I have decided to add a TPMS (arrived yesterday and installed on the TV) and take a wait and see attitude on the Marathons. I will definitely be watching them close. I got a call today that the 3400RL is on it way from Goshen to the dealer and will arrive this evening. Since the dealer is 250 miles away we will spend most of next week close by the dealer doing the PDI and then living in the unit several days before heading home.
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good luck, Ron & Diana, and congratulations on the new rig. Your excitement comes through loud and clear. We're excited for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote