Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
jaleepadgett
Established Member

M.O.C. #8402
Do I need tire covers?

Monty is put up for the winter, parked on concrete ( one side is on a 2X10 for leveling) Will sit for about four months. Question, do I need tire covers and what else do I need to do to preserve the tires while it sits in the same spot for the winter?
Thanks
James, Jan and Zoe

jaleepadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Tire covers---NOT Needed. You will get arguments on this but covered tires add no significant benefits to the life of the tire.
Fully inflated---Yes, and It wouldn't hurt if they were 10 lbs overinflated and keep an eye on them for any pressure loss. Remember to set the proper inflation before traveling in the Spring.
Being that it is on concrete there is no need to place tires on anything. The 2X10's for leveling are fine.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Our camper sits all winter with one side facing the sun. I use them for the benefit of blocking the ultra violet light.
Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-27-2008, 02:52 AM   #4
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
I have heard the arguements for both sides and choose to err on the side of caution. I use the covers. That was not always the case and the one blow-out I have had was on the side that always faces west (the east side is shaded by the slide)while parked at home. The covers are relatively cheap compared to tires so I vote in favor of the covers. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:10 AM   #5
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I use the covers also...can't hurt, while the sun can do some damage. I figure these Missions need all the help they can get.

billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:37 AM   #6
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I say Glenn gets three votes because he is a tire guy. I vote with him.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I gave away my wheel covers five years ago. I put new tires on the rig every three to four years regardless of tread wear. I have what may be a weird philosophy about wheel covers. We don't see our tow vehicles which may set for a week or two with wheel covers, do we. There's a motor home in this park that has set all summer with wheel covers on the tires and a towed vehicle sitting right along side without wheel covers (the towed has been there all summer too without moving). Go figure!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:31 AM   #8
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
If I remember to put them on I use them. I think I do it more to make the rig look good than to protect the tires. If you do use them for an extended period, as I do, be shore to shake them out when you take them off. The spiders and other critters like to hide up in them.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:37 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have owned wheel covers and gave them away, just another one of those things I seen people using and thought well must be a good thing. I don't know if it helps or not, but if it makes you feel good then use them. I am not a Tire Expert so I don't have a clue if it helps or not. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Like Orv, we will replace our tires by the number of miles or years, not by the amount of tread wear.

The objections to owning the tire covers would be that you have to buy them, and you have to put them on, and they take up needed storage space; think I'll have to agree with the tire men!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #11
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Had to take my trailer in today for some minor (??) repairs (seems a tree got to close this summer and 'scratched' the rubber roof . In any case, I was listening to the service manager as he explained to a new trailer owner about 'putting the trailer to bed for the winter'. The thing that he said that is relevant to this thread is to make sure the tires are clean, dry, (and if outside) protected some from the elements. He did say to use anything (a sheet of plywood if secured would work) as would tire covers -- but make sure the tires were clean before covering them. If stored indoors, said to be sure to keep them away from electric motors or heat sources. When he got to me to check my unit in I asked him specifically about tire covers and his exact words were "Chief, I'd love to sell you several sets but the truth is, anything to protect them from the sun and some of the weather will help!!". As many have said - it is up to us as owners to decide our pain level (and stooping over to put them one can be painful some days .......

Be safe out there, stay warm and, as always, enjoy !!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:08 AM   #12
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
Here is an interesting link from Bridgestone on the topic of storage. In several cases they mention covering the tires to avoid direct exposure to the sun or UV exposure.

We use covers. Can't hurt and are low cost protection. I also think they improve the look of the unit.
Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:46 AM   #13
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Well, I for one use the covers to protect the tires from the sun. Heck, I even cover the MOR/ryde pin box from the elements. Call me crazy!
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote