Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Propane

I have a problem that some of you may have incountered. We have promised to stay at the Travel Center here on 1-40. With the promise of them furnishing propane. Since it is 43 miles one way to the nearest distributor. It has been almost a month and no progress. The company that does the construction for the Center, said no problem, there was a moble home with service, were we now park our fifth wheel. He was going to trench from there around back of the spaces, and run pipe and three hook ups for our fifth wheel, another motor home and pull trailer, currently here. Then about two weeks of not hearing anything, he came and said he talked to the local propane dealer and they would not hook up to R V's and suggested that he should not either. He said his insurance would not cover him if something went wrong. So the company we work for, said they would hire a plummer to do the job. that way two weeks ago. I've been told two days ago. A repersentative for New Mexico Propane would be out to see if it was possible. They would set up seperate tanks, 200 gal. and that would be the way to go. I have been told by two other propane dealers that they would not hook up to a RV's. Have any of you had this problem. We go through a tank, about once a week if we run the furnace full time. Thanks for you time.

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Don't know about the hookups, but I do know that we use electric space heaters (particularly if your site has electric as part of the rent), and try to only use the propane for cooking and occasionally fire up the furnace to force warm air into the basement area if hte temperatures are below freezing. Hope this helps.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
With the state of litigation today, it is no surprise that no one is willing to do it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
It's no problem to hook up a larger tank to your RV. The problem exists (which you are finding out) with the propane supplier "wanting" to do it. We are running into the same thing here. Called all six suppliers in this area and only 1 would agree to come and supply me but only if I purchased a 200LB tank from him for $500. No thanks!! Several said it wouldn't be worth their time to send a truck and driver out even though they are less than 1 mile away from the campground. Bottom line is, there was just not enough profit in it for them. Seems strange since we are in the middle of a recession but that is the only conclusion I can come up with.

I talked to the RV park where I'm at and they are going to loan me the use of a 100LB tank and can fill it when needed from their bulk tank. I did see that the local hardware (Big R) had 100lb tanks for sale for $120.00 and this would have been a last resort for us. Perhaps your employer would consider purchasing 3 tanks and having the propane supplier keep them full? Maybe if they knew there were 3 larger tanks to fill every 10 days to 2 weeks the trip may be worth their while.

I hooked ours up to the on board regulator using a hose I bought at camping world. Just unhook the hose from one of the on board tanks and hook up the supply hose to the big tank in it's place.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree about the Litigation . We had the same problem before we built the stick house next to the RV site. We did buy our on tank, and they do come and fill when we call. Lowes, Tractor Supply have the larger tanks they can be loaded and taken to be refilled. But you can also rent larger tanks. But again those crazy rules. I have twin 40's and I purchased another 40 pounder for a back up tank. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Let me start with a thank you for the comments: The company we work for has and will buy three tanks, since currently we have three RV's here. So it will be worth the supplier to come out, they do any way on a two weeks basic their is already five 500 gal tanks here to be filled. I was told today if I sign a waiver that if any thing goes wrong I would be held responsible they would consider the installation of pipeing and setting the three tanks, each RVer would have to sigh such a waiver. Still haven't seem the agent from the propane supplier. I will keep you all udated as it happens. As to Bingo's comment the electicity is in the mothly price of 110 dollars, thats for everything and we have to tower Lasko electric heaters and in the morning we do run the fireplace. What we are concerned about is when we are at work and our dog is home alone if they should catch fire, he would not survive it. It would be alot safer with the furnance, randye
randye is offline   Reply With Quote