Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Wineguard Connect External WiFi Unit

I recently saw this external unit to collect WiFi signals when traveling. Unit retails for around $600 and then a monthly fee. Has anyone out there bought this product, and then there thoughts?

jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Heck of a lot cheaper to just go with a hot spot on your phone. And safer.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
TJSEG6
Established Member

M.O.C. #20968
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
Heck of a lot cheaper to just go with a hot spot on your phone. And safer.
Hot spotting your phone is no safer or more dangerous. Just another way of creating a Wifi network in your RV. You also assume that you will always have cellular signal everywhere you go.

Winegard as well as some of the others like Wifiranger just take an existing signal where you are staying and boosts it into your camper. Doesn't make the network any faster.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We get almost all our data from Verizon and even working in Wildlife Refuges we've always got a good enough signal to get by so we've never experimented with other devises.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #5
Iokepa

M.O.C. #20639
After some research I went with the WiFiRanger Elite Pack. Well worth the money for me. Though it does not boost internet speed, it will pull in a distant wifi signal at it's current speed. So, if the wifi speed is 20mb at its source and you are 2500 ft away you'll be able to get the speed but no faster. I have access to Xfinity Hot Spots, which there are a lot of, and use those rather then the park's wifi.
Iokepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSEG6 View Post
Hot spotting your phone is no safer or more dangerous. Just another way of creating a Wifi network in your RV.
I must respectfully disagree. Connecting to a campground wifi or perhaps a open business wifi does not offer the same level of security as connecting to a cellular hotspot or device that you own. If the wifi connection you are connecting to is actually legitimate your information may or may not be transmitted securely. It is a growing trend for people with ill intents to create wifi networks that are named to fool potential users to believe they are legitimate networks when in fact they are setup to collect personal data from all unsuspecting users that connect. This always occur without the end users even suspecting there is an issue.

The cell hotspot that you own is a known good source and if setup with minimal safeguards will be inherently more secure than a public or campground wifi. I would never enter financial information onto a campground wifi or a public wifi like Starbucks. When I am forced to use these mediums I always use VPN proxy connections to secure my information. These services are becoming more and more prevalent in the consumer arena.

To address the OP there are several options out there for wifi repeaters and depending upon your level of expertise they some can be had for a lot less money than you quoted. I personally have the OEM components used in the WiFi Ranger. If you are comfortable with some basic computer networking and don't need the WFR wizard type interface the cost is significantly less than half of the retail version of the OEM'd components.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #7
Civi

M.O.C. #21327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iokepa View Post
After some research I went with the WiFiRanger Elite Pack. Well worth the money for me. Though it does not boost internet speed, it will pull in a distant wifi signal at it's current speed. So, if the wifi speed is 20mb at its source and you are 2500 ft away you'll be able to get the speed but no faster. I have access to Xfinity Hot Spots, which there are a lot of, and use those rather then the park's wifi.
Do you mind if I ask where did you find the Wi-Fi Ranger? Searched Amazon and couldn't find it.

Thanks
Civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #8
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
https://wifiranger.com/shop
+ just about every Youtube channel associated with RVing has an affiliate link to purchase.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:31 AM   #9
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Actually I have the WiFi connects and it is as safe or actually more safe than a cell, despite being hooked up to a publicly open wifi, the system has its own modem which you can put several layers of protection on. From the factory setting you still have protection from anyone else getting into your system just like the password protection on the phone.

I've got one of the original units that came out, bought it at the Tampa show for a good price and after some haggling with the factory rep he through in a new tv antenna as well for same price.

It works really well in parks that have good public wifi, can take a signal that is weak and boost it to 99% or so, rarely drops the signal. I've been parked at some parks where I can't see the free wifi at all on the laptop or the phone but with this unit I have a great signal.

I can usually see 30 or 40 wifi signals but unfortunately most are secured and thus it renders it useless unless there is unsecured available.

It does allow you to have your own secure wireless network with the option for those camping with you to log on as a guest using another secured password that you set up which is a nice feature we've used quite a bit.

The new units have a monthly fee and option for cell signals but quite frankly I see no point in that. I do have wifi in my truck (thanks GM) it works great and I can get a signal in places where my cell does not have such so with the two options we are covered and the only outlay was the initial $400 at the show in Tampa....
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Speedster the risk of grossly over simplifying the issues using a wifi repeater or extender the significant risk I was attempting to point out is not so much your "box". The problem is that the communication on the open network is all accessible by nefarious persons intent on intercepting that traffic. There is no need to attempt to compromise your supplicant network when the backhaul network is wide open. In the case of the cell phone tethering or cell hotspot the backhaul network is not open. Again we are not comparing or addressing the supplicant connection security. I will capitulate that all things equal they are fairly protected.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #11
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
For an added layer of security I named my WIFI router "FBI Mobile Trailer". most folks steer away from it.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:53 PM   #12
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Roflmao