Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2017, 04:25 AM   #1
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
Some Rookie Questions

1st weekend in our 2017 3820FK, a practice trip while we are still under warranty and before we full time till we figure what we want to do when we grow up. There are a couple things I can't figure out. We have a light labeled DS1 FLT between the gas/electric water heater switches. What is it? Next, before I go back to Camping World for service the water heater (SW12DEL) is not working off electric. Gas works fine, plenty of hot water. The Electric switch in the inside hall panel is on and the switch outside under the cover, lower left corner, is on too. Really hoping to not go back to CW for this, my previous 2 dealings with them was less than I would wish on my enemies. Thanks for any help in advance Joe.

FloridaFlockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:55 AM   #2
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
I don’t know about the light. Two things with your water heater, cycle the circuit breaker off then on in your power center. Outside near the switch there is a breaker labeled “push to reset” that could be tripped.
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:57 AM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
The DS1 FLT lite is the light that will come on if your water heater does lite on gas.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #4
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
There is also a black switch on the water heater it’s usually on the left bottom corner that has to be on for electric to work.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuhn View Post
There is also a black switch on the water heater it’s usually on the left bottom corner that has to be on for electric to work.
Outside behind the water heater cover.

Mark
Old 12-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
traclbobl
Established Member

M.O.C. #19199
Hey Florida Flockers
We are from Madison Florida . Also newbies !! Welcome !! We have a 3661 RL !! Just stopping by to say hello !!
traclbobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to learn and share. Enjoy your new rig!

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
The DS1 FLT lite is the light that will come on if your water heater does lite on gas.
Uh Michelle, didn't you mean to write "..if your water heater DOESN'T light on gas..."? The light (LED) is illuminated when you first turn on the gas side of the water heater. Once a flame is detected, it turns off. At least that is how mine (and my previous one) worked.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
traclbobl
Established Member

M.O.C. #19199
Thank you !! Trying to learn how it works too !! :-)
traclbobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #10
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
Thanks for the inputs folks, the DS1FLT inputs were spot on, when the gas ignites the light comes on. As suggested tried cycling the CB, pushing resets under the water heater cover for our problem with electric water heater. No joy. Tried cycling CB, pushing resets, ran the hot water out and left for about 2 hours. Came back & no hot water. Back to gas and all is well. As much as I am dreading it, guess I am headed back to CW. Think I'd prefer a root canal or sharp stick in the eye. One more rookie question, any thoughts on draining the hot water tank before parking it for a few weeks. With our Coachman we'd just unscrew the large (3/4"?) plug under the cover and let it drain. Thanks again, Joe.
FloridaFlockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #11
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFlockers View Post
Thanks for the inputs folks, the DS1FLT inputs were spot on, when the gas ignites the light comes on. As suggested tried cycling the CB, pushing resets under the water heater cover for our problem with electric water heater. No joy. Tried cycling CB, pushing resets, ran the hot water out and left for about 2 hours. Came back & no hot water. Back to gas and all is well. As much as I am dreading it, guess I am headed back to CW. Think I'd prefer a root canal or sharp stick in the eye. One more rookie question, any thoughts on draining the hot water tank before parking it for a few weeks. With our Coachman we'd just unscrew the large (3/4"?) plug under the cover and let it drain. Thanks again, Joe.
The switch everyone is a rocker switch, not the reset.. Mine is down on the left side.

Mark
Old 12-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You might be able to do a little diagnosis before subjecting yourself to CW. Pop out the black rocker switch outside on the heater itself. Is there 120V on both sides of the switch? If there is, then check the voltage at the heater element. If someone turned the heater on with no water in the tank, the heater is toast. Check the ohms on it to see if it is open or not. They can be bough at most hardware stores for less than $20.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #13
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
DS1 FLT = Direct Spark Ignition Fault
Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #14
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFlockers View Post

You are not required to take any appliance back to the dealer. No idea why people do. It only adds to back logs. If in your shoes I'd email the manufacturer for a list of mobile techs that handle warranty items for them in your area. The manufacturer will NOT pay for the service call but that $50 or so is better than hauling it into a dealer if more than a few miles away. Even more so if the dealer is going to wait on warranty approval and parts. Talk to a mobile guy, get it done at your location, get it done faster.
The guy that washes my 5er comes to me, the guy that does the my bearings comes to me,
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote