Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Awning tie down

Had a pretty bad storm on our last trip out, and the awning was flapping in the wind pretty good. Other than rolling the awning up every time the wind blows, what do you folks recommend in the way of awning tie downs, straps, etc.

dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We use the tie down ropes from CW. I also added stiff springs to the portions that go into the ground to take some of the stress off the intersection of the awning and the rig. Also wind deflappers on each side of the awning. This is ok during most winds but, if they are talking severe thunderstorms with high winds like we have experienced around here lately, we take the awning back up.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our experience has been that when a good wind hits the awning there is nothing that will hold it down.. We use no tie downs what so ever as we want nothing in our way if we need to get the awning up fast. If there is any suspicion at all that there will be high winds..we put the awning up..only takes a few mins.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I had some anchors for the ground to tie the awning to but rarely ever used them. When it gets really bad I agree with the others; you're better off to just roll it up.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boylanag

We use the tie down ropes from CW. I also added stiff springs to the portions that go into the ground to take some of the stress off the intersection of the awning and the rig. Also wind deflappers on each side of the awning. This is ok during most winds but, if they are talking severe thunderstorms with high winds like we have experienced around here lately, we take the awning back up.
dennisl,We do exactly the same thing as boylanag, still have the awning, but have seen several well tied down awnings go bye-bye.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
dennisl, I also use the tie downs from CW and three deflappers on each side. Having said this, I am to the point of rarely putting the darn thing out. Seems like everytime I do, the wind starts kicking, then it's: Get the ladder back out, take off the deflappers, untie the tie downs, loosen the arms, roll the thing up, put away the deflappers, put away the ladder. I think my next purchase will be an electric awning, push a button, out it goes. Push a button, in it comes.....Call me lazy or skeptical but I don't want to have to replace that darned awning. Plus, since we have been travelling, we are rarely at the coach each day, too busy sightseeing. My only decision is: A & E or Carefree????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
We've lost a tied down awning--Now we roll it up when there's a threat of weather or when we leave the campground for the day (unless we ask another MOC'er to watch it for us). Everyone has their own awning story! Some will tell you that it can weather almost anything tied down a certain way, most will tell you to roll it up.

There's been a discussion (probably archived) about the different types of electric awnings. Please check it out. One of the things that was discussed was a problem with the automatic settings and not having your awning out when you want it--or it constantly going in and out.

Hope you solve your dilema!
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
What do most do for slide-out awnings flapping in the wind?
I've been in some really strong winds that I felt would tear the awnings. Brought the slides in during the night to stop the flap.

I've thought about web ties around the slides.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:16 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dannyl

What do most do for slide-out awnings flapping in the wind?
I've been in some really strong winds that I felt would tear the awnings. Brought the slides in during the night to stop the flap.

I've thought about web ties around the slides.
That is the very reason we don't have the slide-out awnings. I have heard of people using blow up beach balls wedged between the awning and the top of the slide to reduce the amount of flapping.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Add us to the roll it up when it gets bad crowd. We just lost our awning last Saturday. Sudden thunderstorm blew up before we had a chance to roll it up, the tube was on the roof. It was tied down with straps/springs, but it ripped the tie downs right out of the ground. All the arms/rafters separated and the tube landed square on the top, between the front a/c and the bath vent MaxAir. One of the arms managed to punch a hole in the kitchen slide topper. Also bent one of the wings on the antenna. Kay said the roller landing on the roof sounded like a bomb going off. Weather reports that the winds were 60 plus mph and were hitting us perfectly broadside. The wind was blowing rain in through the window weep holes. If I hadn't caught it at about the time the window channel was full, we'd have had a big wet mess inside. Monty is at the dealer now getting the estimate worked up for the insurance.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm of the roll it up type. Don't leave it down when away from camp, and put it up at the first sign of thunder storms, or just don't put it down.

as for the toppers, the better method that I have heard is to use a flat strap across the awning anchored on both sides to the ground, or frame. The strap should be close to 2 inches wide to keep it from slicing through the awning. Others may have other ideas.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We purchased a 3 inch wide tow strap that we anchor with bungee cords to the bottom of the slide. We have only done that once or twice and only on the large slide. When in Vegas earlier this year we did pull slides in one night, then went to bed. Wind got up to 60 mph...We love to have our main awning out, but we are not often in camp during the day, sightseeing. I think I will spring for the electric awning when I am more stable for awhile.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:22 AM   #13
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I stopped tieing it down, flappers, lights, cute wind thingies or anything that I have to take down in the middle of the night in a storm, hurricane, blizzard or whatever, in order to roll the awning up fast. I am a slow learner so it only took me 5 or 6 of these glorious occations to learn.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote