Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
whiptail
Established Member

M.O.C. #7521
Satelite radio installation

I am thinking about putting a permanent satelite radio antenna on the outside of our 2955RL. I really don't want to mount it on the side and drill holes into the gel coat in case a tree brance hits it. I thought I would mount it on the top of the ladder with a trucker mirror mount and run the wire underneath the coach to the front but I would have to drill a hole in the floor and poke the wire up through. There is a kit for XM that is made for mirrors. My problem is I don't understand how to deal with the fabric or what ever sealing the bottom of the coach. Can it be removed easily and put back on?

whiptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Before you start drilling holes, I remember reading here that some of the folks have been able to set up the antenna inside by using the magnet and attaching it near or above the entertainment center. I could not find that specific post, so maybe someone with that type install will jump in and comment.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Check out Ozz's mods and I think you will find it there.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I keep my XM antenna in the cabinet above the TV. When I get to the campsite, I simply move the antenna until I have reception. The trailer, much to my surprise, does not block the signal so I have not seen the need to mount one outside.
Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
whiptail
Established Member

M.O.C. #7521
I was planning on using the small car magnetic antenna. If I leave it inside above the tv do I need the lager home/indorr model?
Old 04-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brenkco

I keep my XM antenna in the cabinet above the TV. When I get to the campsite, I simply move the antenna until I have reception. The trailer, much to my surprise, does not block the signal so I have not seen the need to mount one outside.
Ken
I do the same as Ken,I velcro the antenna on top of the tuner. No problem with reception because of the fiberglass and rubber roof.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Hi Tom, I have XM antenna on the top shelf in the entertainment center. It works for me. I didn't want to poke a hole in the roof either. Try it inside first, that way you can raise or lower or turn the antenna to peak the signal. Any questions, just PM me.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Whiptail,
Not sure about the small car antenna and how it might work inside. It's worth a try. I use the home kit & antenna (small black that tilts from 0 to 90 degrees. I think I would look into getting that antenna before cutting holes, etc. If I recall, the home kit wasn't too expensive, around $40-50.
Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
whiptail
Established Member

M.O.C. #7521
Thanks all!
I put the small antenna on the top shelf. Actually I used the magnet to stick it to the metal door latch up near the top of the cabinet. Works great. I got a 110 power adapter from ebay and pluged that in down below.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I mounted mine on top of one of my air vents for the grey tank and ran the wire down the pipe. Drilled hole in side of pipe and fished out cord. Long enough to go outside or anywhere in the living area. Oh, I sealed the hole I drilled with aqua seal tape.. Works great always gets signal. Glued small steel piece an top of cap, magnet on antenna stays put.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ours works fine on the inside of the enertainment center.. At first it did not work till OZZ suggested that I point the antenna UP.OZZ is one smart guy..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote