Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2016, 06:05 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My dealer experience

So we blew another holding tank on our 5K miles plus summer road trip.
We lost one wing of our batwing somewhere between Shawnee, Ok and Amarillo, Tx
The clear plastic part of the screen door came part and the black handle broke.

We took in to our local dealer Moore's RV in North Ridgeville, Ohio they are Keystone dealer among others but do not handle Montana's. They have no problem taking in our Montana'

We took it to the dealer Wednesday August 17th at 9AM. We went over the repair list with the service manager he looked at each item at the RV and we agreed that we understood what had to be done.
There were no bays open at that time so we dropped it and went to Breakfast.

Returned today Saturday August 20 at 11AM.The dealer is less than 10 mins from our driveway. The Montana was in a bay. The bat wing antenna had been replaced. They "fixed" the screen door.He showed me the cost of ordering the parts , shipping etc and knew I would not go for that. He also knew we were going to Goshen and would be better off finding a replacement there for much less. I agreed.

The gray tank had split at the top seam were the two parts of the tank are glued together(no surprise there) you could reach up and put your hand in the tank. They got the numbers and will order the tank Monday.Last tank took 2 week to get here.

One other item was on me. After installing the Trailersaver BD3 Hitch there was not enough clearance between the truck rails and the nose of the Montana. They lowered to hitch to the bottom holes which will raise the nose up.It had been completed.

So everything was addressed in 3 days and all repaires completed except the tank that is on order.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
You really have a great dealer, whick you are aware of. I think the only cure for the tanks is a new design or fiberglass the exterior so that they can't expand like a piece of bubblegum. John
Old 08-20-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Good job Rich! Glad you got things back in order and will make it to the Fall Rally with somewhat of a new unit! See you in about a month!

John-- they do have a new design for the tanks now. They told us about it at the last Fall Rally They are one piece now instead of being two pieces and glued or plastic welded together. The new units are suppose to have them on them. We'll see how they work! This has been a problem with ALL of the rv manufacturers but we hear about it here more because it happens to our units and we don't hear about the SOBs that are having the problem too.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Sound like the same support we get from our dealer although as repeat buyers we might get a little more attention. And sometimes you can help others and yourself at the same time. Historical post, described back in April 2015' , we had major work done, new frig ,new m/w, at the top of the list. They did a great job. We sent a letter to the boss recognizing that effort, and the service advisor/technician by name. Whenever we walk into the service area, they know us by name and we are golden. People like to bitch about bad work but seldom formally recognize a job well done. I once had a boss who told me your reward for doing a great job is you get to keep it. I worked twice as hard for his replacement who would once in a while pat me on the back and say thanks. And he was tougher and more demanding.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:13 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad it's getting fixed. It really is just like a card game. You have to have a dealer you can trust.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have three great dealers.Town & Country in Clyde,Ohio who is our purchasing dealer but 60 miles away.
Moores Rv in North Ridgeville, Ohio who is a Keystone dealer but not Montana dealer and is about 3 miles from out driveway.Jims trailer sales in Grafton,Ohio who is not a Keystone dealer and handles no Keystone products he is about 7 miles from our driveway. We deal with all if them and have no problem.

It would be counter productive not to mention bad business to treat a customer poorly and I do not understand why a dealer would do that.We have not yet met a bad dealer Keystone or otherwise.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have 3 dealers close. A CW that ain't got a clue a mid sized dealer that the owner is let's say less than a gentleman and a small dealer that is fantastic. I've dealt with Town and Country and almost bought my MH from Dale. Good people.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
We purchased our 2015 Mountaineer from Town & Country as well. Since T&C is 2 1/2 hours away we have the rig serviced at General RV in Mt. Clemens. Even though we didn't purchase it there, they treat us as if we did. Last January they stood up for us and corrected, at no charge, a major issue that Keystone management refused to approve the warranty for. A letter of appreciation and thanks was sent. When you have a dealer that's good and cares, you stick with them.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
T&C is a days drive for us. We are in western Va.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:04 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never purchased a Rv from CW or had them do any major repair or installation. We learned long ago when working the Rv shows that C.W was not known as the best place to purchase or have repairs done.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:23 AM   #11
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
We have bought 2 rigs from Likeshore in Muskegon, Mi. A very high volume dealer. As they are 2000 miles away we use a local dealer here in Lake Havasu City Az. Sunshine is a Montana dealer as well as other brands. So far they have been very responsive to our needs.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #12
jrmart77
Established Member

M.O.C. #17919
We live in Minot, North Dakota and there are three dealers here. Two are OK and the third is Capital RV. They are great!! We have purchased two units from them. The first was a Cougar High Country, which we traded in for a Montana High Country 353RL last year. All I have to do is call the Service Manager and explain the issue. Most of the time he will explain how to correct issue or say "Bring it in now." We have never had an issue with any member of their staff. They did everything possible to ensure that all issues on our Montana was corrected before we picked it up. The PDI with a warranty tech, Service Tech and my self took 3 hours. I looked at and operated everything. Items that were found were either corrected or parts were ordered right away. I would and have recommended Capital RV to several individuals.
jrmart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:03 AM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Getting an issue "fixed" and getting it fixed right for the long term are two different scenerios. For every one good RV dealer service center ... many of us could come up with 5 bad ones. It's just how the business plays out. CW in Kansas City, MO ... 4 Seasons RV in Abeline, KS, and Adventure RV in Wichita( now out of business) for examples. Most any of their techs would be hard pressed to correctly determine which end of the fiver goes on the truck.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Our dealer, Leach Camper Sales in Council Bluffs, Iowa has been great. As for the tanks, they started putting rotomolded tanks in last year. Unfortunately, they are not backward compatible. We'll see how that works out.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #15
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I envy those of you who have a good/great dealer close to you. My selling dealer is a schmuck who couldn't be bothered to even wash my new rig before delivery (even though I had specifically ask him to 2 weeks prior).
My experience with CW is all negative with 1 exception.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also had to order a black tank cable assembly .Helen could not pull the valve open and I had to use two hands to open it.It had always been hard to pull but got much worse. We looked at it and it was not tangled or improperly run. The dealer tech said this is not a uncommon problem all brands just OEM lowest bidder material.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #17
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I am sure many dealers are better when you are spending out of warranty money with them. General RV in Birch Run Michigan (my selling dealer)is the worst dealer who has done more damage than good. Evidently General RV is like Camping World some good some bad? The other two Keystone Warranty dealers are fine but they are only as good as Keystone allows them to be unless you are paying them out of warranty. I do miss my old Rv Repair Center, Countryside RV, in Ringold Virginia. They did not sell but were great for any repair or maintenance.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dealer ordered the Gray tank Monday the 22 of August we had them do a expedited order. We shall see what happens. We wound up replacing both the gray and black cables for the tanks. The black was near impossible to pull and the gray was hard to pull. The $$$$$ are flying.. Oh the joy of Rv ownership.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #19
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Glad to see you are getting great customer care. I wish I could say the same with our new dealership, the old one we bought from sold out. I finaly got tired of waiting and called Keystone, that actually sounded a bit angry with the new dealers lack of response. My issues are still there and I am still waiting for help and to actually have the issues resolved/fixed. Probably have to just fix everything myself even though they should have done it. Some things were actually fixed but I will probably never buy another Montana, to many issues and not enough customer support. I am glad you have a great dealer and can only wish that we had the same.

Tom Marty
Old 08-26-2016, 06:27 PM   #20
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We had CW in Ocala do some emergency body work on our Big Sky back in April. They did a great job in less than a day, and we were able to enjoy the rest of our trip. I took it in last month to the CW in Sefner, near Tampa and had wheel bearings lubed. So much faster and cheaper than Lazy Days, who had previously done 99% of our maintenance. I guess it shows that not all CWs are alike. Lazy Days has gotten too busy to bother with good customer service!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We have never purchased a Rv from CW or had them do any major repair or installation. We learned long ago when working the Rv shows that C.W was not known as the best place to purchase or have repairs done.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote