Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
LEVEL-UP on Extreme side to side angle

A friend with level-up had to go for service to have a rear cylinder replaced because the piston was bent.

He used the level up and the curb side pistons were fully extended or very close (I assume - because he told me the tires were off the ground and could be turned). So I "assume" both curb side pistons were fully extended or darn close.

He used the "auto hook up" (left and right arrow) it raised the nose of the rv.

Now here is where I "assume" the damage happened. With both curb side pistons fully extended there was no way the front curb piston could accept any more fluid from the rear piston when it tried to compress. This caused the curb side rear piston to remain fully extended and received more weight than expected. Now the actual bending may have happened when hitching up or with the extra weight. I don't know.

So I now watch my location and if I have that situation where the rear tires are off the ground I retract (manually) the rear cylinders before raising to hook up.

I am using four inch blocks on my wheel cylinders and a six inch block on the nose cylinders. I feel this will help from getting into a fully extended situation.

I hope to remember to raise the wheel cylinders if I have a tire off the ground situation as described above.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
vangoes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10367
I always manually retract my rear jacks before I use the auto hook up function. It doesn't make sense to me to have all the jacks down when hooking up plus it does not seem to be truly the same position as when unhooked if the rear jacks are having any supporting effect at all. Just IMHO
vangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Billorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13379
I agree with vangoes, I never saw any instructions but it made sense to me to raise all the rear level up pads and then adjust the pin for hook up, I have had the wheels off the ground when level while camping, John are you saying that we should avoid that, or just make sure we use blocks to keep the piston from fully extending-- thanks
Billorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Before level up I always retracted the rear stabilizers. It make sense, to me, to manually raise the rear level ups prior to hooking up. Now I just need to remember to do it.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Billorn

I agree with vangoes, I never saw any instructions but it made sense to me to raise all the rear level up pads and then adjust the pin for hook up, I have had the wheels off the ground when level while camping, John are you saying that we should avoid that, or just make sure we use blocks to keep the piston from fully extending-- thanks
It is my opinion that you should raise the rear jacks unless you are confident the rear cylinders have enough travel to not bind in the auto hook up raise mode. Therefore if any of the wheels are off the ground then it could be a problem. By using blocks I allow the rear cylinders more travel in the auto hookup mode, however full extension must be monitored.

All I was trying to do is help alert folks to be conscious of their environment and not accidentally damage like my friend.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I always just push the buttons. Guess I've been lucky, unless I have the nose way down she always raises to unhook hight.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks John!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Good information, John.

We don't use the auto hookup feature. Rather, we raise the 4 rear jacks and rear stabilizers and then orientate the 5er to the right position for hook up. Takes a few extra steps, but has worked for us.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
When I PDI'ed my unit, the tech taught me to raise the rear then manually adjust the front to hitch up. He didn't explain why, but said to only use the auto level feature and ignore the auto hook-up.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I too bring up rear pistons manually. I have had three pistons replaced under warranty. Not from my usage, but cracks developing in housings and fluid leaking down pistons.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #11
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
When I push the left and right buttons when hooking back up the rear jacks raise up and then the front levels me to unhook spot. I have the 4 point Lipert electric leveling system on my High Country.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Neil.M

When I push the left and right buttons when hooking back up the rear jacks raise up and then the front levels me to unhook spot. I have the 4 point Lipert electric leveling system on my High Country.
I feel that is the correct way the software should work. I feel you hook up exactly opposite to the way you set up. Before auto leveling the rear legs come down last so they should go up first before the nose adjust to the correct height.
Just my opinion.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:23 AM   #13
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
I always put the rear and side jacks up first, then hit the auto level (left/right) buttons. It doesn't always put me in perfect position, but normally within a quick jog on the down button. Very convenient, particularly depending on how much adjustment by the auto-level was needed at the time I unhooked.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
I use the return to hitch height mode, hook up to truck, then utilize the auto-retract to raise all jacks. Painless and effortless.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote