Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
jaleepadgett
Established Member

M.O.C. #8402
Direct TV turned down for waiver

OK, I bought a receiver (for my Monty) and was attempting to get a DTV waiver where I could get east and west coast network channels when I travel with the Monty and I just received my broadcast waiver denial from all of my local carriers. How do I get this done. I have been a dtv customer for over 13 years and these guys are very frustrating to work with. I will not talk about their wire butchers that showed up at my stick house for my install when we moved.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
James

jaleepadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
To get the E/W feeds from DTV, there is a form you get from DTV, it can be downloaded. You need to fill out the form, and send it, along with a copy or your RV registration, back to DTV. The DISTANT NETWORK STATIONS can be received on the receiver used in the RV by registering it in the RV. If this isn't clear, you can call DTV and ask for the group that provides the DNS waivers for RV's. Hope this helps. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I think if you have DTV at your stick house and you get regular BC you might have to get a seperat account for the RV, and not be conected to the stick house account. for them to aprove the east/west broadcast for the trailer. I have Dish and for me to receive reg BC I would have to call from the area I'm at and have them reprogram my receiver with the local carrier for that area, it was to much phone and work so now I'll use the bat wing or cable for local broadcast and the dish for all the good stuff.
You can thank the FCC for those new rules, anything over 250 miles from your local BC area can not be seen.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
There are many who just take the receiver from their stick house along with an extra satellite dish with their RV. It only takes a matter of a couple of minutes to set up no matter where you are. However, what DirecTV told me directly (no pun intended) is that this is illegal. So you do as you wish.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
jaleepadgett
Established Member

M.O.C. #8402
Thanks for the feedback, One more question, will my stick house receiver work anywhere?? will I get my local channels if I am hooked up 300 miles away from my home?
Thanks
James
jaleepadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
You will get everything but your local channels, they are spot beamed. Have used my system as far as 1500 miles from our stick house. Jim
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The stick house receiver will work anywhere as long as you can see the satellite.. This will tell you where the satellite is from your position.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp

Directv will tell you it is illegal..if you ask them..so don't ask them.

You will not get your local channels if you are out of your local spot beam. I will not discuss the local channel issue.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
So...depends on your local channel feed. Mine is East Coast so I get ALL mine while traveling any distance.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

There are many who just take the receiver from their stick house along with an extra satellite dish with their RV. It only takes a matter of a couple of minutes to set up no matter where you are. However, what DirecTV told me directly (no pun intended) is that this is illegal. So you do as you wish.

Orv
Thats why I have the other satelite company.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:15 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been unable thus far to find any FCC regulation/law regarding where the sat receiver can be located or any regulation on moving the receiver from place to place. The only "rule" we know of is a Directtv rule, and that depends on who you talk to at directtv, If anyone can point to the FCC regulation that prohibits moving the sat receiver please post the location.FCC is the regulatory agency for Sat tv..not directtv, dish or any company. The satellites are located in space and as long as you have a receiver and dish and can "see" the satellite you will receive the signal. The more North you go The lower the elevation of the dish and at some point it would be pointed at the ground.Example the elevation for the dish here near Orlanda, Fl is 51 degrees..in Nome Alaska it is 5.8 degrees. If at the equator I guess it would be pointed stright up as that is where the satellites are.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 AM   #11
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
When we had Direct TV installed in our stick house, we were sold a portable dish by the installer for our rv. He didn't say if it was legal or not, but he didn't refuse my money.
We usually take it everywhere, just not Florida this winter, darn it, but do not get our local channels under 250 miles from home!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here is the spot beam information for directtv

http://www.tivofan.com/directv/channels.html
Old 01-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
As richfaa stated, not seeing any laws regarding the movement of the receiver, the only thing that I know the FCC did was change the area of a person receiving local TV stations for the area of there residency and being able to receive them up to 250 miles as the crow flies from there registration place of the account.

TT2
Old 01-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
James, download the form for DNS from DTV. Fill it out, send it in, see what happens. I have two receivers in the Monty. When I,m home, I borrow one for the stick house. Kerry
Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/policy/shvera.doc

FCC regulations regarding local and distant sat channels if you really want to know..
Old 01-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Doesn't seem they are doing the American public a service, but are more intent on trying to create revenue for the already conglomerates.

Sort of like the law regarding the listening in on cell phone signals. It was okay to do so until a politician got caught talking to his girl friend, then a law was made that basically goes against the constitution of being able to listen to anything going through the ether.

Oh well!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:51 AM   #17
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
So, if you are far enough from home that you cannot get your local channels from sat. and you can't get local broadcast via antenna or cable, does that mean you can't get the major networks, NBC, CBS, ABC, etc. at all?
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #18
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Bill, we have Directv and a HD/DVR, We use the big dish (oval)on a tripod. We have east and west coast feeds for the major networks, and the east coast HD feeds. It has never been a problem to get them all except during a big down pour. We got the waiver from DTV and FAXed it back. We got the service within 36 hours. We called this # which is the direct line into the DNS service center. They can email you the form or download it. Just fill it out and FAX it back. The first time I sent one in to them via certified mail and got a signature back they claimed it never got there and even if it did it would take a month. Then some one on here sent me this phone number and they emailed me the new application and I faxed it back with a copy of the rig registration and they turned on everything within 36 hours. Here is the # 800-263-0028. I have had the E/W feeds for a year but tried to get the HD feeds while I was at home and they blew me off, so I called back after I got back on the road and they turned the HD feeds as I was on the phone... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Dave, I've got the same service as you do, and have had for some time. I can't talk them in to E & W on the HD, just East. Kerry
Old 01-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #20
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
That is the problem with the HD. Normal feeds you get both coasts, but since I live east of the big muddy I get the east coast HD feeds. Maybe when we change our residence to SD we can get the west coast feed. Not disappointed with the present setup since all our favorite programs come on earlier than the west coast so we can get to bed at a reasonable hour... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote