Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
While you are at the scales you might weigh one side at each point to get the side-to-side weights to ensure one side is not carrying way more than the other. To know what the other side weighs just subtract these weights from the total for each point.

I found I was a little lighter on the passenger side at the rear trailer axle but all were still within the 3,000 lbs per tire for my rig with 6,000 lb axles. That corner has just the sofa bed and overhead cabinets. The opposite side has the fireplace, Glass Television, the desk and a bunch of cabinets and we carry DVDs, electronics and other gear from home. One of these days we'll move all the extra stuff to the other side to help out a little bit. It's hard to believe this extra stuff weighs that much, but every little bit of consideration will help.

I like the fact berridge points out that we should ALL go get our real numbers every so often so we know where we stand. This should always be done at the beginning at our trips or whenever we are at our most heaviest. We learned to carry less and do the shopping at the destination and not to carry the extra weight when we don't need it.

Lucky for me I found a Storage place with a scale (they weigh their moving trucks all the time) and they only charge me $10 for as many weights as I want. They jot them down on a piece of paper, then I create a spreadsheet for every wheel and axle for reference. I have weighed twice and the numbers are very consistent since I carry pretty much the same stuff. The biggest change is that the first weighing I was overloaded at the rear axle and the gross weight of my Ford F-250. The trailer was fine. I have legally upgraded the truck to an F-350 and the second weighing confirmed I am now within the new ratings.

I didn't get the truck "recertified" so I can only tow legally for private use (I saved all the documentation showing the proper parts were purchased and used and pictures of the results). If so inclined I would pay a bit for the recertification and this would change the VIN to reflect the new changes and therefore incur higher vehicle registration fees. Since I don't tow enough I didn't bother.

Oh yes, for the curious, adding the extra hardware for the increase in ratings did make the unladen weight of the truck about 100 lbs heavier. The extra weight came from larger tires (18" from 17"), larger wheels (including the spare) and the extra leaf spring, brackets, bumpers and hardware. A small 100 lb increase in weight to gain a large increase in ratings (+900 at the rear axle, +1500 GVWR). I got lucky and didn't have to buy a new truck.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
Ed C
Established Member

M.O.C. #22849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-n-Marge View Post
I have legally upgraded the truck to an F-350 and the second weighing confirmed I am now within the new ratings.

I didn't get the truck "recertified" so I can only tow legally for private use (I saved all the documentation showing the proper parts were purchased and used and pictures of the results).
I know this is an old post, but I have a similar situation - and would like to legally upgrade my F-250's payload to that of an F-350. May I ask how you did that? I am searching, but can't yet find a way to do so. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed C View Post
I know this is an old post, but I have a similar situation - and would like to legally upgrade my F-250's payload to that of an F-350. May I ask how you did that? I am searching, but can't yet find a way to do so. Thank you!
Only Ford can do that, or bless it if somebody else does it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed C View Post
I put 1 ton springs and rear sway bar on our truck,as that was the only difference between our 2500 and a 3500 hd Duramax. We now have the same suspension,rearend,and gearing as a 3500 SRW truck. Also I have 20" wheels, but I'm looking at upgrading those,as thats what came factory on mine.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote