Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
wegriffin
Established Member

M.O.C. #7411
A NEWBIE with questions

I was not sure "where" to post these questions, so I'll post them here....these pertain to our 2007 Montana Mountaineer Edition 307RKD.
1--In the bedroom, on the front wall where the closet doors are located, there is a switch labeled BEDROOM. Can someone tell me what this switch controls?
2--After enjoying Houston's 100+ temperatures these past few days, is there some methodology to making the refrigerator get colder?
3--With the kitchen layout, I worry about extending the living room slideout and possibly catching the refrigerator doors (which could be disasterous). Does anyone have a shortcut to ensuring the doors are properly closed without having to climb over the cabinetry to look at them? We like to leave them ajar when we are not camping so as to prevent mold, mildew and the like.
Any assistance in these ares would be appreciated.
W.E. Griffin

wegriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Welcome to the forum

2 notes:

1.) helps to start the frig up at least 24 hours before departure time, without loading up with warm pop/beer/beverages. Give it a jump start. Sometimes when it is that hot, we put beverages in a regular cooler with ice, then we are not in and out of the frig so much. Keeping the door closed helps too.

2.) To prevent mold, etc, in a unused frig: turn OFF, clean out good, DRY out EXTRA good, stuff with crumpled newspaper, and close the door. Never a mold problem but must be VERY DRY before the newspaper and door shutting. We do this with all coolers, frigs, etc. Coolers not used for 3 years had NO mold and no stinky smell when opened.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
wegriffin
Established Member

M.O.C. #7411
Thanks for the info about starting the fridge ahead of time. I've done that in the past. Because the gas detector is a power hog (to the battery), I pull the fuse on that critter----that, coupled with the solar cell in the front window, ensure that I have adequate power from the battery to keep the fridge going until we are ready to pick up the camper and leave. I was looking for some type of adjustment that might help the fridge perform a little better. I visited your website---like your improvements.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
There is a slider, as I recall on the fridge that adjusts the temp. Can't recall whether up or down helps to make it cooler. If you are making ice and keeping stuff frozen in the freezer, it's working well. We have not had a problem. Not sure what your "Bedroom" switch is for at this time.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
wegriffin
Established Member

M.O.C. #7411
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

There is a slider, as I recall on the fridge that adjusts the temp. Can't recall whether up or down helps to make it cooler. If you are making ice and keeping stuff frozen in the freezer, it's working well. We have not had a problem. Not sure what your "Bedroom" switch is for at this time.
I was hoping for an external type adjustment in addition to the push button slider/indicator. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Do not hold me to this, but I believe that the switch is for the tv booster.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
wegriffin
Established Member

M.O.C. #7411
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FulltimeFollies

Do not hold me to this, but I believe that the switch is for the tv booster.
The booster switch is at the antenna plug. Thanks....the one I'm referring to looks like a 12 volt type switch rather than an a/c switch...it's black, about 1 inch square...
Old 08-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
You can buy a little fan that is designed to set in the bottom of the fridge. Helps circulate that cold air through the fridge. Here is a link to the one they sell at Camping World. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...an/skunum=6675
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
bernieb
Established Member

M.O.C. #7003
I have a 3000rk that the slide hides the fridge and the drawer beneath it. Thanks to this forum I put a child lock and velcro on the drawer and so far no problems. Not so with the fridge doors tho. After a trip over rough roads the DW opened the slide and the freezer door had opened and hung on the slide and ripped off a large section of the slide trim. I was able to repair in 1/2 day but we now velcro the fridge doors closed while in transit. We store the Monty under a cover at the stick house and keep it pluged to shore power so our fridge stays on all the time. As other have suggested it would help to at least turn the fridge on a day or so ahead of your trip
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:31 AM   #10
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
wegriffin, check out the switch you are talking about and see if it controls the speakers in the bedroom. Ours is located in the ceiling but it only says bedroom. It only controls the speakers when the surround system is on. Otherwise, I don't have a clue!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:50 AM   #11
wegriffin
Established Member

M.O.C. #7411
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bernieb

I have a 3000rk that the slide hides the fridge and the drawer beneath it. Thanks to this forum I put a child lock and velcro on the drawer and so far no problems. Not so with the fridge doors tho. After a trip over rough roads the DW opened the slide and the freezer door had opened and hung on the slide and ripped off a large section of the slide trim. I was able to repair in 1/2 day but we now velcro the fridge doors closed while in transit. We store the Monty under a cover at the stick house and keep it pluged to shore power so our fridge stays on all the time. As other have suggested it would help to at least turn the fridge on a day or so ahead of your trip
Thanks for the info---I like the velcro idea and will give that a try...
Old 08-13-2007, 02:51 AM   #12
wegriffin
Established Member

M.O.C. #7411
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

wegriffin, check out the switch you are talking about and see if it controls the speakers in the bedroom. Ours is located in the ceiling but it only says bedroom. It only controls the speakers when the surround system is on. Otherwise, I don't have a clue!
I'm going to check that out---it makes sense now that you mention it...thanks for the info....little things like "what is that for?" really bug me sometimes...
Old 08-13-2007, 03:21 AM   #13
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
We have a 329 Mountaineer and it has a switch on the front wall, closet wall to turn the speakers on the bedroom ceiling off & on. These speakers are only on when in the surround sound is on (ceiling speakers in the rear living area on also in surround sound mode).
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #14
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I use a velcro strip on all of our cabinet doors. When everything in the Monty is bouncing around things shift and can open the cabinet. I had some cokes stored on the floor and they shifted on our last trip. I heard a crunch and had coke leaking everywhere.I now partially open our big slides and check to make sure everything is ok before I completely extend our slides.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:19 AM   #15
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Yes, the switch in the bedroom controls the overhead speakers in the bedroom (on or off). As far as the fridge, our 307rkd has push buttons at the top on the outside numbered 1 thru 5, with 5 being the coldest. Don't know if that is an option or not, may be standard. Anyway, check that out. We have access to power and keep the fridge running all the time except in the winter.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:23 AM   #16
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I also read somewhere, and I did it, from the outside access panel behind the fridge is a black hose. We fed it to the outside, it doesn't stick out but can be seen in the plastic cover vents. Supposed to make it run cooler.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote