Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2007, 03:15 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Wind and Topper Flap

We are in Virginia Beach till the 7th. We are still getting the dregs of the nor'easter here. The wind is really bad at the moment and the large slide topper sounds like it is being torn off. I have watched it from outside when it gets really loud and it isn't ballooning out but just a bit of flapping. Does anyone use a flat strap over theirs? I had seen large flat straps used across the middle of awnings in Fl. last year. I was thinking of getting one that I could basically just wrap around the slide and over the middle of the topper. Suggestions?... Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:48 AM   #2
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Dave and Betsy, sent you a PM.
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If the PM is an answer, it doesn't help me here in Corpus Christi.

I lost the main awning coming in on Saturday.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I toss a small rope over it with a little pressure, just enough to stop the flapping. And I've only needed to do it on the large topper. The flapping drive me crazy.

Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Wayne, it wasn't but I am sorry to hear about your awning. Unfortunately I have found that unless it is dead calm near the beach I don't even try to put the main awning out. Tried in Mayport last year and it was way to breezy. Right now I am just worried about the slide toppers and specifically the long one on the big slide. The last two days the wind has just been ripping through the CG and that main slide topper sounds like it is coming apart. But when I go out and watch it it isn't mocing that much. It is just so long that it makes a good sail... Dave and Betsy
Old 12-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I would consider a very long lashing strap with a ratchet connector. Over and around the main slide.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dave,
I noticed the same thing here at Corpus Christi Bay. Wind was flapping the toppers to beat the band. Saw one unhappy camper pull his living room slide in. We made it through the night, but I checked them all a few times. I did see one topper in the CG with a strap across it. I'm also going to check into that. Let us know what you find out.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Dave when I am at myrtle beach if it is windy I tie a small rope around mine to. It works for me. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I don't quite understand a "small rope around" mine. Do you have a picture or better description. Is that ground over topper to ground? Is it tied under the slide? Is it tight or just enough pressure that it does not fall off? etc.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:24 AM   #10
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Mike
I toss a small rope over the large slide and run it under the slide and back to itself. I only put enough pressure on it to stop the flapping but not enough to rub throught the cover.
I have been planning to get a 1" wide strap and put a small plastic buckle on it to make it easier. Both can be gotten from a sports shop or probally OSH.
Good Luck
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #11
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Exnavydiver We are currently at the oregon coast, Coos Bay. In Nov we had winds between 55 to 70 mph. I used cotton rope and ran it around the topper and under the slide then attached a bungie cord for streach. I put them on all three and we had more wind In Dec. So far it has kept them contained, they still make a little noise but no damage yet? Randye
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #12
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Thanks for the clarification.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:10 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I had considered using a long piece of 3" Samson braid which is about 3/4 inch in diameter but would rather use a flat strap about 2 Inches wide. The reason for this is that I look at the rope and think of the cheese cutter effect. If the wind gets up and gets under the topper the rope can act like a cheese cutter and rip through the material. The wider the strap the wider the surface area and the less likely the chance of a rip. But the more I think about it I realize that the material is brand new and very unlikely to rip in anything short of a tornado. After several years in the sun I know the material will deteriorate and tear more easily. So I guess a rope when new and strap when old would work. However I will probably get a strap just to be safe