Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Heater and A/C on at the same time?

I'm sorry if this is a repost, but we have been staying in Bend, Oregon, and it has been 25 degree nights, so the fireplace and a small room heater are not keeping up, so we have been using the furnace, and it is weird, that even though it is blowing warm air in from the floor ducts, the roof A/C ducts are blowing in really cold air? Way is this?

Old 10-15-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
I'm sorry if this is a repost, but we have been staying in Bend, Oregon, and it has been 25 degree nights, so the fireplace and a small room heater are not keeping up, so we have been using the furnace, and it is weird, that even though it is blowing warm air in from the floor ducts, the roof A/C ducts are blowing in really cold air? Way is this?
The thermostat has zone 1 and 2... make sure two is off... while zone two is showing go to mode and push mode button so it says off. Then push zone 1 and then mode. Push mode to furnace.. auto should be off as well. Adjust temp to where you want it... if the ac comes on it will take about 30 seconds to shu off.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
This is a common problem. The fan must be set to Auto when running the furnace. Otherwise the A/C fans will run also. It is documented in the thermostat manual. Do a "Search" and you will find lots of posts on the this. For example:
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ghlight=heater

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
Grzly03
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19585
Send a message via AIM to Grzly03 Send a message via MSN to Grzly03
You can also just trip the A/C cb and it will prevent the A/C fan from running.
Grzly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #5
lilpeach
Established Member

M.O.C. #19266
Quote:

Turn on thermostat. Push mode. Once fan mode "High" comes up press the up arrow until "auto" appears. Then push mode till you get to furnace. The key is the fan setting has to be on "Auto" to run furnace otherwise a/c will be on too. This happen to me the first winter. Icicles were forming outside. Thanks to my Dad explaining it to me it would have been a miserable night. Of course his first statement was "I take it you still haven't read your manuals on your camper".
Old 10-15-2017, 11:00 PM   #6
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Wow, who would have figured that out on their own!! thanks guys, it works! Now it will not be fighting itself!!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #7
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Wow, who would have figured that out on their own!! thanks guys, it works! Now it will not be fighting itself!!
Glad to help... I had this issue and finally figured it out...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
OK< just to make sure, when I want to just use the A/C on hot days, am I supposed to do the same Auto thing, so it will shut off and on from time to time? Right now, when I put the A/C on, it just stays on, and keeps cycling between the compressor being on and not being on, but the loud noise is constant? So maybe if I try this Auto fan thing, it will shut off as long as it has reached the temp I want, which with these A/C units, might not ever happen, unless it is only 80 degrees out side? :-)
Old 10-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
lilpeach
Established Member

M.O.C. #19266
Quote:
OK< just to make sure, when I want to just use the A/C on hot days, am I supposed to do the same Auto thing, so it will shut off and on from time to time? Right now, when I put the A/C on, it just stays on, and keeps cycling between the compressor being on and not being on, but the loud noise is constant? So maybe if I try this Auto fan thing, it will shut off as long as it has reached the temp I want, which with these A/C units, might not ever happen, unless it is only 80 degrees out side? :-)
Yes use auto for a/c also. Glad to be of help!!!!!